Recommendations for small, all-in-one printer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Back2PA

I need a small printer/scanner for use in the RV. Thought I?d found one in the Canon MX490 that my daughter has and which I?ve been using. However I found today that the document feeder was highly unreliable (fairly common on these inexpensive printers I guess). I don?t do a lot of jobs requiring a feeder but would be nice. Would really like wireless printing capability, Bluetooth if possible so it?s not necessary to log-off internet wifi so as to login to the printer wifi. Anyone have a small printer/scanner you?ve been happy with?

We have the MX490 in our RV, works great wirelessly. No problem with the feeder (Pull out to load and push back in, do not put too much paper in it.) I also like the copy function. Do not miss the Bluetooth at all. The printer is connected to the repeater, no need to hook up internet. Laptops and phones are also connected to the repeater. In this way, they are on the same subnet as the printer.
(Repeater can be connected to internet via the Mobley and/or Camp Pro, so printer works independently of internet connection)

DutchEagle said:
We have the MX490 in our RV, works great wirelessly. No problem with the feeder (Pull out to load and push back in, do not put too much paper in it.) I also like the copy function. Do not miss the Bluetooth at all. The printer is connected to the repeater, no need to hook up internet. Laptops and phones are also connected to the repeater. In this way, they are on the same subnet as the printer.
(Repeater can be connected to internet via the Mobley and/or Camp Pro, so printer works independently of internet connection)

I wondered about using the repeater. It would be nice though to just plug the printer in and hide it somewhere out of the way without hooking it up to the router.

The feeder I was talking about was the document feeder on top which feeds documents to the scanner.

Sun2Retire said:
I wondered about using the repeater. It would be nice though to just plug the printer in and hide it somewhere out of the way without hooking it up to the router.

My printer sits on a high shelf in the pantry and is plugged in only when needed.  It automatically connects to my WiFiRanger which is the router my entire network is connected to.  Any computer or other device connected to that LAN can print to it or receive scans from it.

FWIW I'm using an HP Photosmart 6520; it doesn't have a document feeder but I rarely have documents more than a couple of pages that I need to copy or scan.  When I had a 30 page doc that needed scanning, I took it to a local copy shop and they did it for less than $5.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
How small is small? I have an HP Envy 4500 printer/scanner that is quite modest in size, but it's not toss-in-a-drawer small.

No particular size but as small as possible. Your HP is a couple inches deeper but a couple inches shorter than the Canon. Still downsizing for fulltime so not sure how I?m going to deal with the computer equipment yet. I have a custom table the previous owner made for the steering wheel and may use that. Good use of otherwise unusable space

We bought an HP Office Jet 4650 multi function printer just before going fulltime because it was smaller than our previous HP that was starting to wear out. It?s not super small but we needed the scanner and copy functions and wanted the top document feeder. The entire footprint is not much bigger than what the scanner screen calls for. We had a custom made dinette/desk put in with laptop and printer slide out trays and the printer fits perfectly.

Vicki

Attachments

• 2C04DA66-854D-4BCA-BCBC-1C666395A47E.jpeg
    2C04DA66-854D-4BCA-BCBC-1C666395A47E.jpeg
    78.3 KB · Views: 38
We have a hP 6962 multifunction and we like it.  We keep it in cabinet and it is always on.  I also uses a Pepwave SoHo for my network.  All the toys are wireless connected to it except to the NAS which is hard wired.  That way when we move I only have to connect the Pepwave and not all the various devices.  We are happey with both items

I just recently picked up a new printer. An Epson XP-640.
It has so far been terrific. Set-up was extremely simple. Out of the box, and printing in about 15 minutes.
Not the smallest footprint out there (15.5 x 13 with about 6 inches in the front for the output tray, that can be removed when not in use. and 5.5 inches high) but for Printing/Faxing/scanning/copying with Wi-Fi connection it is a darn nice printer, and the precision is A-1
It can produce high quality prints. My boarding pass went through TSA checkpoint without a glitch. Something my HP printer could not do.

And, the Ink replacement is half the price of HP

rls7201 said:
I stumbled on to an Epson ET2550 ink jet all in one wireless printer. No more over priced ink cartridges. It has refillable ink tanks.
https://epson.com/For-Home/Printers/Inkjet/Epson-Expression-ET-2550-EcoTank-All-in-One-Printer/p/C11CE91201

Very nice!  Here's a slightly newer model on amazon for $50 less: https://www.amazon.com/Epson-Expression-EcoTank-Wireless-Supertank/dp/B01NA8VVT3/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1514304587&sr=8-3&keywords=epson+et-2550+ecotank+printer

DutchEagle said:

I also have a mx490..  my opinion on it is not as high as yours.

Its much lower quality the the MX850 it replaced. And the ink on the MX490 is much more expensive.

all in one Printers are cheap. but before you buy any of them check on the ink costs.  that  factor can make a inexpensive printer very costly to own

Why bother to get attached to any printer.... it's always cheaper to buy a whole new printer,  than it is to buy replacement ink cartridges.  :eek:

Back
Top Bottom