rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: How did you learn to tow a vehicle behind your RV?  (Read 2867 times)

decaturbob

• ---
How did you learn to tow a vehicle behind your RV?
« on: December 23, 2017, 08:27:52 AM »
Just wondering how people went about doing it besides just hooking up and going. I can safely say that my towing experience has been limited to a few times putting a boat into the water and pulling one out, never driving at highway speeds. Love to see hear some tips and suggestions as I'm about a month away from hooking up a toad (flat towing a Ford Escape) to my Class C and heading to Florida.
proud to have a 2008 Tioga 31M MH

SeilerBird

• ---
  • Good things are illegal immoral or over 1000 watts
Re: How did you learn to tow a vehicle behind your RV?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2017, 08:29:57 AM »
There is nothing to learn. It just follows you wherever you go. Pretty simple.
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
Favorite 2017 shots:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/y0HbMU5KYa2hx02E3
My portfolio:
https://goo.gl/photos/Cx4SaYhGfYFShSty7
My Grand Canyon shots:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Nc1AT8tQp25wJwfm1

HappyWanderer

• ---
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2017, 08:31:38 AM »
Are you sure that your Escape can be flat towed? Most if them can't.
WARNING: This post may contain a chemical known to the State of California to cause cancer, or birth defects or other reproductive harm.

Memtb

• ---
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2017, 08:38:22 AM »
   Your biggest concern will be ( and you’ve already experienced this),  making wider turns with something in tow.   Also, possibly a little longer stopping distance. Oh... and fuel stops “will” be more frequent!  ;)

To answer your question directly,  for me.... it was trial and error! You really want to “minimize” the error part!
« Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 08:40:32 AM by Memtb »
Todd and Marianne
Home Base: Winchester, Wy.
Miniature Schnauzers - Sundai, Nellie and Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500,  6.7 Ram 6 speed manual, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom
2007 Bigfoot Class C

LarsMac

• ---
  • Larry and Margo With Ami the Chi-cha
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2017, 09:11:45 AM »
I've been towing stuff since I was 15. It is actually pretty simple. you have to be constantly aware that you have that extra weight and that appendage behind you.
With a car, it can be a lot different than things like boat trailers and such.
If you get into a tight spot, you cannot just back up and start over. the four-wheeled toad will make that near impossible. You have to know whether you can fit or not before you try.

The best way to get the feel of it is to find a big parking lot where you can practice. Get some boxes and weigh them down with bricks to keep the wind from taking them, and create lanes to maneuver around in. Hook up your toad and give it a go.

You can rent a u-haul trailer and drag it around for a while just to get the feel of having the extra length, first, and then try the Toad, too.
It takes some practice, but before long you get the hang of it.
2000 Itasca Sundancer 430V
2007 Saturn Vue

"The trouble with people isn't that they don't know, but that they know so much that ain't so."

edjunior

• ---
  • Roman Forest, TX
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2017, 10:17:07 AM »
I watched Dad a lot, and listened a little, but mostly it was just hook and go.  If you're a little unsure, try pulling around an empty parking lot some until you become more comfortable.  It will come pretty quickly, but never get too comfortable.  Always be aware of what you are doing.

Oh, and it helps immensely to have the right tool for the job.  What I mean by this is, make sure your tow vehicle is enough to safely and comfortably able to pull the trailer you buy.  If it's not, you will be white knuckled every time you get behind the wheel.  A proper tow vehicle makes all the difference.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 10:21:05 AM by edjunior »
Ed.....KF5INW
MSgt, USAF, Retired
2019 F-250 XLT, 6.7L PSD
2010 Forest River Wildcat 28RKBS
"I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!"

Rene T

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Every day is payday and every payday I have off
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2017, 11:29:49 AM »
I too just learnt watching my Dad. When I was 13, I was backing up short utility trailers. Those can be tough. My daughter learnt the same way watching me. When she first got married, they purchased a boat and she always had to back the trailer down the boat ramp. So you see, it's fairly simple. Just needs practice.
Rene, Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

gwcowgill

• ---
  • Retired USAF, Retired Auto Instructor Dade Cty Sch
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2017, 11:42:17 AM »
If you can drive the motor home without the toad, you can drive with the toad:
     1.  No Backing up with the toad in tow
     2.  Account for extra stopping distance because of the weight added
     3.  Make sure your auxiliary brakes are working

your turning radius remains the same with the toad or without and make sure you car can be towed 4 down or with a dolly. I started towing my VW beetle in 1980 but towed other stuff on the farm beginning in 1953.
2009 Bounder 36B, 2014 Honda CR-V, various grandchildren when school is out. KG4LHS
2014 Honda CRV Toad,
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Toad

JoelP

• ---
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2017, 12:19:53 PM »
The biggest difference is that you need to not get yourself into a situation where you need to make too tight of a turn since you cannot back up a toad more than a couple of feet straight back.  I make it a practice to never back up with my toad attached.  Also, i use my rear camera to make sure that the back of the toad has cleared an obstacle like the truck that I am passing.
Joel from San Jose

2010 Itasca Suncruiser 37F
8.1L Chevy Workhorse with Banks PowerPack
2016 CMax Energi Hybrid dinghy

Lou Schneider

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2017, 01:38:41 PM »
   Your biggest concern will be ( and you’ve already experienced this),  making wider turns with something in tow.

Not necessarily.   ;) 

Due to the more narrow width of the tow vehicle, and the motorhome's long rear overhang causing tail swing towards the outside of a turn, some toads will follow the same path as the motorhome's rear tires or actually track wider through a turn.

I've observed this when both my Nissan Sentra and now my Bronco II toad.

Of course, it's best to verify this in advance before taking it for granted.

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Life is better on the road!
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2017, 03:37:39 PM »
And I will add something else to what Lou says. The turn may not have to be wider with the toad, but you may have to hold the arc of the turn longer before starting to straightening the RV back up.  A good example is I was turning into a beach campground in Ca.  The turn was a sweeping right turn off of the street to pull up next to the kiosk. Then exiting the single lane kiosk required a turn back the other way. I cleared the curbs on both sides with the 40' rig, but while turning back the other way cause the rear tire of the Jeep to climb the curb. Nothing you can really do about it other than disconnect and drive each through separately. Not a real common occurrence, but it does happen.

The best advice I can give you is go slow when navigating through turns, and don't worry if the guy behind you wants to test out his horn. He'll get over it.
Marty--
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40SP
Cummins ISL 450 HP/Powerglide chassis
2018 JLU Jeep Sahara
Visit our new travel blog! http://www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchick2018
Support your local Police Officer, Fire Fighter and Military!

decaturbob

• ---
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2017, 04:27:28 PM »
Are you sure that your Escape can be flat towed? Most if them can't.

its manual transmission and 100% flat towable

grashley

• ---
  • Western KY for now.
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2017, 05:52:45 PM »
I'm going with Tom.  Hook it up and it will follow you wherever you go.  It is easier than a boat or trailer because you CAN NOT  back it up very far.  Upon arrival, unhook it and drive off!

It really is more complicated, but I know you already have proper tow bars, brakes and lights.  So that is all behind you!  ;D
Preacher Gordon, DW Debbie
09 Grand Junction 35 TMS  Progressive HW50C
Andersen Ultimate hitch
2013 F350 Lariat LB SRW Supercab diesel 4X4   TST TMS  Garmin 760
Nimrod Series 70 popup (sold)
It's not a dumb question if you do not know the answer.

99dart

• ---
  • If it ain't broke...don't fix it!
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2017, 07:06:44 PM »
Just wondering how people went about doing it besides just hooking up and going. I can safely say that my towing experience has been limited to a few times putting a boat into the water and pulling one out, never driving at highway speeds. Love to see hear some tips and suggestions as I'm about a month away from hooking up a toad (flat towing a Ford Escape) to my Class C and heading to Florida.

I just started pulling a Toad in 2016. The salesman ran us thru hookup & unhook a couple times and off we went. I do have the experience of being a truck driver for 15 yrs, so that helps a lot. I would say the toughest part is going thru the hookup sequence at the beginning of the next season. But, a check list takes most of the guess work out of that. I have my "backup camera" on all the time while towing. I like to keep an eye out for any changes in the way the little Focus is following. Do a light check & towed brake check while moving out slowly. Then, have fun!
2016 Thor Quantum WS31
2014 Ford Focus toad
1998 Four Winds Chateau -- sold

HappyWanderer

• ---
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2017, 08:06:55 PM »
its manual transmission and 100% flat towable

Cool, those are getting pretty hard to find.
WARNING: This post may contain a chemical known to the State of California to cause cancer, or birth defects or other reproductive harm.

JoelP

• ---
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2017, 08:05:02 PM »
I just started pulling a Toad in 2016. The salesman ran us thru hookup & unhook a couple times and off we went. I do have the experience of being a truck driver for 15 yrs, so that helps a lot. I would say the toughest part is going thru the hookup sequence at the beginning of the next season. But, a check list takes most of the guess work out of that. I have my "backup camera" on all the time while towing. I like to keep an eye out for any changes in the way the little Focus is following. Do a light check & towed brake check while moving out slowly. Then, have fun!

Which braking system are you using with your Focus?  Are you towing in the Off mode?  Have you ever experienced any brake lockups on your toad?
Joel from San Jose

2010 Itasca Suncruiser 37F
8.1L Chevy Workhorse with Banks PowerPack
2016 CMax Energi Hybrid dinghy

RedandSilver

• ---
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2017, 09:27:11 AM »
As far as highway goes - that is about as easy as it gets for pulling something.
Two things to consider - I haven't looked up your vehicle but 90% are limited to 65mph while being towed.
IF you feel the need to pass someone (going 65 most will pass you) you need to pull farther ahead before pulling
back into the right lane as I assume you can't see your vehicle in your mirrors.

I agree with empty parking lots for practice just to see where it tracks around a point (curb or light pole) etc.

Since unlike your boating days you can't back up, Make SURE you know BEFORE you enter a gas station etc that you
can leave without having to backup.  Unless you want a lesson on unhooking under pressure.  :D 
2002 Rexhall Rose Air  Cummins 8.3  350hp
West MI Summer   Central FL Winter

garyb1st

• ---
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2017, 09:38:31 AM »
While not exactly a part of pulling the toad, unhitching can be a challenge.  The most important thing is to find a place that is level and long enough to unhook without the tow bar binding.  If the toad is not on level ground, it will either be pushing or pulling on the tow bar.  Not sure if all work the same but mine is not easy to disconnect in either situation.  Also don't forget to set the parking brake in the toad and chalk the wheels in extreme situations.
Gary B1st

2005 Pace Arrow 35G
2016 Jeep Wrangler

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Lou Schneider

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2017, 02:44:25 PM »
While not exactly a part of pulling the toad, unhitching can be a challenge.  The most important thing is to find a place that is level and long enough to unhook without the tow bar binding.  If the toad is not on level ground, it will either be pushing or pulling on the tow bar.  Not sure if all work the same but mine is not easy to disconnect in either situation.  Also don't forget to set the parking brake in the toad and chalk the wheels in extreme situations.

The arms on my Falcon All Terrain tow bar need the toad lightly pushing forward on the tow bar to release.  The arms have to collapse a half inch or so when I pull the handle or they'll lock again when I release it.  The only place that binds are the pins holding the tow bar arms to the toad if they're under pressure.

If the toad is pushing towards the motorhome, releasing the arm lock lets them compress and removes the pressure from the pins.

If the pins bind while the arms are fully extended, i.e. on an uphill slope, I just start the toad and use it's engine to nudge the toad slightly towards the motorhome. Then I set the emergency brake to hold the toad in place before taking it out of gear.  With both arms now slightly in compression I can pull the release handles and let the arms compress to release the pressure on the pins.

If the toad is turned relative to the motorhome, the outside arm will be in tension and the inside arm in compression.  In this case, I release the inside arm, then start the toad and nudge it forward until the outside arm is in compression, then release it.

Or if there's no tension on the pins to start with, I can pull them out with the towbar arms at full extension, then collapse the arms when I stow the towbar.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 03:27:49 PM by Lou Schneider »

NY_Dutch

• ---
  • We go where our wheels take us!
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2017, 06:09:34 PM »

Our ReadyBrute Elite combination tow bar/brake system is an "all terrain" design that's very forgiving about levelness and angle when hooking up or unhooking. If the toad is pressing hard against the arm latches in either direction due to a grade, it's sometimes necessary to start the car and relieve the pressure before unlatching, but that's a minor issue that only takes a minute.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox base plate

ArdraF

• ---
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2017, 06:49:39 PM »
unhitching can be a challenge

It sure can!  Here's an example.  We were following directions to a campground, including signs along the way.  Turns out it no longer existed and we ended up in a residential subdivision in a deadend cul-de-sac.  The turnaround was too tight for our length.  We tried too long and ended up with the tow bar turned as far as it would go.  We had to get out and unhook.  The towbar was really tight and required a hammer to get the pins out.  This is what you want to avoid!  I'm sure we've all gotten into such situations, but once you do you'll be a whole lot more careful because unhooking usually requires not only physical strength but a lot of unprintable words!

ArdraF
ArdraF
:D :D

Heli_av8tor

• ---
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2017, 07:05:42 AM »
Twice I've run my toad over the curve on the outside of a minimum radius turn. The back of the coach swings to the outside and takes the toad with it.

The first was at a gas station trying to get into a tight spot. I didn't even know it until my brother in another coach behind me mentioned it.

Then once my DW Navigator turned me one street too soon. It lead to a cul-de-sac. My choice was to unhook the toad or just let it run the sidewalk bordering the street. I chose the latter.

But I'm very aware of it now and careful not to take out any posts, cars, or trains.

Tom
Tom & Theresa
2004 Pace Arrow 37C, Workhorse W22, 8.1 Vortec
2014 Honda CR-V Toad, Roadmaster -5 Base and tow bar
SMI Stay and Play Duo Brake system

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2017, 10:54:34 AM »
The first thing you need to know is there are 3 ways to tow, and I've done all 3 starting at about 12 years old with farm hardware (Tractor and trailer).

4 Down
Dolly (2 down)
Full car trailer (zero down)

Only the last can you back up. This is identical to your boat trailer,, 4 Down or dolly are Foreweard only towing.  Do not back up.  (This actually makes it easier)

So when I got the RV. it was hook up and tow.
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

Heli_av8tor

• ---
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2017, 10:15:29 AM »
I've watched many episodes on the YouTube channel: The Motorhome Experiment.

Paul routinely backs his coach with toad on a dolly. It may not be easy, but it is a skill that can be acquired.

Tom
Tom & Theresa
2004 Pace Arrow 37C, Workhorse W22, 8.1 Vortec
2014 Honda CR-V Toad, Roadmaster -5 Base and tow bar
SMI Stay and Play Duo Brake system

LarsMac

• ---
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2017, 02:06:25 PM »
I've watched many episodes on the YouTube channel: The Motorhome Experiment.

Paul routinely backs his coach with toad on a dolly. It may not be easy, but it is a skill that can be acquired.

Tom

I can back up just about any tow-able there is but that is not a skill I want to get enough practice to master.

2007 Saturn Vue

"The trouble with people isn't that they don't know, but that they know so much that ain't so."

scottydl

• Admin assist
  • ---
  • Central IL
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2017, 07:18:16 PM »
Just wondering how people went about doing it besides just hooking up and going.

This is pretty much the bulk of it!  :)  It's intimidating I know, but the only way to get comfortable towing is by logging some miles.  All the reading, watching, mentally measuring arcs, etc. will only go so far in preparing you for "toading" or other towing.  As others have said, hooking/unhooking and fueling are the factors that add challenge (or at least thinking ahead) to towing.  Your rig will ~15 feet longer so that must be taken into account.  If you are unfamiliar with the campground you are visiting, definitely find someplace you can park "straight" to unhook before venturing into the narrow drives with tight turns.
Scott, wife, 3 boys... and the dog
- 2008 Forest River Wildwood 32BHDS
- 1995 Chevrolet Suburban C2500 tow vehicle
- 1994 Thor Residency motorhome... owned 2007-2012

NY_Dutch

• ---
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2017, 07:56:18 PM »
I can back up just about any tow-able there is but that is not a skill I want to get enough practice to master.

I agree with you, Lars! Back in my tow truck driving days, I once hauled a truck pulling doubles off I-90 in a road closing snow storm as a single tow. I pulled the "train" into a trailer drop lot at the nearest exit and started to unhook in a center aisle where the trucking company could break it down and move everything as soon as the storm let up. A rookie state trooper came over and and told me I had to back the tow into a marked slot or he would ticket me for illegal parking. He wasn't happy when I couldn't help laughing at him. Fortunately, the senior trooper that had asked me to tow it as a unit for safety pulled in and straightened the rookie out. My 40' tri-axle tow truck towing a 35' 'Freightshaker' conventional pulling double 53' trailers did make an impressive looking "train", but nothing I'd ever attempt to back up! :)
Dutch

LarsMac

• ---
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2017, 11:07:40 AM »
I agree with you, Lars! Back in my tow truck driving days, I once hauled a truck pulling doubles off I-90 in a road closing snow storm as a single tow. I pulled the "train" into a trailer drop lot at the nearest exit and started to unhook in a center aisle where the trucking company could break it down and move everything as soon as the storm let up. A rookie state trooper came over and and told me I had to back the tow into a marked slot or he would ticket me for illegal parking. He wasn't happy when I couldn't help laughing at him. Fortunately, the senior trooper that had asked me to tow it as a unit for safety pulled in and straightened the rookie out. My 40' tri-axle tow truck towing a 35' 'Freightshaker' conventional pulling double 53' trailers did make an impressive looking "train", but nothing I'd ever attempt to back up! :)

That must have been a sight to see.
2007 Saturn Vue

decaturbob

• ---
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2018, 05:10:03 PM »
thanks for all the great comments.  In 2 weeks I take the plunge in towing as we eave for Florida.

JakeR

• ---
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2018, 04:08:46 PM »
I don't have nearly the experience in towing as most members here do but a couple of thoughts.  Check all connections carefully.  Use a checkoff sheet for starting and stopping towing (I use on my iPhone in Notes).  Check your connections each time you stop.  When getting ready to refuel, take a look at each island in the gas station before pulling in and evaluate how you would exit.  Often if you go into the middle ones you may not have sufficient room to turn left or right getting back out due to parked cars at the convenience store directly in front.  Best to have an escape (exit) plan before needing it.  Have fun!
Jake
Northern CO
2017 Winnebago Navion 24J
2010 Toyota Corolla (manual) toad

decaturbob

• ---
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2018, 05:27:54 PM »
So learning on the fly and so far no big issues.  Of course, gas stations were an issue BEFORE a tow vehicle but gotta say gas buddy has been a godsend in locating GAS RV gas stations. The stations have been 100% spot on. Job done well by all the gas buddy community.  I am hoping to add a couple more to it.

http://business.gasbuddy.com/rv-friendly-gas-stations/

So minutes after connecting vehicles at a shopping center parking lot and leaving, the umbilical electrical cord pulled out on a left turn.  I was able to pull over in a minute. Luckily I had bought a longer one and had it with me. So that solved the problem. Can't say enough about the RVI3 brake system. A minute to set up and 30 seconds to disconnect.  And it works as I hard to do a semi hard brake and it kicked in.

Driving been fine. Followed alot of the advice of taking all turns slow and wide when possible. Driven 700 miles so far and no big issue. May get mama behind the wheel soon.

scottydl

• Admin assist
  • ---
  • Central IL
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2018, 04:08:46 PM »
Thanks for the Gas Buddy link... I use their app all the time for price checking/reporting, but never realized there was an RV-friendly reporting tool.

May get mama behind the wheel soon.

Let me know how you accomplish THAT!  ;D  (My wife is not a fan of even the IDEA of being behind the wheel.)
Scott, wife, 3 boys... and the dog
- 2008 Forest River Wildwood 32BHDS
- 1995 Chevrolet Suburban C2500 tow vehicle
- 1994 Thor Residency motorhome... owned 2007-2012

Seon

• ---
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2018, 05:12:01 PM »
Trial and error, as mentioned wider turns, have plenty of space between that vehicle in front you and applying your brakes a lot soon when stopping.  As for backing-up, wife said I do better with a trailer behind than without a trailer.
Itasca 27' Spirit
Lake Camanche, CA

wackymac

• ---
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2018, 05:47:33 PM »
My learning was "on the job training".    Just hook up and go.
2002 Fleetwood Fiesta 31H, 2001 F53 Ford chassis
2002 Toyota Tacoma Xtra Cab 2wd
2 cats:
Rusty-11 year old red mackerel tabby with white, male, 24#,  leash trained.
Penny-10 year old black and white DLH, 15#, female.
Home base---Ocala, FL

Lou Schneider

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2018, 05:50:23 PM »
You should be able to see the toad in your side mirror as you turn.  Glance there as you're making the turn to see where the toad's tires are going.

garyb1st

• ---
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2018, 09:56:51 AM »

http://business.gasbuddy.com/rv-friendly-gas-stations/

Thanks for the link.  Looks like a new service of Gasbuddy.  Hopefully it will catch on and the RVers will add those friendly stations.  A quick review of the Los Angeles - San Diego areas indicates very few stations.  Getting gas in L.A. can be a problem.  I've got a few to add. 

Gary B1st

2005 Pace Arrow 35G
2016 Jeep Wrangler

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

decaturbob

• ---
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2018, 06:50:48 PM »
Thanks for the link.  Looks like a new service of Gasbuddy.  Hopefully it will catch on and the RVers will add those friendly stations.  A quick review of the Los Angeles - San Diego areas indicates very few stations.  Getting gas in L.A. can be a problem.  I've got a few to add.

its a map that that members contribute to for "gas RV" friendly gas stations. I may send in a couple additions to it too

decaturbob

• ---
UPDATE: How did you learn to tow a vehicle behind your RV?
« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2018, 07:08:06 AM »
Well I finish our 4000 mile/3month  trip with our toad still intact. Nothing like learning underfire.  Obviously the biggest hassles were high traffic highways in cities and gas stations. Thanks for all the great input in this thread.

NY_Dutch

• ---
« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2018, 07:23:31 AM »
Bob, did you catch on pretty quickly that the key to gas stations is to plan your exit before you enter?  ;)

Dutch

therealsimpsons

• ---
  • Stan & Becky & Moe the Cat
« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2018, 08:47:29 AM »

Is this part of the app for smart phones? How do I access it, please?
05 Beaver Monterey Laguna IV
400 HP C9 Cat
06 Honda CR-V toad with Blue Ox

camperAL

• ---
  • Back Into RV'ing
« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2018, 09:12:01 AM »
Hi,

Can't even remember the first time I towed but 30 years or so back use to tow a trailer to haul mowers and tiller for gardening. When I got my towing set up for our car and RV, I just jumped in and went. The place that installed the system for me, went though things and took things off and watched while I put things back into place. Mainly I just watch in the monitor to make sure there isn't any smoke or anything wrong.

One tip when first starting (I am sure old timers know this all ready) I like to watch in the mirror when I turn as I can see that the wheels of the car are rotating. Sounds simple but it is a quick chance to see things are working (don't get distracted looking back). Always check lights and breaks before taking off. I have a check list and follow that. Taking the break off, having the keys turn to accessory and having the break buddy working is among the check list. Didn't even really know the car was behind the RV but take a look in the monitor to make sure it is still following. Always take a look when the same type/color car passes me on the road as there are a blue million of them.  ;D

Use to move railroad cars at work in my early years. If that doesn't bother you then towing is pretty much a breeze, just pay attention once in a while to make sure things are right.
CamperAL (Indiana)
(2006 Coachmen Mirada 290 KS )

decaturbob

• ---
« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2018, 07:20:58 AM »
Is this part of the app for smart phones? How do I access it, please?

oh yes indeed, I used the "RV friendly" part of gasbuddy which I used for "Flying J" location. I practically planned our route based on Flying J. I used my laptop and went to the gas buddy website, I don't think the phone app had the "RV friendly" available

BUT a couple times I had to stop and get gas at a "normal" gas station like "Loves" and found I had barely enough maneuvering space to make a turn out of the pumps