Shenandoah National Park

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scott104

My wife and I have greatly appreciated the advice and help offered on this site. We are 7 months into our 33 ft fifth wheel RV adventures. One of the locations we are hoping to stop for a few days at the Shenandoah National Park in VA on our way to the Outer Banks in NC. What recommendations do you have for inside the National Park or at full service campgrounds outside of the National Park? As of now, we don't have a generator to power our camper. (Santa may bring us one) We are looking to take this trip in early to mid-July. Thank you in advance for all the help.

Parking at the overlooks will be a problem with a large trailer in July.  Pulling the trailer thru a portion of the park might have you repeating that portion after dropping the trailer.  I would stay at a full service campground at Luray, or other central location, and drive the truck to tour the entire Skyline Drive. 

I agree with Lynnmor.  Skyline drive is pretty, but it also can be a challenge for truck-trailer combos. I also believe the campgrounds are first come, first served so it?s possible you?ll get up on the Drive and won?t be able to get into a campground. We have stayed at the KOA in Luray and it?s an easy drive to the park. The entrance there is close to the middle of the park so you can explore both ends from a central location. We didn?t do Luray Cavern while we were there, but it should be a nice break from the heat in July as well.

I also recommend staying at one of the Luray area campgrounds and simply driving Skyline Drive (Shenandoah NP). None of the NP campgrounds have RV hook-ups and some don't even have RV-capable sites.

Be aware that when in Shenandoah N.P., there is nothing except scenery to look at for anything to do. If one actually wants to see any sights, one has to be ready to do some hiking. Along the rest of the Blueridge Parkway, there are many things to to see and do within easy walking distance of a parking lot. My DW is not able to walk for more than a 1/4 to 1/2 mile at a time, and things like walking distance makes a world of difference between being bored to death, and enjoying life.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom