rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: No 120VAC to water heater  (Read 449 times)

dnnsmrgn

• ---
No 120VAC to water heater
« on: December 24, 2017, 03:45:42 PM »
Hello to all, new member here.

Propane side of water heater works
Original problem was burnt 12 vdc relay , on backside of hot water heater. However, after replacing it, I still have no 120 vac.

I disconnected 120 vac wiring from heating element and checked for voltage, nothing. So i went to breaker panel and pulled off cover and checked voltage there, I have 120 volts.

This is on a 2005 Fleetwood Bounder Model 34F, the hot water heater is an Atwood Model GC10A-4E.

Now to the confusing parts or i am over complicating issues.

I have found that the 120 volt breaker is running the inverter also at a plug in receptacle under bedroom drawer on floor. I found this by using a "voltage pin that beeps and lights up" when voltage is present. I had cut off all breakers except the one that is labeled for hot water heater. There are 2 wires coming out of it but I cant follow them they go under shower unit and i cant access them even with panel off.

Also, i have an Intellitec Smart Energy Management System , Model 900 , that sheds power, however it does not appear to be hooked to it but not sure because i have a breaker labeled washer/dryer hooked to it and i don't have one, also have one labeled refer going to it , unless refer is suppose to be refrig.

Because of these things i am wondering if there is still another 120v relay some where. Plus i feel if there had been a direct short in the 120v line the breaker would have tripped and it wasn't.

Right now i feel like a dog chasing his tail , and maybe over complicating things.

Any and all suggestions would be appreciated

Heli_av8tor

• ---
Re: No 120VAC to water heater
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2017, 07:26:56 PM »
My 2004 Pace Arrow 37C has a 30 amp system.

There are two switches in the bathroom cabinet above the washer/dryer that switches power between the water heater, microwave, and water heater to prevent overload.

I chased my tail too until I discovered the switch in the wrong position to power the WH.

Tom
Tom & Theresa
2004 Pace Arrow 37C, Workhorse W22, 8.1 Vortec
2014 Honda CR-V Toad, Roadmaster -5 Base and tow bar
SMI Stay and Play Duo Brake system

dnnsmrgn

• ---
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2017, 08:06:40 AM »
Thanks for reply, but it has no washer and dryer , it never did . and there are no switches other than GFCI in bathroom, which I checked. .

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2017, 08:09:37 AM »
Odds are near 100% that the water heater 120v power does pass thru the Intelletec EMS, but I would not have that high on my list of potential problems. The coach wiring harness will have wires for the optional washer/dryer whether equipped or not, so labels don't always mean much.

You need to do some more problem isolation at the heater end first.  No power at the heater element may mean only that the control board hasn't turned it on for some reason. You need to check for 120v power coming into the heater controller, where a relay then switches it on/off as needed (thermostat control). You also need to verify that the 120v power on/off switch in your coach is indeed signalling the heater to activate 120v heating. That's actually a 12v switch that triggers the controller to begin using 120v mode. It is a separate switch from the LP gas mode.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

dnnsmrgn

• ---
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2017, 09:12:14 AM »
Thanks for your reply,
I have totally disconnected the 120 vac line from heater . I should have 120 vac there BEFORE it is hooked to relay on back of hot water heater. I have ohmed out and checked remote switch at sink for AC selection and it is good. Also, in reading Model 900 EMS service manual when hooked to shore power all relays are latched in a normally closed state , which I assume ( LOL ) they are because display panel shows green LED status light on , on all devices. (hot water heater, ac 1 , ac 2 and refrig an microwave). I will be working on it AGAIN today to look and check for a washer /dryer switch  SOMEWHERE. after looking, my next troubleshooting step will be to run an extension cord and wire it straight to water heater relay behind water heater and turn the ac remote switch on . If nothing else i will know new relay works and 12v control system thru hot water heater board works. i have ohmed out tstat fuse and eco both appear to be good .

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2017, 11:21:35 AM »
I have totally disconnected the 120 vac line from heater . I should have 120 vac there BEFORE it is hooked to relay on back of hot water heater.
Yes. Do you?

If so, your problem is in the switching of the control board.  If not, you have an open circuit in the wiring from the load center (breaker box) to that point. Basically a broken or disconnected wire.

I have ohmed out and checked remote switch at sink for AC selection and it is good.
Continuity (ohms) means a good switch, but does it have 12v power?
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck

dnnsmrgn

• ---
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2017, 12:34:45 PM »
No, i do not have 120 AC at line , yes i have 12vdc at relay . i can disconnect and reconnect 12vdc and hear new relay clicking (coil energizing). I am contemplating disconnecting the 120 from breaker panel (with main breaker off) taking a wire nut and tying the black wire and white wire together . Then go underneath to water heater 120 line and see if i have continuity. My only issue is if there is still an unknown relay some where it will still show as  an open circuit.

As expected shows as an open circuit.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 02:31:17 PM by dnnsmrgn »

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2017, 10:44:29 AM »
The only reason for another switch or relay is that this is an older rig that originally had a switched 120v line and then was upgraded with a heater that uses the direct 120v line and a 12v switch.Atwood changed from an externally switch 120v to the 12v remote back around 2002 (I don't recall just when).  If this is the original heater in your rig, there is very little chance there is any other switch in the 120v feed line.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck