rvupgradestore.com Composet Products
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: Password Nightmares  (Read 3697 times)

Heli_av8tor

• ---
Password Nightmares
« on: December 22, 2017, 06:42:48 PM »
Remembering passwords has become a nightmare.

Are any of you using one of the programs to manage passwords and have any recommendations?

Tom
Tom & Theresa
2004 Pace Arrow 37C, Workhorse W22, 8.1 Vortec
2014 Honda CR-V Toad, Roadmaster -5 Base and tow bar
SMI Stay and Play Duo Brake system

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
  • Celebrating 25 years of The RV Forum online.
    • RV Forum web site
Re: Password Nightmares
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2017, 06:50:43 PM »
I've been using KeePass Password Safe for a number of years, and it's been solid. The auto-type feature makes it really easy to enter user names and passwords automatically. Or you can view/type them manually, and a few other options. There is also a 'portable' version for your phone or tablet.
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

Sun2Retire

• Photo moderator
  • ---
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2017, 06:53:05 PM »
Remembering passwords has become a nightmare.

Are any of you using one of the programs to manage passwords and have any recommendations?

I created a “standard” password that has capital letters, numbers and and a symbol which the has a letter added to make it site specific but easy for me to remember (for example “AE” for American Express). Didn’t like the idea of all my passwords being stored by a single application.
Scott
Fulltiming in a 2005 Newmar Dutch Star 3810, Spartan, Cat C7 350
Eezrv TPMS, 970W Solar, Tri-Metric Battery monitor
2002 Dodge RAM 1500 Quad Cab toad
Stowmaster towbar & Brakemaster toad braking system

ruthandken CDN

• ---
    • Five - Just Rolling Down the Road
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2017, 07:21:51 PM »
I use LastPass.  Have done for years.  I think it's a great program.
Ken & Ruth,
fur kid, Jackson(golden retriever)
2013 Jayco Pinnacle 36 REQS
2011 F350 Ford Super Duty Dually with crew cub
Dogs are not my whole life but they made my life whole.
http://fivejustrolling.blogspot.com/

xrated

• ---
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2017, 07:45:50 PM »
I've used Ascendo DataVault Password Manager for years.....probably 5 or more.  There is also a mobile version for Android and Apple.  It's a very solid program and it's very easy to sync your home computer/laptop/mobile device so that you really only have to enter the info on, let's say the home computer.  Another advantage of course is being able to back up the program's data to a flash drive to store either off site or in a fireproof box of some sort.  I use it on my home computer, phone, tablet, and Surface Pro. 
2016 F350 Crew Cab Dually King Ranch Diesel
2017 Keystone Fuzion Impact 303
Track Bike  2008 GSX-R750
"If it ain't Fast......It ain't Fun

scottydl

• Admin assist
  • ---
  • Central IL
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2017, 07:51:29 PM »
My usual browser is Firefox, and it has a function to remember passwords for any site visited (I think many browsers do this now).  Creating a Firefox account allows me to log into any Firefox on any computer/device anywhere, and all my passwords are available there too.  Or if I need to use another browser/computer and need a password, I can open up Firefox on my cell phone and search for any password I need.  The system works pretty well!
Scott, wife, 3 boys... and the dog
- 2008 Forest River Wildwood 32BHDS
- 1995 Chevrolet Suburban C2500 tow vehicle
- 1994 Thor Residency motorhome... owned 2007-2012

kdbgoat

• ---
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2017, 08:43:18 PM »
I use a couple of pieces of paper.
I know you believe you understand what you think I said,
But I am not sure you realize what you heard is not what I meant

2016 Leprechaun 319DS

Rene T

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Every day is payday and every payday I have off
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2017, 09:14:43 PM »
I use a couple of pieces of paper.

Same here. I basically have three passwords for all the sites I get into. For each site, I have them written down on a piece of paper and keep it in my wallet. I omit some of the characters in the passwords so in case someone finds my password sheet, they will not know what they are.
Rene, Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

LarsMac

• ---
  • Larry and Margo With Ami the Chi-cha
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2017, 09:40:17 PM »
I have a "set" of passwords based on a cartoon characters from strips I remember as a kid.
Easy enough to remember.

2000 Itasca Sundancer 430V
2007 Saturn Vue

"The trouble with people isn't that they don't know, but that they know so much that ain't so."

8Muddypaws

• ---
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2017, 11:26:04 PM »
I keep an encrypted excel spreadsheet with all my passwords.  Financial passwords are complex and less risky ones are kept simple.

When creating a password I use a phrase like 'I don't like avocado for 2017' (not a real example) would become 'Idla42017'.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 11:35:43 PM by 8Muddypaws »
Retired computer professional
Musician, songwriter and music director
2006 Bounder 34H, 2008 CR-V Toad

xrated

• ---
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2017, 02:27:26 AM »
For all you folks that write passwords down, etc....why don't you just get a password manager like some of the ones mentioned above and use it?  Then, all you have to remember is ONE password...the one to open your password manager.  Once the data has been entered, run a backup and copy all the data onto a flash drive/thumb drive so that if you system ever crashes, you simply reinstall the password manager software and then use the thumb drive to "restore" you data.  Then at least, if you can't remember passwords and have to write them down.....you'd only have one to write down!
2016 F350 Crew Cab Dually King Ranch Diesel
2017 Keystone Fuzion Impact 303
Track Bike  2008 GSX-R750
"If it ain't Fast......It ain't Fun

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2017, 05:38:16 AM »
Quote from: Tom
I've been using KeePass Password Safe for a number of years, and it's been solid.

Forgot to mention it uses an encrypted database and a single password to open the DB. Because of the number of sites and functions I need password protected, I'd have no hope of keeping track of the many complex passwords I use.

User names and passwords can be auto typed, copied/pasted, or manually read and typed. I can copy the DB to other devices, including tablets and thumb drives, for parallel use or for backup. I've liked the fact that it is actively supported by the author.

This is not the only solution, but an example of what works. I've seen several similar programs over the years, some of which I've tried/used until they were no longer supported. I'm sure there are a number out there that work just fine for this purpose, but I haven't had a need to research the field for a number of years.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 06:56:18 AM by Tom »

Daffy

• ---
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2017, 06:22:52 AM »
My usual browser is Firefox, and it has a function to remember passwords for any site visited (I think many browsers do this now).  Creating a Firefox account allows me to log into any Firefox on any computer/device anywhere, and all my passwords are available there too.  Or if I need to use another browser/computer and need a password, I can open up Firefox on my cell phone and search for any password I need.  The system works pretty well!

While it is quite convenient it can be compromised quite easily, I recommend a password safe or an encrypted spreadsheet.

Passwords are like underwear and should be changed regularly.
1999 Itasca Sunflyer 36L

kdbgoat

• ---
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2017, 06:38:19 AM »
Same here. I basically have three passwords for all the sites I get into. For each site, I have them written down on a piece of paper and keep it in my wallet. I omit some of the characters in the passwords so in case someone finds my password sheet, they will not know what they are.

I have a few more passwords than that, but that is essentially what I do.

For all you folks that write passwords down, etc....why don't you just get a password manager like some of the ones mentioned above and use it?  Then, all you have to remember is ONE password...the one to open your password manager.  Once the data has been entered, run a backup and copy all the data onto a flash drive/thumb drive so that if you system ever crashes, you simply reinstall the password manager software and then use the thumb drive to "restore" you data.  Then at least, if you can't remember passwords and have to write them down.....you'd only have one to write down!

Just as easy to write them on a piece of paper. And the chances of having a piece of paper hacked is pretty low. ;D
I know you believe you understand what you think I said,
But I am not sure you realize what you heard is not what I meant

2016 Leprechaun 319DS

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2017, 06:54:48 AM »
I use LastPass.  Have done for years.  I think it's a great program.

Ditto works on Chrome book (Chrome browser) WIndows (Assorted browsers) and my Androids.

So long as I remember my LP Log in I can go to any computer. and do a one-time log in and then go to any pw protected site.. Had to do that to rent a car back in 2013 Used the rental's computer to access my E-mail so I could print out a copy of my phone bill.
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

Corky

• ---
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2017, 06:57:45 AM »
With 9 computers and 8 employees I manage all password using Keepass, both at work and at home.
It's a very easy to use encryption program. At the moment I am re-configuring to have the database stored on my FTP site for a single point access. As previously stated you only need to remember just one password.
'05 Itasca Meridian 36G
’15 Jeep Wrangler Orange toad
'86 Suzuki Samurai Camo dirt toad

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2017, 07:00:05 AM »
That makes two of us using Keepass  ;D

TonyDtorch

« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2017, 07:41:02 AM »
I hate passwords ...and underwear. 

The last time someone got into my account...they left me a note saying they hope things get better.   :)
« Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 07:59:39 AM by TonyDtorch »

Rene T

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Every day is payday and every payday I have off
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2017, 07:44:31 AM »
I hate passwords ...and underwear.

The last time they got into my account...they left me a note saying they hope things get better.   :)

Well you have no choice on one of them but you do have a choice on the other one.  :o ::) ;D
Rene, Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

Dick Zeiter

• ---
  • Ready to go exploring
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2017, 07:50:02 AM »
According to my KeyPass tray, I have 12 groups and 483 entries (71 business, 6 banking, 10 financial as well as other personal entries). Would not be without it. Easily transferable from my home computer to the motorhome desktop when I take off for a trip. Got turned on to this program by an Ice Cream vendor I vended next to at the Blythe CA bluegrass festival.
Dick, Char and our Shih Tzu. Muffin
Toledo Ohio
2000 Newmar Dutch Star (160K miles)
Retired from part time bluegrass vending
but still working at a garage door company.
Now using motorhome less frequently.

TonyDtorch

« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2017, 07:58:21 AM »
What happens when you forget your password to KeyPass ?

I really hate you can never re-use your favorite password,  if you have re-set it.

« Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 07:59:58 AM by TonyDtorch »

Dick Zeiter

• ---
  • Ready to go exploring
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2017, 08:04:10 AM »
What happens when you forget your password to KeyPass ?

You forget all the others. Anyone should be able to remember just one. Also It is unique to me and can be obtained alternately. The vendor I worked next to had a sealed envelope with the password in it that he gave to the executor of his estate should he or his wife pass.
Dick, Char and our Shih Tzu. Muffin
Toledo Ohio
2000 Newmar Dutch Star (160K miles)
Retired from part time bluegrass vending
but still working at a garage door company.
Now using motorhome less frequently.

jje1960

• ---
  • Jim
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2017, 10:21:49 AM »
While it's imperative to use different passwords, you only really need to remember 1... This would be the passphrase to an encrypted file!
Jim
2011 Ford F350 DRW 6.7 Diesel
2011 Cougar SRX

ronniebellie

• ---
  • Wife & aiming for full-time in 5 years or less!
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2017, 12:18:08 PM »
I have more than 150 passwords for the many web sites, mail servers, hosting servers, financial accounts, emails, forums, etc. I use both the browser save password function (all modern browsers have this) and https://1password.com. For the browser (both Safari and Chrome), all passwords are stored in keychain in iCloud, so they are both on my MacBook Pro and on my iPhone since both are logged into iCloud.

Remember that passwords MUST BE secure and a combo of upper case, lower case, numbers and characters. Do not use dictionary words, nor sequences that are human generated. In general, passwords that are human generated are insecure. Passwords that are suggested by the browser or other software are generally secure.

wincom6

• ---
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2017, 02:45:34 PM »
I have a Microsoft Word Document with all passwords and it’s password protected. Is this to unsafe?
U.S. Army Veteran
2008 Providence
2013 Chevy Equinox
Pittsburgh, PA
"Congressional term limits in my lifetime."

Lowell

• ---
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2017, 03:43:32 PM »
I have a Microsoft Word Document with all passwords and it’s password protected. Is this to unsafe?

I do the same with a spreadsheet and keep it on  thumb drive. i don't plug it into PC unless I need to check it.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 04:21:29 PM by Lowell »
Lowell

2005 Cherokee28A TT
pulled by 2009 Dodge 1500 Crew Cab 4X4
KF7YET

Tempe, Arizona

ArdraF

• ---
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2017, 05:53:35 PM »

Assume it's stored in your computer.  Take it one step farther and put the entire list on an external disk (floppy, CD), then erase the document from your computer.  Put the disk somewhere safe and, even if someone accesses your computer, they will not find your passwords.  We don't use any commercial software for ours and we do not store it in the cloud or anywhere else that can be hacked.  Also, every password is different, with those for financial systems very complex.

ArdraF
ArdraF
:D :D

docj

• ---
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2017, 06:03:14 PM »
Ditto works on Chrome book (Chrome browser) WIndows (Assorted browsers) and my Androids.

So long as I remember my LP Log in I can go to any computer. and do a one-time log in and then go to any pw protected site.. Had to do that to rent a car back in 2013 Used the rental's computer to access my E-mail so I could print out a copy of my phone bill.

I also use LastPass and have enabled two-factor authentication.  If I log in from an unfamiliar device the system will send a text message to the phone registered to my account. After entering the code I can complete the log-in.

As for remembering the master password for LastPass, I use a "special" PW that I don't use anywhere else nor do I permit myself to use any variants of it on any other sites.  It is truly unique to my LastPass account.
Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/braking system
WiFiRanger Ambassador/RVParkReviews administrator
Follow our adventures on Facebook at www.facebook.com/weisstravels.net

Alaskansnowbirds

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2017, 10:46:11 PM »
Another Lastpass user. Been using it for over 5 years. No problems. Its had very good reviews from the security experts. It has a security challenge area that will check all your passwords for duplicates and complexity.
Don & Peg
Alaska/Arizona
Currently located here.
Weather at Camp Verde, AZ.

Dragginourbedaround

• ---
  • I look out the window and see trees, I'm camping
« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2017, 12:13:39 PM »
I've been using Keeper Password Manager for quite a few years and have been very happy with the security. I change my password for keeper and all financial sites once a month.
Gene

2013 Winnebago Adventurer 37F
2011 Honda Fit