Sway control

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Graydude

I hope someone can help a desperate man. The wife won't ride in our 1998 Fleetwood flair, 31 foot with the Ford 460 chassis.  It's a class A.  The problem is my wife thinks the coach sways too much and does not want to ride in it.  Granted its an older coach but it only has 22k miles.  Here is what I've already installed:
1.  Super steer rear Trac bar
2.  New Blisten shocks all around
3.  Urethane bushings

The front sways bar is 1.65 inches thick and the rear is 1.55 inches thick.  I have leaf springs all around.  Has anyone else installed anything that helped?

Thanks !

I used firestone airbags on my 99 pace arrow  helped out a lot, 50lbs of air in them. Easy install for 1 person

Air bags should help stiffen it up a bit, and there are probably stiffer anti-sway bars available to reduce the roll somewhat.  Whether that will assuage your wife's discomfort is a more difficult question, since a motorhome is inherently top-heavy and tilts or sways much more than a car, plus her seat position is much higher and thus actually moves more distance when the coach leans. Some people are very sensitive to that motion and find it literally sickening, and some people are simply alarmed at the unfamiliar motion.

Thanks gentlemen.  Since I posted I've done quite a bit more research and it seems like a front Trac bar will help.  The coach does not roll so much as require constant steering wheel input.  This rocking side to side from steering input is what bothers my wife.  Any successes  with a front Trac bar?

I had a 1999 Winnebago and had a problem with swaying. Took back to where I purchased (new) because I thought I had a problem. There was no problem the dealer stated that the Ford chassis had a problem with what they called rut track. Meaning the ruts in the road from the trucks keep pulling the motor home and when I tried steering to correct it caused the coach to sway. I had the Davis tru-track installed in the front and it fixed my problem. Traveled 60K before I sold with smooth steering.

Yup, you put the first track bar on the wrong end. Those older 460 Ford chassis didn't need a rear track bar. The front track bar will help considerably. Check the toe in. It should be 3/32" to 1/8" toe in.

Back
Top Bottom