Thetford vacuum breaker/foot valve issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jsquared

Have a Thetford Style II toilet where the vacuum breaker would leak upon flush. Closest RV store is at least a hour away and with it being a holiday, can?t get there in time anyway. So I thought about bypassing the vacuum altogether and run water line from foot valve to the connection where the vacuum breaker attaches at the back of the toilet. Did this but now water runs constantly into toilet after a flush. Turn main water off, then back on, and water will not run into toilet until you flush it. So my question or questions to those more experienced; does the vacuum breaker somehow stop the constant water from running into toilet or does is sound more like the foot pedal water valve is bad? This vacuum breaker does have an attachment for a water sprayer.

Thank you for your help.

Seems strange, but somehow the vacuum breaker must work in concert with the flush valve. I'm not familiar with that model of toilet, so can't help with an explanation of how it works and the Thetford manuals are of no help on that score.

Gary, thank you for your reply. I?ll get the vacuum breaker installed in a day or two and see what happens. Right now, I installed a cutoff valve in the hose I installed, so we can turn the water off to the toilet from inside the bathroom. Southern engineering at its best.

Jsquared said:
Gary, thank you for your reply. I?ll get the vacuum breaker installed in a day or two and see what happens. Right now, I installed a cutoff valve in the hose I installed, so we can turn the water off to the toilet from inside the bathroom. Southern engineering at its best.

The inside shut off valve you installed is one of the first mods I make to every RV we buy...

I can understand having one there, but it?s not convenient. The foot pedal is much more convenient.

The added shutoff valve makes cleaning and servicing the toilet easier without having to shutdown the entire RV water system. It also comes in handy when something breaks of course. A water valve that fails to shut off can really mess up that long trip you just started out on. With the shutoff valve, you can continue on with just some minor inconvenience until you get a chance to make the needed fix.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urnwholesaler
Back
Top Bottom