Chassis batteries aren't charged from shore power

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KandT

Also it seems my Chassis batts are only charging when the engine is running - not even on shore power.  My Dimensions panel at the bottom on the main panels is blank so not sure if that is effecting it??

Any ideas??

edit by staff - split this post off another thread and made it a new topic

KandT said:
Also it seems my Chassis batts are only charging when the engine is running - not even on shore power.
Yes, that's correct. You need to add either a Trik-L-Start or a Xantrex Echo~Charge. There's a service tip from Winnebago about how to install one and we have discussed this many times over the years. Find the service tip link in the Winnebago and Chassis Resources thread near the top of this Winnie board.

I am so appreciative of the information freely shared on this forum.  Thank you!

John Canfield said:
I believe Winnie began adding them as standard equipment starting with the 2007 (2008?) model year for diesel pushers.

2006.  More recent models have a different system with a Battery Isolation Manager (BIM) that replaces the 'Battery Boost' solenoid and the Trik-L-Start.

KandT said:
Also it seems my Chassis batts are only charging when the engine is running - not even on shore power.  My Dimensions panel at the bottom on the main panels is blank so not sure if that is effecting it??

Any ideas??

edit by staff - split this post off another thread and made it a new topic

I've used the Stanley FatMax BC8S smart charger/maintainer to keep the chassis battery charged while plugged in. Doesn't need any installation, or special wiring, so it can be easily moved from vehicle to vehicle, if desired.
To use it, plug your motorhome into shore power to "light up" the coach's AC wall outlets. Then plug the BC8S 110-120AC plug into one of them near an "always hot" 12V DC outlet, and plug the 12V DC cigar lighter adapter into the 12V DC "always hot" outlet, push the mode selector buttons for your particular requirements, and you're done. It has colored charging status lights to tell you what's happening. I have my RV/vehicles parked so that I can see the lights from the kitchen window, when we're not out on the road.
Here's where they can be purchased...
https://www.amazon.com/STANLEY-BC8S-Battery-Charger-Maintainer/dp/B00PZ0PMSA
I think Walmart also sells them for around $40.

Then plug the BC8S 110-120AC plug into one of them near an "always hot" 12V DC outlet, and plug the 12V DC cigar lighter adapter into the 12V DC "always hot" outlet, push the mode selector buttons for your particular requirements, and you're done.

That works IF that "always hot 12v DC outlet" is powered by the chassis battery. Many rigs have some 12v outlets wired to the house battery, with only the one(s) on the dash connected to the chassis system.

Ummmm, yup, that's all true and good, Gary. I guess I was giving most folks on here the benefit of the doubt on that one. 
The user has to know which 12VDC outlets run off which batteries for this to work. Honestly, I think most folks do, or can figure it out.

The Trik-L-Start is only 30 bucks. I know some use a separate 120V trickle charger for the chassis battery but I think the best solution is to hard-wire a box in. It's always there and always working. One less thing to keep up with (and it's getting harder and harder to keep up with stuff  :p.)

Your point about hard wired "set it and forget it" technology is valid, and probably preferred by many.

Makes you wonder why charging/maintaining all batteries from shore power isn't standard functionality from the factory for all motorhomes. Considering some/most upfitters go to the trouble of adding a battery separator and a combiner (battery assist) switch to boost the chassis battery from the coach batteries when necessary. Depending on the make/model of motorhome, sometimes the coach and chassis batteries are sitting next to each other. Can't make it much easier than that, as far as charging everything together. Yet only certain rigs come with this capability, as pointed out earlier in this thread. Maybe that's the problem. If the coach and chassis batteries are farther apart by design than they are in some class A (under the inside steps?) rigs, maybe it's not worth the effort, if you're already installing the battery assist option.

I noted that the Winnebago One Place Systems Monitor Panel on the 2018 Navions have the ability to check the status of the chassis battery as well as the coach batteries. Interesting feature. I have to research that one.

I suggested using the coach's AC outlets when on shore power as a power source for a portable smart charger/maintainer as an option that didn't require the user to know anything (except which DC outlets were which, as pointed out by Gary) about battery polarity and running and connecting the wiring. Mostly for the safety of the "electrically challenged", like me. It's the option I chose because it was completely DIY, simple and safe, and that's worth the extra $10 to me. You can use the BC8S in other vehicles too, because it's not hard wired to the motorhome. Flexibility of purpose?
As they say, everyone's MMV.  ;)

We installed a T-L-Start shortly after we purchased our coach plug in when in storage and are still on original batteries knock on wood

tugboat said:
We installed a T-L-Start shortly after we purchased our coach plug in when in storage and are still on original batteries knock on wood

Best things about Trik-L-Start:  No plug in is required - it works only when the coach is on shore/generator power.  Also it is very simple to install.  I put mine right in the battery box and attached the wires to the battery posts.

Bill

Found a couple of Trik L Start install videos, in case anyone is wondering how easy or difficult it might be to install one. I have no idea if these installations are typical or not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gukUIZ58oKw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EudHcxIhbU

As always, YMMV. :)

Bill N said:
Best things about Trik-L-Start:  No plug in is required - it works only when the coach is on shore/generator power.  Also it is very simple to install.  I put mine right in the battery box and attached the wires to the battery posts.

Bill

Also works from solar if installed making ideal for storage if outside in the sun

John Hilley said:
Also works from solar if installed making ideal for storage if outside in the sun

Yep, I forgot that John.  I didn't think that the solar unit was very large but I guess over time it could be useful in keeping things charged up.  Mine is stored inside.

Bill

My Trik-L-Start is installed up front behind the fuse and breaker panel, why they put it there I dunno. Would have made more sense to put it in the battery bay. The only reason I would keep an external charger around would have as a spare, but with 1/2KW on the roof I already have one

Back
Top Bottom