Sticker shock on new phones

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
SeilerBird said:
The camera alone makes them worth the price. Free online unlimited photo storage is worth a lot of money.

I have a 20 MP camera that cost less than most high end phones and has a lot more camera features. And huge online data storage is readily available for free. MEGA for example, has 50 GB for free. Need more space? Multiple accounts are easy to do, or 360 Security Cloud offers 10 TB or so if you don't mind that it's Chinese based. And Amazon Prime members get unlimited photo storage at no additional charge. The only cloud storage I trust with more sensitive data than my photos though, is the NextCloud server I installed on my hosted web server. MEGA and NextCloud both use end-to-end data encryption for privacy and security.

My phone has a 22 megapixel camera, but it certainly doesn't have a lot of features. Low light is pathetic.

To each his own...one of the wonderful things about living in the USA. My neighbor leases a new car every 3 years while I still drive around in the same old 9-year old POS. They both get us to work & back but his sure will do it in a lot more style and with a lot more creature comforts!

I got my Samsung S7 last May for $470, unbranded and unlocked from B&H Photo Video, no tax either.

They have some cheap Samsung variants in stock (and probably others I only looked for those). I have used this company several times and they are very good. Customer service responsive too.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Batteries/ci/9070/N/3538458807

They were cheaper than some of the stores i went to.

terryonor said:
Good thing there aren't a lot of Apple users here.
87% of phones sold in the world are Android.

"The more interesting portion of the latest Gartner data, however, comes concerning operating systems. According to the data, Android and iOS now account for a combined 99 percent of the worldwide smartphone operating system market. Android holds 86.2 percent of the market, up from 82.2 percent in the year-ago quarter.Aug 18, 2016"

Apple has done a fairly good job of promoting Andriid. First they do as Texas Insturments did with home comptuers.  You must license apps with Apple.. Closed operating system  V/s Open and you develop it we will distribuit it (if it passes security scan that is)>

Then they did the "Slow down" bit on older phones.. Claiming it was to extend non-replacable by user battery life.. My Android.. Well I can remove the battery and replace it, Tools needed asre FINGERS and Fingernails (or any flat tool, Kitchen knife, Key, screwdriver, but normally just fingernails) takes less than a minute and that includes getting it out of it's Otter Case.

And then therte ids PRICE!!!!

I think my S-5 cvosty mer 200 buvksd dspreasdf over 2 yeards. Not bad at all.

Apple has a closed ecosystem, extremely high prices, $300 billion in offshore accounts, horrible customer service and yet their customers line up for days to buy their massively overpriced iPhones. I can't figure it out. I used both an iPhone 4s and a 6 and they both sucked.

SeilerBird said:
Apple has a closed ecosystem, extremely high prices, $300 billion in offshore accounts, horrible customer service and yet their customers line up for days to buy their massively overpriced iPhones.

An iPhone isn't a product, it's a lifestyle! It's a cult!  ;D

We are about to go full time and are upgrading our phones so we can have a hotspot.  If you are thinking about upgrading be sure the phone will support the new 71 Ban, which is the next new band width for cell phones.  If you are a senior look into the T Mobile senior plan.  Unlimited data and phone at 4G speeds for $35 a month per line.  T Mobile continues to increase their coverage and are now just about even with the leader and they are ahead on the 71 band system.

MikeStafford said:
If you are a senior look into the T Mobile senior plan.  Unlimited data and phone at 4G speeds for $35 a month per line.

Although T-Mobile is, indeed, a good buy I believe that the senior plan you are citing doesn't include 4G/LTE hotspot capability.  The standard plans permit unlimited 3G hotpots.  4G hotspot use is an extra cost option.

As far as I can see, the only thing Apple has over Android is the Itunes app.  I liked that I was able to change the music on my phone with just a couple of buttons instead of having to pick out 100 tracks, one at a time.

Old_Crow said:
As far as I can see, the only thing Apple has over Android is the Itunes app.  I liked that I was able to change the music on my phone with just a couple of buttons instead of having to pick out 100 tracks, one at a time.
iTunes is the thing that I hated the most about Apple. One of the worst pieces of software ever written. They may have improved it by now since that was ten years ago I was using it. The worst thing about iTunes is trying to get rid of it once you try and leave the Apple system. They simply do not want you to leave so they make it as impossible as can be to make you stay there. Selling an iPhone was a royal pain for me.

SeilerBird said:
MetroPCS has a free hot spot option and it is only $30 per month for one gig.
You can get the hotspot turned on with Consumer Cellular (I'm using it right now) at no extra cost ($30/mo for 3GB of LTE, AT&T network, no contract), and much better coverage than when I briefly had T-Mobile a few years ago.

Larry N. said:
You can get the hotspot turned on with Consumer Cellular (I'm using it right now) at no extra cost ($30/mo for 3GB of LTE, AT&T network, no contract), and much better coverage than when I briefly had T-Mobile a few years ago.

With all due respect, 3GB is less than 2 days worth at our current usage rate.  Even without streaming video we use >10 GB/mo for two laptops, two smartphones and an iPad.

I was seriously considering a new phone, as battery life on my iPhone 5 was horrible. Then I looked at prices!

Thirty bucks to get a new battery installed and I'm good to go. Saved myself $970.

When we are traveling, we routinely use 15-20GB of data each (two people). Streaming music a reasonable amount (no streaming video), email, social media, blog updates, etc seem to take up a surprising amount! Those who are stationary with decent campground WiFi probably don?t need the same thing as those of us in the boonies far away from WiFi. Oh, and I have an Apple. I enjoy the seamless integration of their products, and iTunes is a wonderful invention LOL! I am happy with my unlimited Verizon on two lines. We haven?t ever hit the throttled amount, but we have come close a few times. They seem to have good service where we travel which is almost exclusively West with a few trips to the Midwest.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom