EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: How did you learn to tow a vehicle behind your RV?  (Read 1527 times)

decaturbob

• ---
Re: How did you learn to tow a vehicle behind your RV?
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2018, 05:27:54 PM »
So learning on the fly and so far no big issues.  Of course, gas stations were an issue BEFORE a tow vehicle but gotta say gas buddy has been a godsend in locating GAS RV gas stations. The stations have been 100% spot on. Job done well by all the gas buddy community.  I am hoping to add a couple more to it.

http://business.gasbuddy.com/rv-friendly-gas-stations/

So minutes after connecting vehicles at a shopping center parking lot and leaving, the umbilical electrical cord pulled out on a left turn.  I was able to pull over in a minute. Luckily I had bought a longer one and had it with me. So that solved the problem. Can't say enough about the RVI3 brake system. A minute to set up and 30 seconds to disconnect.  And it works as I hard to do a semi hard brake and it kicked in.

Driving been fine. Followed alot of the advice of taking all turns slow and wide when possible. Driven 700 miles so far and no big issue. May get mama behind the wheel soon.
proud to have a 2008 Tioga 31M MH

scottydl

• Admin assist
  • ---
  • Central IL
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2018, 04:08:46 PM »
Thanks for the Gas Buddy link... I use their app all the time for price checking/reporting, but never realized there was an RV-friendly reporting tool.

May get mama behind the wheel soon.

Let me know how you accomplish THAT!  ;D  (My wife is not a fan of even the IDEA of being behind the wheel.)
Scott, wife, 3 boys... and the dog
- 2008 Forest River Wildwood 32BHDS
- 1995 Chevrolet Suburban C2500 tow vehicle
- 1994 Thor Residency motorhome... owned 2007-2012

Seon

• ---
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2018, 05:12:01 PM »
Trial and error, as mentioned wider turns, have plenty of space between that vehicle in front you and applying your brakes a lot soon when stopping.  As for backing-up, wife said I do better with a trailer behind than without a trailer.
Itasca 27' Spirit
Lake Camanche, CA

wackymac

• ---
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2018, 05:47:33 PM »
My learning was "on the job training".    Just hook up and go.
2002 Fleetwood Fiesta 31H, 2001 F53 Ford chassis
2002 Toyota Tacoma Xtra Cab 2wd
2 cats:
10 year old red mackerel tabby with white, male, 24#,  leash trained--Rusty
10 year old black and white DLH, 15#, female--Penny
Home base---Ocala, FL

Lou Schneider

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2018, 05:50:23 PM »
You should be able to see the toad in your side mirror as you turn.  Glance there as you're making the turn to see where the toad's tires are going.

garyb1st

• ---
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2018, 09:56:51 AM »

http://business.gasbuddy.com/rv-friendly-gas-stations/

Thanks for the link.  Looks like a new service of Gasbuddy.  Hopefully it will catch on and the RVers will add those friendly stations.  A quick review of the Los Angeles - San Diego areas indicates very few stations.  Getting gas in L.A. can be a problem.  I've got a few to add. 

Gary B1st

2005 Pace Arrow 35G
2016 Jeep Wrangler

decaturbob

• ---
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2018, 06:50:48 PM »
Thanks for the link.  Looks like a new service of Gasbuddy.  Hopefully it will catch on and the RVers will add those friendly stations.  A quick review of the Los Angeles - San Diego areas indicates very few stations.  Getting gas in L.A. can be a problem.  I've got a few to add.

its a map that that members contribute to for "gas RV" friendly gas stations. I may send in a couple additions to it too
proud to have a 2008 Tioga 31M MH

Hosted by Over The Network