Sticker shock on new phones

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
I'm several generations behind with my cell phone. Wandering through Costco a few days ago, I looked in at the cellular booth where we normally buy our phones. $800+ to buy a new Samsung S8 phone  :eek:  Cheaper than iPhone updates, but too  rich for me. I do little beyond phone calls and text on my S4, so my current phone will be fine for some years to come. Hopefully, Samsung doesn't go through the same "iPhone slowdown on old phones" that Apple users have recently experienced.

Chris hasn't (yet) complained of a slowdown on her iPhone.

Tom said:
"iPhone slowdown on old phones" that Apple users have recently experienced.

Chris hasn't (yet) complained of a slowdown on her iPhone.

I have an iPhone 6, not that old even by technology standards. iOS 11 dramatically slowed my phone. I can understand why these little handheld computers can?t cope with a new update after they?re several years old, but my phone is only about 18 months old. There is no doubt in my mind that Apple includes code to slow phones older than 1-2 generations.

And I paid over $600 for it.

Apple slowed the older phones to avoid overstressing the battery?  That's about the lamest excuse I ever heard.

A great Samsung alternative is the S7 Edge. I have noticed they are drying up as people snap them up in lieu of the S8.

Got S8 at Best buy for $724. Unlocked version with free wireless charger.

I don't buy in (literally) to the new phone hype. I have a lower model Samsung that cost less than $200 and I'll probably use it for 4 or 5 years. To me its a waste of money to spend any more on a phone.

We may be forced into it soon. Diane's phone is failing a little at a time Galaxy S5, and my Note 4 in not far behind. I  have no desire to upgrade, but the electronics are showing their age. I briefly considered Amazon's deal of the LG6 half off if you let them put ads on the front lock screen. I don't have a big issue with the ads as I don't pay much attention to the lock screen anyway, but some comments on the LG6 indicated that the customer support from LG was not good.

There was a time when I was an early adopter (of technology), but those days are long gone. I stuck with a dumb phone for many years, and used an iPod for a few apps. I didn't switch to a smart phone until  approx 7 years ago. I've watched folks use their phones for so many things, but I fail to be productive with such a small screen and lack of a physical keyboard. I'm only marginally more productive with a 10" tablet, partly because I don't haul the wireless keyboard around. So the tablet is primarily a consumption device for me.

Interestingly, 20 +/- years ago I recall a colleague being interviewed at his desk by an Apple employee researching consumer needs. The colleague proceeded to put a number of devices on his desk , including cell phone, pager, mp3 player, digital voice recorder, etc and asked "why can't I get all this stuff in one device instead of having to haul all these gadgets around? Did he get his wish and lots more?

Joezeppy said:
I don't buy in (literally) to the new phone hype. I have a lower model Samsung that cost less than $200 and I'll probably use it for 4 or 5 years. To me its a waste of money to spend any more on a phone.
I buy into the new phone hype. I just bought a new Pixel 2XL for just under a grand and worth every penny. I can't wait till next year when they replace it with something better and I can upgrade again. I upgrade every year because the camera keeps getting so much better every year. Check out the detail in the photo of Tarzan taken with the Pixel. The detail is absolutely amazing and makes the phone worth the money for me.

Attachments

• Cleo).jpg
    Cleo).jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 67
Understood Tom, and I almost mentioned your camera use as an example of why some folks would stay on the upgrade train. But the cameras would be wasted on me. I rarely take photos with a phone and, when I do, I wish I hadn't  :-[

SeilerBird said:
Check out the detail in the photo of Tarzan taken with the Pixel.

Amazing.

I?m worried enough carrying a $600 phone. Paying $1000+ would virtually guarantee I?d lose or drop it

Don't waste your money on a Moto Z. DW and I have them. Mine does ok, but I like my old Samsung better. DW's is a piece of junk, and she keeps getting told it's the updates. She shows them my phone with the same update and asked them why mine doesn't have the same problems. No answer, and no decent support.

I would be scared to leave the house with it. ;D Sarge, I strongly suggest staying away from LG products after my experience with two tv's and a fridge. Customer support is non existent. My iphone 5 still does everything I need but I notice it getting slower at times.
We had to replace Karen's old flip phone in 2016 when Telus 'upgraded' the system and it would no longer work. Great way to sell phones. ::) It went missing in the hospital, probably went through the laundry, so I got her another one. Now I have a brand new hardly used phone I have no need for.

My Samsung Galaxy S4 recently crapped out on me - I also could not believe the price to replace.  The Galaxy was a great phone (until it stopped charging) so I was torn between the new S8 and Pixel.  I went with the Pixel and love it. It is my map, camera, phone, and road trip research assistant so the price must be paid....

If all you want is a PHONE, and do not need "Smart" Functions like hot spotting, web browsing and apps. Find out which 'Pay an go" (Burner phones) are supported by YOUR carrier.

I one replaced a damaged phone for $15.00 by buying a Burner Phone that used a sim card, same Sim as my damaged phond.. And moved the SIM to the new phone.  No other changes needed.

NOT ALL PHONES HAVE A REMOVABLE SIM (Subscriber Identity Module) Now daysm Some it is hard wired in.

My LG "Ultimate 2" phone does everything I want it to do. The 4.5" screen makes it easy to hold and view, and it has two cameras, the rear with flash. I have apps for GPS, satellite dish aiming, synchronized e-reader, synchronized browser, IMAP email, synchronized calendar, weather w/alerts, TV watching, compass, all sorts of measuring/conversion tools, VOIP phone service, tracking, and a bunch more. Oh, and it makes phone calls too! All for less than $100...

I finally broke my S4 Active and decided it was time to bite the bullet and upgrade.  Went into the ATT store and the girl mentioned I have insurance, so why not make a claim.  I did so, and for $100 deductible they sent me an S7 Active.  Cheap upgrade, and no increase in the monthly bill.
My wife upgraded to the S8 and doesn't like it at all.  She hates the full screen and has already broken 2 of the glass screen protectors.  They do the job, though, the phone itself is still fine.

You probably don't need a flagship phone for your usage.  There are some really nice mid-range smart phones available now, and this years mid-range would have been a high end product a year or tow back.

The new Moto X4 is getting excellent reviews and sells for around $399. https://www.cnet.com/products/motorola-moto-x4/review/

If you want to stay comfortable with the Samsung ecosystem, take a look at their mid-range A7 model,  about $375.
https://www.cnet.com/products/samsung-galaxy-a7-2017/review/

My own strategy is to buy last years flagship model and save a couple hundred that way. I currently have an S6 Edge and will be looking for an S7 soon, probably when the forthcoming S9 arrives.  The S8 may be a contender than as well.

The cameras in the newer models have improved so much vs the S4 that you may find you start using them.

What pushed me into the last upgrade is some of the apps I use needed a newer operating system.  If it ain't the battery hoax, they get you with obsoleting the software.

But the cameras would be wasted on me. I rarely take photos with a phone and, when I do, I wish I hadn't  :-[

I'm not quite that bad, but I have trouble holding them steady, they don't have a viewfinder, and the zoom leaves a lot to be desired, in spite of how good they look and how well they do for some folks. So I use my Nikon for most things, with a Canon SD780 IS as something more portable -- shirt pocket size, real zoom (3X) and a viewfinder -- that takes good pictures.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom