Squirrels!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Natetheskate

I had a squirrel get into my AC unit and made a nest, and in the meantime chewed up my wiring.  I got a new shroud, fixed the wiring and got him out.  But now another one has gotten through the chimney shroud for the fridge, chewed up the wiring and is now chewing up the wood.  Any ideas how to get them out and keep them out?

Having dealt with squirrels getting into the attic of a vacation home, I think I can help with this one.  Once inside and evicted, they will come back and reenter if not blocked.  Tried many things, including a wood block covering the entry hole.  I also used a radio at different volumes and the special devices emitting frequencies inaudible to humans.  They quickly learn to ignore the sounds, and they will gnaw material to reopen the entry hole.  What finally worked was covering the entry hole area with wire mesh (1/4 inch openings).  Finally...No More Squirrels.

For those that have ever dealt with a squirrel infestation, and for those who have yet to have that privilege, it is good to remember that a squirrel is just a rat with a bushy tail and  better PR.

This is one determined squirrel, since he (she?) has also knawed through the mesh in the cover of the RV chimney. It has chewed through several wires for the fridge circuit, so I have a real job in front of me.  I have placed mothballs at the bottom in the hope it will stay out, but looks like I'll be putting another wire mesh up and a new chimney cover.

I shoot them with .22 cal rat shot. They don't come back.

Forget the rat shot (we always called it mustard seed when I was a kid). Just use a .22 long rifle, then have squirrel and gravy. ;D

Catch them in a box trap, baited with peanut butter and then release them in the next county. I have relocated about 25 around the house. Changes the gene pool.

Sounds like you need heavier wire mesh.  If it is heavy enough, it will finally stop him or her.

I also had a chipmunk stuff my car engine compartment with acorns, but I drove off with his stash, and he never tried again.  Raccoons and pack rats also like to set up housekeeping in RVs, so this will probably not be your last critter problem. 

You could try this, some swear by it for mice, lookup fox urine, the correct link won't work for some reason...

Link to site below

https://www.predatorpeestore.com

We had a squirrel infestation in our garden (they loved our green tomatoes).  We solved the problem with nylon stockings (pantyhose legs) filled with dog hair from our dog groomer.  Interestingly, the neighbor started complaining about squirrels shortly after that.  Must have been coincidence.

I had squirrels get into the engine compartment of one motorhome and a 5er. I  used moth balls after that. Haven't had any squirrels since, that I know of. I have had some mice. No damage, just messy to clean up.

Wolf Urine. Amazon has it and I have used it for several years without problem. Just spray a little around coach and on roof if necessary.

Mice, chipmunks & squirrels?a curse to my MH?s existence. I?ve had HaRVey disabled (wouldn?t start), his generator & step wiring chewed and mice troubles in the inside. I fixed the interior mouse problem (this will get some comments) by partially filling a 2 gal bucket with RV antifreeze, floating some sunflower seeds on top and making a ramp to the lip. They drown when they try to get the seeds. It sounds cruel but it?s effective. Besides, how long do they last when the liquid is 19?? This would work for bigger critters on the outside, too, but I?m worried about my dog.
As an aside, the easiest way to fish them out is with your bare hand?however, you?ve never felt COLD until you submerge your hand in a subfreezing liquid. ?

Harry Joe said:
I fixed the interior mouse problem (this will get some comments) by partially filling a 2 gal bucket with RV antifreeze, floating some sunflower seeds on top and making a ramp to the lip. They drown when they try to get the seeds. It sounds cruel but it?s effective.

That trick has been around and used for many years. It's called a mouse bucket trap. Google it and you'll find many variations. Simple to build and very effective.

Back
Top Bottom