Can't get my dipstick back in?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wijames2002

First of all, Merry Christmas to you all!
I keep running into stupid little problems that shouldn't even be problems so hoping someone can give me some guidance here.  I pulled the dipstick on my motorhome (A 1998 Fleetwood Southwind Storm with the 454 Chevy), and I can't get it back in.  I can only get it about half way before ti stops dead. I worked on it for over an hour today with no luck. I can see where the dipstick tube has several minor curves in it but nothing that should stop the progress of the dipstick. My dipstick is about four feet long and I can only get it about half way back in. Any suggestions?

Hi wijames2002,

Here is my suggestion if you haven't tried it yet. Turn the dipstick 180 degrees and try to insert it. You might even be able to turn it so it is in normal configuration after you get it past the point it has been sticking. Also try to turn it 90 degrees if that doesn't work. I also tend to hold on to the center with a rag and push from that point rather than the top end. You might also hit the dip stick with some wd 40 to try to reduce friction going in, just go easy on that.

Lots of knowledgeable people here who might have better advise so let us know how my suggestion pans out.

If you can, make sure the tube is still inserted in the engine block. It may have slipped out of the hole and the hangers may be holding it.

I go with CamperAL.  Most dip sticks of that vintage are flat steel, and will flex easily in one direction, but will not flex at all in the perpendicular direction (90 deg.)  Rene may be right, but this is easier to try first!  ;D

I have a 8.1L (That's what 49x) Chevy and the same issue.  The dipstick only goes in one way (one side up) and I get it all but about a foot in, then I have to grab pliers and "Assist" it to get it in all the way.. An inch at a time, till it is almost all the way in, then it seats easily .

camperAL said:
Hi wijames2002,

Here is my suggestion if you haven't tried it yet. Turn the dipstick 180 degrees and try to insert it. You might even be able to turn it so it is in normal configuration after you get it past the point it has been sticking. Also try to turn it 90 degrees if that doesn't work. I also tend to hold on to the center with a rag and push from that point rather than the top end. You might also hit the dip stick with some wd 40 to try to reduce friction going in, just go easy on that.

Lots of knowledgeable people here who might have better advise so let us know how my suggestion pans out.

Just like Al, the dipstick on my 8.1 Workhorse(same dipstick configuration as yours) will only go in with the oil level indicator marks on the bottom when inserting. No idea why, just the way it is.

Rene T said:
If you can, make sure the tube is still inserted in the engine block. It may have slipped out of the hole and the hangers may be holding it.

Yes, I can feel it all the way to the block with no breaks or bends.

Back
Top Bottom