rvupgradestore.com Composet Products
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: How did you learn to tow a vehicle behind your RV?  (Read 2619 times)

decaturbob

• ---
Re: How did you learn to tow a vehicle behind your RV?
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2018, 05:27:54 PM »
So learning on the fly and so far no big issues.  Of course, gas stations were an issue BEFORE a tow vehicle but gotta say gas buddy has been a godsend in locating GAS RV gas stations. The stations have been 100% spot on. Job done well by all the gas buddy community.  I am hoping to add a couple more to it.

http://business.gasbuddy.com/rv-friendly-gas-stations/

So minutes after connecting vehicles at a shopping center parking lot and leaving, the umbilical electrical cord pulled out on a left turn.  I was able to pull over in a minute. Luckily I had bought a longer one and had it with me. So that solved the problem. Can't say enough about the RVI3 brake system. A minute to set up and 30 seconds to disconnect.  And it works as I hard to do a semi hard brake and it kicked in.

Driving been fine. Followed alot of the advice of taking all turns slow and wide when possible. Driven 700 miles so far and no big issue. May get mama behind the wheel soon.
proud to have a 2008 Tioga 31M MH

scottydl

• Admin assist
  • ---
  • Central IL
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2018, 04:08:46 PM »
Thanks for the Gas Buddy link... I use their app all the time for price checking/reporting, but never realized there was an RV-friendly reporting tool.

May get mama behind the wheel soon.

Let me know how you accomplish THAT!  ;D  (My wife is not a fan of even the IDEA of being behind the wheel.)
Scott, wife, 3 boys... and the dog
- 2008 Forest River Wildwood 32BHDS
- 1995 Chevrolet Suburban C2500 tow vehicle
- 1994 Thor Residency motorhome... owned 2007-2012

Seon

• ---
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2018, 05:12:01 PM »
Trial and error, as mentioned wider turns, have plenty of space between that vehicle in front you and applying your brakes a lot soon when stopping.  As for backing-up, wife said I do better with a trailer behind than without a trailer.
Itasca 27' Spirit
Lake Camanche, CA

wackymac

• ---
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2018, 05:47:33 PM »
My learning was "on the job training".    Just hook up and go.
2002 Fleetwood Fiesta 31H, 2001 F53 Ford chassis
2002 Toyota Tacoma Xtra Cab 2wd
2 cats:
Rusty-11 year old red mackerel tabby with white, male, 24#,  leash trained.
Penny-10 year old black and white DLH, 15#, female.
Home base---Ocala, FL

Lou Schneider

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2018, 05:50:23 PM »
You should be able to see the toad in your side mirror as you turn.  Glance there as you're making the turn to see where the toad's tires are going.

garyb1st

• ---
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2018, 09:56:51 AM »

http://business.gasbuddy.com/rv-friendly-gas-stations/

Thanks for the link.  Looks like a new service of Gasbuddy.  Hopefully it will catch on and the RVers will add those friendly stations.  A quick review of the Los Angeles - San Diego areas indicates very few stations.  Getting gas in L.A. can be a problem.  I've got a few to add. 

Gary B1st

2005 Pace Arrow 35G
2016 Jeep Wrangler

decaturbob

• ---
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2018, 06:50:48 PM »
Thanks for the link.  Looks like a new service of Gasbuddy.  Hopefully it will catch on and the RVers will add those friendly stations.  A quick review of the Los Angeles - San Diego areas indicates very few stations.  Getting gas in L.A. can be a problem.  I've got a few to add.

its a map that that members contribute to for "gas RV" friendly gas stations. I may send in a couple additions to it too

decaturbob

• ---
UPDATE: How did you learn to tow a vehicle behind your RV?
« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2018, 07:08:06 AM »
Well I finish our 4000 mile/3month  trip with our toad still intact. Nothing like learning underfire.  Obviously the biggest hassles were high traffic highways in cities and gas stations. Thanks for all the great input in this thread.

NY_Dutch

• ---
  • Following the warm weather!
« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2018, 07:23:31 AM »
Bob, did you catch on pretty quickly that the key to gas stations is to plan your exit before you enter?  ;)

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox base plate

therealsimpsons

• ---
  • Stan & Becky & Moe the Cat
« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2018, 08:47:29 AM »

Is this part of the app for smart phones? How do I access it, please?
05 Beaver Monterey Laguna IV
400 HP C9 Cat
06 Honda CR-V toad with Blue Ox

camperAL

• ---
  • Back Into RV'ing
« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2018, 09:12:01 AM »
Hi,

Can't even remember the first time I towed but 30 years or so back use to tow a trailer to haul mowers and tiller for gardening. When I got my towing set up for our car and RV, I just jumped in and went. The place that installed the system for me, went though things and took things off and watched while I put things back into place. Mainly I just watch in the monitor to make sure there isn't any smoke or anything wrong.

One tip when first starting (I am sure old timers know this all ready) I like to watch in the mirror when I turn as I can see that the wheels of the car are rotating. Sounds simple but it is a quick chance to see things are working (don't get distracted looking back). Always check lights and breaks before taking off. I have a check list and follow that. Taking the break off, having the keys turn to accessory and having the break buddy working is among the check list. Didn't even really know the car was behind the RV but take a look in the monitor to make sure it is still following. Always take a look when the same type/color car passes me on the road as there are a blue million of them.  ;D

Use to move railroad cars at work in my early years. If that doesn't bother you then towing is pretty much a breeze, just pay attention once in a while to make sure things are right.
CamperAL (Indiana)
(2006 Coachmen Mirada 290 KS )

decaturbob

• ---
« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2018, 07:20:58 AM »
Is this part of the app for smart phones? How do I access it, please?

oh yes indeed, I used the "RV friendly" part of gasbuddy which I used for "Flying J" location. I practically planned our route based on Flying J. I used my laptop and went to the gas buddy website, I don't think the phone app had the "RV friendly" available

BUT a couple times I had to stop and get gas at a "normal" gas station like "Loves" and found I had barely enough maneuvering space to make a turn out of the pumps