Password Nightmares

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Heli_av8tor

Remembering passwords has become a nightmare.

Are any of you using one of the programs to manage passwords and have any recommendations?

Tom

I've been using KeePass Password Safe for a number of years, and it's been solid. The auto-type feature makes it really easy to enter user names and passwords automatically. Or you can view/type them manually, and a few other options. There is also a 'portable' version for your phone or tablet.

Heli_av8tor said:
Remembering passwords has become a nightmare.

Are any of you using one of the programs to manage passwords and have any recommendations?

I created a ?standard? password that has capital letters, numbers and and a symbol which the has a letter added to make it site specific but easy for me to remember (for example ?AE? for American Express). Didn?t like the idea of all my passwords being stored by a single application.

I've used Ascendo DataVault Password Manager for years.....probably 5 or more.  There is also a mobile version for Android and Apple.  It's a very solid program and it's very easy to sync your home computer/laptop/mobile device so that you really only have to enter the info on, let's say the home computer.  Another advantage of course is being able to back up the program's data to a flash drive to store either off site or in a fireproof box of some sort.  I use it on my home computer, phone, tablet, and Surface Pro. 

My usual browser is Firefox, and it has a function to remember passwords for any site visited (I think many browsers do this now).  Creating a Firefox account allows me to log into any Firefox on any computer/device anywhere, and all my passwords are available there too.  Or if I need to use another browser/computer and need a password, I can open up Firefox on my cell phone and search for any password I need.  The system works pretty well!

kdbgoat said:
I use a couple of pieces of paper.

Same here. I basically have three passwords for all the sites I get into. For each site, I have them written down on a piece of paper and keep it in my wallet. I omit some of the characters in the passwords so in case someone finds my password sheet, they will not know what they are.

I have a "set" of passwords based on a cartoon characters from strips I remember as a kid.
Easy enough to remember.

I keep an encrypted excel spreadsheet with all my passwords.  Financial passwords are complex and less risky ones are kept simple.

When creating a password I use a phrase like 'I don't like avocado for 2017' (not a real example) would become 'Idla42017'.

For all you folks that write passwords down, etc....why don't you just get a password manager like some of the ones mentioned above and use it?  Then, all you have to remember is ONE password...the one to open your password manager.  Once the data has been entered, run a backup and copy all the data onto a flash drive/thumb drive so that if you system ever crashes, you simply reinstall the password manager software and then use the thumb drive to "restore" you data.  Then at least, if you can't remember passwords and have to write them down.....you'd only have one to write down!

[quote author=Tom]I've been using KeePass Password Safe for a number of years, and it's been solid.[/quote]

Forgot to mention it uses an encrypted database and a single password to open the DB. Because of the number of sites and functions I need password protected, I'd have no hope of keeping track of the many complex passwords I use.

User names and passwords can be auto typed, copied/pasted, or manually read and typed. I can copy the DB to other devices, including tablets and thumb drives, for parallel use or for backup. I've liked the fact that it is actively supported by the author.

This is not the only solution, but an example of what works. I've seen several similar programs over the years, some of which I've tried/used until they were no longer supported. I'm sure there are a number out there that work just fine for this purpose, but I haven't had a need to research the field for a number of years.

scottydl said:
My usual browser is Firefox, and it has a function to remember passwords for any site visited (I think many browsers do this now).  Creating a Firefox account allows me to log into any Firefox on any computer/device anywhere, and all my passwords are available there too.  Or if I need to use another browser/computer and need a password, I can open up Firefox on my cell phone and search for any password I need.  The system works pretty well!

While it is quite convenient it can be compromised quite easily, I recommend a password safe or an encrypted spreadsheet.

Passwords are like underwear and should be changed regularly.

Rene T said:
Same here. I basically have three passwords for all the sites I get into. For each site, I have them written down on a piece of paper and keep it in my wallet. I omit some of the characters in the passwords so in case someone finds my password sheet, they will not know what they are.

I have a few more passwords than that, but that is essentially what I do.

xrated said:
For all you folks that write passwords down, etc....why don't you just get a password manager like some of the ones mentioned above and use it?  Then, all you have to remember is ONE password...the one to open your password manager.  Once the data has been entered, run a backup and copy all the data onto a flash drive/thumb drive so that if you system ever crashes, you simply reinstall the password manager software and then use the thumb drive to "restore" you data.  Then at least, if you can't remember passwords and have to write them down.....you'd only have one to write down!

Just as easy to write them on a piece of paper. And the chances of having a piece of paper hacked is pretty low. ;D

ruthandken CDN said:
I use LastPass.  Have done for years.  I think it's a great program.

Ditto works on Chrome book (Chrome browser) WIndows (Assorted browsers) and my Androids.

So long as I remember my LP Log in I can go to any computer. and do a one-time log in and then go to any pw protected site.. Had to do that to rent a car back in 2013 Used the rental's computer to access my E-mail so I could print out a copy of my phone bill.

With 9 computers and 8 employees I manage all password using Keepass, both at work and at home.
It's a very easy to use encryption program. At the moment I am re-configuring to have the database stored on my FTP site for a single point access. As previously stated you only need to remember just one password.

I hate passwords ...and underwear. 

The last time someone got into my account...they left me a note saying they hope things get better.  :)

TonyDtorch said:
I hate passwords ...and underwear.

The last time they got into my account...they left me a note saying they hope things get better.  :)

Well you have no choice on one of them but you do have a choice on the other one.  :eek: ::) ;D

According to my KeyPass tray, I have 12 groups and 483 entries (71 business, 6 banking, 10 financial as well as other personal entries). Would not be without it. Easily transferable from my home computer to the motorhome desktop when I take off for a trip. Got turned on to this program by an Ice Cream vendor I vended next to at the Blythe CA bluegrass festival.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom