DO NOT TAKE THIS ROAD "Fill in the blank"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
garyb1st said:
Great responses everyone.  Don't know if a list of these challenging routes exists within the Forum, but I for one would find it very helpful.  Hopefully if one of the moderators reads the thread and is aware of such a list he or she will point me in the right direction.  If not, I'd  like to suggest a listing of the many drives we would all appreciate hearing about before beginning.  The list would only be added to or modified by forum staff.  (I think that would be necessary to keep the list manageable). And as much as I like sharing the full impact of my misadventures, I think it would more helpful if the list was limited to the commonly known route and it's various identifiers.  Other than that, only additional detail providing insight and critical information to keep the driver and navigator out of harms way.

While considering making that list, maybe classify the roads like ski slopes do, black diamond, double diamond etc.?
Just a thought.

John Stephens said:
The worst road I've ever taken was I-10 through Louisiana, but then, I think all LA roads are in bad shape.

I resemble that remark.  Yes our roads are bad.  I live near I-12 and it has been under construction since the 80s.

"CX"

Oldgator73 said:
'less traveled.'  ;)

Hah, I prefer the roads less traveled. 
Unfortunately my cross country trip this summer is going to be on a time restraint.  I hate hours upon hours on the freeway just driving to get somewhere.

Old Spanish Trail Hwy...don't go there unless you are in a 4WD and have a couple of extra jerrycans of fuel. 

As we left Hoover Dam we wanted to go to Death Valley.  So, we headed up State Hwy 160 from Vegas.  My old Road Trip Navigator 2012 trip planner showed a campground at Tecopa, Cal.  In fact, it was labeled as Tecopa Hot Springs, public park.  I let my GPS have its head and it chose Tecopa Road off hwy 160 to Old Spanish Trail Hwy.  The route was on my trip planner, Google Maps, and shown on our paper map.  It was only about 80 miles from Vegas.

As we left Vegas area, I noted I was low on diesel (MB Sprinter chassis).  No problem, I still had 1/4 tank.  I'd fill up at the turn-off for Tecopa Road and if nothing there, I could fill up at Tecopa.

Tecopa Road was a pretty good road.  Then it changed to Nevada and Old Spanish Trail Hwy.  The closer we got to Tecopa, the narrower the "highway" got.  We finally got to Tecopa and the GPS led us off to the campground...and led us, and led us.  The road turned into two sandy dirt ruts trailing through the desert and finally just petered out, several miles after my low fuel light came on.  No campground in sight, just a busted old windmill and a cattle water trough.

We started to backtrack to Tecopa hoping we could make it and, of course, no cell service way the heck out there.  We did make it to Tecopa.  But, no gas station, let alone one with diesel.  We headed on up Hwy 127 toward Shoshone just hoping for cell service at the very least.

We made it to Shoshone somehow.  My fuel tank must have collapsed in a bit as I had to have been sucking air from it, not to mention the washers I was sucking out of my seat.  At last!  There was a Chevron station and diesel was only $5.14 a gallon.  I'd have paid $20 by then.

Definitely not the worst road out there, but this topic reminds me of my first time ever driving a motor home.
In 1989 I rented a 32' class A and took the kids from NW Washington to Los Angeles.Spent a few days at Disneyland,Magic mountain, etc.
We drove I5 on the southbound portion,but on the way home I decided I wanted to check out the California coast so got on Hwy 1 north of San Francisco.(at least I think that's where we got on)
We made it ok,but was pretty nerve racking for a guy who had never driven a motor home before.

If you are ever in NW Washington, do not be tempted to take WA 11 ,Chuckanut Drive, from Burlington to Bellingham.
The rock hillside extends right to the fog line in several places and could take out the side of your rig if you got too close.
I took out the side of an old panel truck one time many years ago.
I have never taken any of my RVs on that road, but ride my motorcycle any time I can.

Jeff in Ferndale Wa said:
Definitely not the worst road out there, but this topic reminds me of my first time ever driving a motor home.
In 1989 I rented a 32' class A and took the kids from NW Washington to Los Angeles.Spent a few days at Disneyland,Magic mountain, etc.
We drove I5 on the southbound portion,but on the way home I decided I wanted to check out the California coast so got on Hwy 1 north of San Francisco.(at least I think that's where we got on)
We made it ok,but was pretty nerve racking for a guy who had never driven a motor home before.

OMG, NO!
Highway 1 north of the Bay Bridge is a bear, but then, if you turn on the Panoramic Highway, it gets even worse.  I've only ever been carsick twice in my life. That was one of them, and I was driving.

If you want to go up the coast, go north to San Rafael, and take Francis Drake Blvd to Olema and pick up highway 1 from their. 

LarsMac said:
OMG, NO!
Highway 1 north of the Bay Bridge is a bear, but then, if you turn on the Panoramic Highway, it gets even worse.  I've only ever been carsick twice in my life. That was one of them, and I was driving.

If you want to go up the coast, go north to San Rafael, and take Francis Drake Blvd to Olema and pick up highway 1 from their.

Ya..well this forum wasn't around in 1989, or maybe I might have followed your advice.  ;D

Jeff in Ferndale Wa said:
Ya..well this forum wasn't around in 1989, or maybe I might have followed your advice.  ;D

Well, it's worth logging here for posterity, I reckon.

I have to say, some of the views were fantastic, and I'm glad that I took that road, once.
You'll never get me on it again, though.

LarsMac said:
Well, it's worth logging here for posterity, I reckon.

I have to say, some of the views were fantastic, and I'm glad that I took that road, once.
You'll never get me on it again, though.

I've been on that road a couple times since on my motorcycle. Much better that way!

Jeff,

I am glad you mentioned that road. I tried for hours to remember the name of it.  I pulled a 36 ft. fifth wheel north bound across it, but was in the oncoming traffic lane far more than I liked. I still do not know how I missed some of the rocks that stuck out and over the lane. I made it with no damage, but will never travel it again. In fact, I do not even like to think about it.

rockin rockwood said:
  I-20 west bound in Louisiana. Nothing but expansion joints the whole length....ka-dunk ka-dunk ka-dunk Then as a goodbye gesture, the last 20 miles into Shrevesport will jolt every piece of suspension you have left!

X2!!! I used to travel this road with my cat in his carrier. A couple of those KA DUNK KA DUNKS on the overpass and he would wake up from a peaceful sleep and puke all over. That?s how bad it was. Couldn?t imagine doing it with a camper too.

Just thought of another--the Oakville Grade that goes from Sonoma to Napa.  On the map it looks like a great little shortcut, but it is steep with very tight turns and very steep drop-offs with no shoulders.  During the Napa fires, a driver of a water truck went off this road and was killed when his truck went off the embankment. 

On the other hand, this would be a great road in a sports car with the top down or on a motorcycle.  Some gorgeous homes and vineyards up there, but hard to see as they are tucked away from view. 

Back
Top Bottom