88 coleman williamsburg roof leak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jeepguy181

Hey guys, my boyfriend and I received the pop up for free from craigslist.  I've been pulling my hair out the last couple of months trying to find a roof leak and seal it in the shell rooftop.  I know almost nothing about pop ups and my boyfriend knows little.  I would have just made a utility trailer out of it but the leaks were never bad enough to wet the beds, cushions, and rot the floor.  Alot of the styrofoam and luan board on the vertical was portion was rotten and wet.  small portions on the horizontal part of the rooftop had mold and mildew.  But no smell inside, all cushions and cabinets were in excellent shape and all of the electric for the interior checks out.  Needs some water plumbing and gas repair, rooftop repair, tires and good to go.  I'm hoping to take my boyfriend in the pop up for a honeymoon camping this upcoming summer somewhere.  I did strip all wood and Styrofoam from the underside of the rooftop and only have 4 visible holes which I used silicone caulk but water is coming in still.  I'm starting to think about seams and used the same thing but still leaking.  Also the rooftop is caving a little in the center and want to add a wood frame.  For that do I use regular construction adhesive? There was never any rooftop a/c or vent.  Any ideas and or products would be greatly appreciated.  Also, posting pictures as soon as I can. 

Hard to advise without seeing the damage, but yes you can use regular construction adhesives on an RV. However, be aware that they flex much more than site-built homes and thus the structure needs to be resilient to that stress. Depending on what you are dealing with, I might be inclined to use screws or bolts instead. And maybe aluminum angle or box tube instead of wood. It's light, strong and waterproof.

Roof leaks are often at seams and corners, so I would clean and re-seal all around the edges. I would use a urethane caulk rather than silicone, though.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom