Coach lights issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mauleman

When we replaced bulbs in light fixture over dinette it no longer works and the wall sconce and lighting over the adjoining sofa all stopped working. Rest of coach lighting okay. Is there a possibility these 3 fixtures on same circuit? Checked all fuses and they are fine. Almost like lights on xmas tree. One in the "string" goes out and none work. Could this be the case. We are going to try replacing the dinette fixture and see if this fixes the problem. Any ideas???

Yes, it's possible that they may all be on the same circuit, but a failed bulb in one won't cause the others to stop working. What you've described is indicative of a blown fuse, but if you're sure the fuse is good (the small ones can be hard to see) I'd start troubleshooting with a VOM. Test for voltage at the fuse itself. If there's 12 volts at the fuse, I'd suspect a loose connection down range somewhere.

Kev

I agree with Kevin that the symptoms fit a blown fuse fuse.

You didn't what kind of lamps you replaced. Is it possible that a socket twisted in the dinette fixture and caused the wires to short, blowing the fuse?
This seems more likely to me than loose wires since the other lights failed at the time you replaced the bulbs.

Tom

Yes, if you have metal bayonet based bulbs with two pins on the bottom like the 1004 bulb, the power switch on the fixture must be off before you change the bulb.

Both (+) and (-) voltage goes through the pins, and the light bulb can short out the socket pins when you rotate the bulb to get it in or out of the socket, blowing the fuse if the power switch is on.

This problem is unique to the RV single filament bulbs.  Other bulb types used in automobile tail and stop lights use the metal barrel of the base for the (-) connection so there is only (+) voltage on the pins.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom