How did you learn to tow a vehicle behind your RV?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
unhitching can be a challenge

It sure can!  Here's an example.  We were following directions to a campground, including signs along the way.  Turns out it no longer existed and we ended up in a residential subdivision in a deadend cul-de-sac.  The turnaround was too tight for our length.  We tried too long and ended up with the tow bar turned as far as it would go.  We had to get out and unhook.  The towbar was really tight and required a hammer to get the pins out.  This is what you want to avoid!  I'm sure we've all gotten into such situations, but once you do you'll be a whole lot more careful because unhooking usually requires not only physical strength but a lot of unprintable words!

ArdraF

Twice I've run my toad over the curve on the outside of a minimum radius turn. The back of the coach swings to the outside and takes the toad with it.

The first was at a gas station trying to get into a tight spot. I didn't even know it until my brother in another coach behind me mentioned it.

Then once my DW Navigator turned me one street too soon. It lead to a cul-de-sac. My choice was to unhook the toad or just let it run the sidewalk bordering the street. I chose the latter.

But I'm very aware of it now and careful not to take out any posts, cars, or trains.

Tom

The first thing you need to know is there are 3 ways to tow, and I've done all 3 starting at about 12 years old with farm hardware (Tractor and trailer).

4 Down
Dolly (2 down)
Full car trailer (zero down)

Only the last can you back up. This is identical to your boat trailer,, 4 Down or dolly are Foreweard only towing.  Do not back up.  (This actually makes it easier)

So when I got the RV. it was hook up and tow.

I've watched many episodes on the YouTube channel: The Motorhome Experiment.

Paul routinely backs his coach with toad on a dolly. It may not be easy, but it is a skill that can be acquired.

Tom

Heli_av8tor said:
I've watched many episodes on the YouTube channel: The Motorhome Experiment.

Paul routinely backs his coach with toad on a dolly. It may not be easy, but it is a skill that can be acquired.

Tom

I can back up just about any tow-able there is but that is not a skill I want to get enough practice to master.

decaturbob said:
Just wondering how people went about doing it besides just hooking up and going.

This is pretty much the bulk of it!  :)  It's intimidating I know, but the only way to get comfortable towing is by logging some miles.  All the reading, watching, mentally measuring arcs, etc. will only go so far in preparing you for "toading" or other towing.  As others have said, hooking/unhooking and fueling are the factors that add challenge (or at least thinking ahead) to towing.  Your rig will ~15 feet longer so that must be taken into account.  If you are unfamiliar with the campground you are visiting, definitely find someplace you can park "straight" to unhook before venturing into the narrow drives with tight turns.

LarsMac said:
I can back up just about any tow-able there is but that is not a skill I want to get enough practice to master.

I agree with you, Lars! Back in my tow truck driving days, I once hauled a truck pulling doubles off I-90 in a road closing snow storm as a single tow. I pulled the "train" into a trailer drop lot at the nearest exit and started to unhook in a center aisle where the trucking company could break it down and move everything as soon as the storm let up. A rookie state trooper came over and and told me I had to back the tow into a marked slot or he would ticket me for illegal parking. He wasn't happy when I couldn't help laughing at him. Fortunately, the senior trooper that had asked me to tow it as a unit for safety pulled in and straightened the rookie out. My 40' tri-axle tow truck towing a 35' 'Freightshaker' conventional pulling double 53' trailers did make an impressive looking "train", but nothing I'd ever attempt to back up! :)

NY_Dutch said:
I agree with you, Lars! Back in my tow truck driving days, I once hauled a truck pulling doubles off I-90 in a road closing snow storm as a single tow. I pulled the "train" into a trailer drop lot at the nearest exit and started to unhook in a center aisle where the trucking company could break it down and move everything as soon as the storm let up. A rookie state trooper came over and and told me I had to back the tow into a marked slot or he would ticket me for illegal parking. He wasn't happy when I couldn't help laughing at him. Fortunately, the senior trooper that had asked me to tow it as a unit for safety pulled in and straightened the rookie out. My 40' tri-axle tow truck towing a 35' 'Freightshaker' conventional pulling double 53' trailers did make an impressive looking "train", but nothing I'd ever attempt to back up! :)

That must have been a sight to see.

I don't have nearly the experience in towing as most members here do but a couple of thoughts.  Check all connections carefully.  Use a checkoff sheet for starting and stopping towing (I use on my iPhone in Notes).  Check your connections each time you stop.  When getting ready to refuel, take a look at each island in the gas station before pulling in and evaluate how you would exit.  Often if you go into the middle ones you may not have sufficient room to turn left or right getting back out due to parked cars at the convenience store directly in front.  Best to have an escape (exit) plan before needing it.  Have fun!

So learning on the fly and so far no big issues.  Of course, gas stations were an issue BEFORE a tow vehicle but gotta say gas buddy has been a godsend in locating GAS RV gas stations. The stations have been 100% spot on. Job done well by all the gas buddy community.  I am hoping to add a couple more to it.

http://business.gasbuddy.com/rv-friendly-gas-stations/

So minutes after connecting vehicles at a shopping center parking lot and leaving, the umbilical electrical cord pulled out on a left turn.  I was able to pull over in a minute. Luckily I had bought a longer one and had it with me. So that solved the problem. Can't say enough about the RVI3 brake system. A minute to set up and 30 seconds to disconnect.  And it works as I hard to do a semi hard brake and it kicked in.

Driving been fine. Followed alot of the advice of taking all turns slow and wide when possible. Driven 700 miles so far and no big issue. May get mama behind the wheel soon.

Thanks for the Gas Buddy link... I use their app all the time for price checking/reporting, but never realized there was an RV-friendly reporting tool.

decaturbob said:
May get mama behind the wheel soon.

Let me know how you accomplish THAT!  ;D  (My wife is not a fan of even the IDEA of being behind the wheel.)

Trial and error, as mentioned wider turns, have plenty of space between that vehicle in front you and applying your brakes a lot soon when stopping.  As for backing-up, wife said I do better with a trailer behind than without a trailer.

You should be able to see the toad in your side mirror as you turn.  Glance there as you're making the turn to see where the toad's tires are going.

decaturbob said:
http://business.gasbuddy.com/rv-friendly-gas-stations/

Thanks for the link.  Looks like a new service of Gasbuddy.  Hopefully it will catch on and the RVers will add those friendly stations.  A quick review of the Los Angeles - San Diego areas indicates very few stations.  Getting gas in L.A. can be a problem.  I've got a few to add. 

garyb1st said:
Thanks for the link.  Looks like a new service of Gasbuddy.  Hopefully it will catch on and the RVers will add those friendly stations.  A quick review of the Los Angeles - San Diego areas indicates very few stations.  Getting gas in L.A. can be a problem.  I've got a few to add.

its a map that that members contribute to for "gas RV" friendly gas stations. I may send in a couple additions to it too

Well I finish our 4000 mile/3month  trip with our toad still intact. Nothing like learning underfire.  Obviously the biggest hassles were high traffic highways in cities and gas stations. Thanks for all the great input in this thread.

garyb1st said:

Is this part of the app for smart phones? How do I access it, please?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom