Password Nightmares

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What happens when you forget your password to KeyPass ?

I really hate you can never re-use your favorite password,  if you have re-set it.

TonyDtorch said:
What happens when you forget your password to KeyPass ?
You forget all the others. Anyone should be able to remember just one. Also It is unique to me and can be obtained alternately. The vendor I worked next to had a sealed envelope with the password in it that he gave to the executor of his estate should he or his wife pass.

While it's imperative to use different passwords, you only really need to remember 1... This would be the passphrase to an encrypted file!

I have more than 150 passwords for the many web sites, mail servers, hosting servers, financial accounts, emails, forums, etc. I use both the browser save password function (all modern browsers have this) and https://1password.com. For the browser (both Safari and Chrome), all passwords are stored in keychain in iCloud, so they are both on my MacBook Pro and on my iPhone since both are logged into iCloud.

Remember that passwords MUST BE secure and a combo of upper case, lower case, numbers and characters. Do not use dictionary words, nor sequences that are human generated. In general, passwords that are human generated are insecure. Passwords that are suggested by the browser or other software are generally secure.

wincom6 said:
I have a Microsoft Word Document with all passwords and it’s password protected. Is this to unsafe?

I do the same with a spreadsheet and keep it on  thumb drive. i don't plug it into PC unless I need to check it.

I have a Microsoft Word Document with all passwords and it?s password protected. Is this to unsafe?

Assume it's stored in your computer.  Take it one step farther and put the entire list on an external disk (floppy, CD), then erase the document from your computer.  Put the disk somewhere safe and, even if someone accesses your computer, they will not find your passwords.  We don't use any commercial software for ours and we do not store it in the cloud or anywhere else that can be hacked.  Also, every password is different, with those for financial systems very complex.

ArdraF

John From Detroit said:
Ditto works on Chrome book (Chrome browser) WIndows (Assorted browsers) and my Androids.

So long as I remember my LP Log in I can go to any computer. and do a one-time log in and then go to any pw protected site.. Had to do that to rent a car back in 2013 Used the rental's computer to access my E-mail so I could print out a copy of my phone bill.

I also use LastPass and have enabled two-factor authentication.  If I log in from an unfamiliar device the system will send a text message to the phone registered to my account. After entering the code I can complete the log-in.

As for remembering the master password for LastPass, I use a "special" PW that I don't use anywhere else nor do I permit myself to use any variants of it on any other sites.  It is truly unique to my LastPass account.

Another Lastpass user. Been using it for over 5 years. No problems. Its had very good reviews from the security experts. It has a security challenge area that will check all your passwords for duplicates and complexity.

I've been using Keeper Password Manager for quite a few years and have been very happy with the security. I change my password for keeper and all financial sites once a month.

All password managers are excellent until they are hacked, in my opinion. I do not like the idea of cloud based password management because if a competent hacker breaks into the system (remember all the major systems that have been hacked recently?), then all your passwords are vulnerable.

There is no perfect management system, but keeping it simple is likely the best method - maybe paper, or Word/Excel document on a flash drive. After all, how much identity theft was there before the Internet?

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

I pretty much through a dart at the ones that got several mentions and ended up with LastPass. Actually I thought I was trying the same one as Tom (KeePass) until I reread this topic. LOL

Will see how it goes. There's a lot to learn...

Tom

Thank you. Pretty much back to normal (whatever that is!) ::) Your avatar had me concerned about you, but I saw another post explaining the walker. Bet she's not going to tolerate that ruse for long! ;D

I've been using an app called Cypher Bot for iOS to encrypt passwords, than saved openly in Notes & Cloud.

Here's one of my passwords.... (Encrypted) +3dBzp+mWgZtsa0PEZr6hX2VcjeCqPCYBuG/zer1h2o=

Back in my IT days, I'd simply use combination of clients name & address (uppercase, lowercase, numeric) 

Heli_av8tor said:
Remembering passwords has become a nightmare.

Are any of you using one of the programs to manage passwords and have any recommendations?

Tom

I use firefox (since first release) and there is an extension that will save out all your login and password info which I then import into a spread sheeet to print out.  Last count I had 150+ accounts/sites that required a password.  I keep the print out close and safe.

Tom said:
I've been using KeePass Password Safe for a number of years, and it's been solid. The auto-type feature makes it really easy to enter user names and passwords automatically. Or you can view/type them manually, and a few other options. There is also a 'portable' version for your phone or tablet.

X1:  Love this program!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom