EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Password Nightmares  (Read 1896 times)

pz

• ---
Re: Password Nightmares
« Reply #30 on: December 24, 2017, 12:33:16 PM »
All password managers are excellent until they are hacked, in my opinion. I do not like the idea of cloud based password management because if a competent hacker breaks into the system (remember all the major systems that have been hacked recently?), then all your passwords are vulnerable.

There is no perfect management system, but keeping it simple is likely the best method - maybe paper, or Word/Excel document on a flash drive. After all, how much identity theft was there before the Internet?
« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 12:35:19 PM by pz »
PZ
----
2011 Rockwood 8288SS
2012 Ram 3500 6.7L Cummins

Heli_av8tor

• ---
« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2017, 10:23:23 AM »
Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

I pretty much through a dart at the ones that got several mentions and ended up with LastPass. Actually I thought I was trying the same one as Tom (KeePass) until I reread this topic. LOL

Will see how it goes. There's a lot to learn...

Tom
Tom & Theresa
2004 Pace Arrow 37C, Workhorse W22, 8.1 Vortec
2014 Honda CR-V Toad, Roadmaster -5 Base and tow bar
SMI Stay and Play Duo Brake system

Oldgator73

• ---
« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2017, 01:08:27 PM »
I use a couple of pieces of paper.

Same here. I keep it in the desk across from the couch and update it as needed. I make a copy when we are going to be away for more than a couple of days.
Retired Air Force
2016 Winnie Drop
2016 Nissan Frontier

kdbgoat

• ---
« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2017, 01:36:22 PM »
Hey Gator! Great to see ya" back! :) 8)
I know you believe you understand what you think I said,
But I am not sure you realize what you heard is not what I meant

2016 Leprechaun 319DS

Oldgator73

• ---
« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2017, 01:48:43 PM »
Hey Gator! Great to see ya" back! :) 8)

Sorry to hear about your medical problems. Hope you're recovery is progressing well.
Retired Air Force
2016 Winnie Drop
2016 Nissan Frontier

kdbgoat

• ---
« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2017, 02:06:53 PM »
Thank you. Pretty much back to normal (whatever that is!) ::) Your avatar had me concerned about you, but I saw another post explaining the walker. Bet she's not going to tolerate that ruse for long! ;D
I know you believe you understand what you think I said,
But I am not sure you realize what you heard is not what I meant

2016 Leprechaun 319DS

ileenback

« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2017, 11:42:22 AM »
I've been using an app called Cypher Bot for iOS to encrypt passwords, than saved openly in Notes & Cloud.

Here's one of my passwords.... (Encrypted) +3dBzp+mWgZtsa0PEZr6hX2VcjeCqPCYBuG/zer1h2o=

Back in my IT days, I'd simply use combination of clients name & address (uppercase, lowercase, numeric) 

2015 Roadtrek SS Agile (2500 Class B  Sprinter)
300 Watt Solar & 2.5 KW Onan

decaturbob

• ---
« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2018, 08:54:43 PM »
Remembering passwords has become a nightmare.

Are any of you using one of the programs to manage passwords and have any recommendations?

Tom

I use firefox (since first release) and there is an extension that will save out all your login and password info which I then import into a spread sheeet to print out.  Last count I had 150+ accounts/sites that required a password.  I keep the print out close and safe.
proud to have a 2008 Tioga 31M MH

davismills

• ---
« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2018, 04:46:49 AM »
I've been using KeePass Password Safe for a number of years, and it's been solid. The auto-type feature makes it really easy to enter user names and passwords automatically. Or you can view/type them manually, and a few other options. There is also a 'portable' version for your phone or tablet.

X1:  Love this program!
2011 Winnebago Sightseer
2011 Honda CRV
Lovely wife and ugly dog

JackL

• ---
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2018, 04:53:49 AM »
I have you all beat.
 I don't have any. That is my wife's job.

Jack L

Bill N

• ---
« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2018, 06:47:39 AM »
Basically I keep all mine  in an address book but I do let Chrome remember the ones that will cause no harm if hacked - like RV Forum.....lol
But one problem I don't see mentioned here for folks who use the thumb drives - many of my sites required frequent password changes - banks, government sites, medical sites, etc.  These always seem to be sites that I don't frequent too often and when I do I find it is password change time.  So you would be needing to change the thumb drive with every site change too.  Other than one or two sites I really don't have any that would endanger me if those passwords were compromised.  Like many others, my bank notifies me immediately if an unusual large transaction is made to my account.  I have now become accustomed to notifying them in advance. Today I buy a new portable oxygen concentrator so I will notify them before they get excited.  I do appreciate that service.

Bill
Bill & Joan N in Missouri
USAF (Ret)
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 35U
Workhorse W22, 8.1L Chevy V8
2013 Chevy Sonic Toad
Furbearers:  Heidi-17(Forever), Grace-11 & Squeak-5, Winnie - 10 months

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2018, 10:13:13 AM »
Last Pass is the one I use...  Wrks with FF, Chrome. MSIE, and I think Edge, and likely more. WOrks on Win-10, Win-XP, Chromebook, Android and I don't know what else. Likely linux  Once I log into Last Pass I have my entire bokmarks file, in a searchable database, and I have all the passwords.. Highly encrypted.
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

Bill N

• ---
« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2018, 07:27:28 AM »
Last Pass is the one I use...  Wrks with FF, Chrome. MSIE, and I think Edge, and likely more. WOrks on Win-10, Win-XP, Chromebook, Android and I don't know what else. Likely linux  Once I log into Last Pass I have my entire bokmarks file, in a searchable database, and I have all the passwords.. Highly encrypted.

Crazy question John.  If you have to log into a web site to save your passwords, would not that web master have all your information and that of a lot of other folks?  In other words could his system be hacked like every big business seems to be getting hacked these days?

Bill
Bill & Joan N in Missouri
USAF (Ret)
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 35U
Workhorse W22, 8.1L Chevy V8
2013 Chevy Sonic Toad
Furbearers:  Heidi-17(Forever), Grace-11 & Squeak-5, Winnie - 10 months

Oldgator73

• ---
« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2018, 08:16:15 AM »
Crazy question John.  If you have to log into a web site to save your passwords, would not that web master have all your information and that of a lot of other folks?  In other words could his system be hacked like every big business seems to be getting hacked these days?

Bill

When your vital information is stolen, is it being done by hacking passwords? Aren't bank accounts and SSAN's stolen by means other than obtaining PW's? Bill and others that were in the military might remember when we paid by check at the commissary and BX, PX and NEX, we had to have our name, full address, phone number and SSAN printed on the front of the check. Just sitting out there for everyone to see. I keep my PW's on a sheet of paper in the top drawer of a desk in the living room. I retired from the DoD in 2015. We had to have PW's for everything. The government went to CAC, access cards, that replaced the military ID. CAC's are used for everything; base access, computer access, etc. SSAN's used to be printed on military ID,s but no more. Neither AD CAC's nor retired ID's include the SSAN. I would like to have the same PW for everything but it seems the PW requirements vary between those that require PW's to access.
Retired Air Force
2016 Winnie Drop
2016 Nissan Frontier

Old_Crow

• ---
  • Former USAF F-4 crew chief
« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2018, 09:39:56 AM »
I would like to have the same PW for everything but it seems the PW requirements vary between those that require PW's to access.

Find the site you use with the most robust password.  ie, number, symbol, uppercase letter, lowercase letter.  Make up a password that satisfies that and then change all your less robust passwords to match.   I'm in the middle of that right now.  It make take time, but it can be done.
I have one password for financial and business sites and a different one for recreational sites like forums and facebook.
Wally Crow
Retired 30 year ASE Master Auto Tech
Y2K Bounder 36S F53
'03 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

Sun2Retire

• Photo moderator
  • ---
« Reply #45 on: January 16, 2018, 09:57:26 AM »
Find the site you use with the most robust password.  ie, number, symbol, uppercase letter, lowercase letter.  Make up a password that satisfies that and then change all your less robust passwords to match.   I'm in the middle of that right now.  It make take time, but it can be done.
I have one password for financial and business sites and a different one for recreational sites like forums and facebook.

This is essentially what I did several years ago. I have a basic "core" section of a master password that satisfies the requirements of virtually every site. The "core" is made up of a couple of notable dates using letters and numbers, including a couple of capitals plus a symbol. I then add a letter or two to the end, unique to each site (e.g., the RV Forum might have "RVF" appended to the end). In this way I have a unique password for every single site, very strong, and yet easy to remember. I do have a Word document with a list, but that list is just a set of URLs with reminders that would be gibberish to anyone except me. I can then log in to almost every site without referring to my list, with the very occasional site that didn't, for example, allow the symbol I chose.
Scott
Fulltiming in a 2005 Newmar Dutch Star 3810, Spartan, Cat C7 350
Eezrv TPMS, VMSpc, 800W Solar
2002 Dodge RAM 1500 Quad Cab toad
Stowmaster towbar & Brakemaster toad braking system

Hosted by Over The Network