School at a price

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom

Administrator
In the olde country education system, we sat a national exam at the age of 11 (known as the 11-plus), and they drew a line on the results at 10%. Anyone who was over the line went to grammar school and was eligible to apply to university, while the remaining 90% were destined for "secondary school", with no opportunity to attend university.

First time around, I was below the line, but made it on the allowed second sitting (phew!).

Meanwhile, courtesy of Amazon Prime, I've been watching a documentary on Harrow, a "public" aka private school with huge $$$ fees. Students attend from all over the world.

Too bad that kids can't receive an education unless they're born into a $$$ wealthy family.

FWIW coming from a largely coal mining family, I was given a lump of coal as a "good luck" charm for my exam desk while sitting the second 11+ exam. I guess it worked.

I dont understand, I thought we are paying $$$$

[quote author=QZ]I dont understand, I thought we are paying $$$$[/quote]

I'm talking about $200K out of pocket for 4-5 years of elementary education in a country where the folks are already taxed much higher than here in the US. I never understood why they were called "public schools" when only a fraction of 1% of kids that age could attend.

[quote author=Rene T]Did you keep it?[/quote]

The lump of coal went back in the coal shed, and ultimately on the fire, to help keep the house warm.

QZ said:
Oh ok, got it.

Tom - Ireland or Scotland or ?

From what I have heard I like Australia's system.  You attend through grade 10 and then either 'matriculate' - continue on to high school or take up an apprenticeship of some sort.  Our friend's son took the apprenticeship in 'body banging' (auto body repair) and eventually wound up working in that trade for a while and then moved on to become an electrician.  I have always wondered how we in the US came to believe that everyone needs a college degree (at great expense)?  I have a MBA degree in Industrial Management from Ohio State but was once told when I applied for a job late in my working life that my degree was too old to be of value; however, they said my practical experience in hands on jobs more than qualified me.  Strange huh?

Merry Christmas to all.

Bill

I have always wondered how we in the US came to believe that everyone needs a college degree (at great expense)?

Me too. Somehow there came to be a stigma attached if one did not go to college or chose to learn a trade instead of obtaining a degree in Underwater Basket Weaving or Videography.  America has de-valued the concept of manual labor.

This is something. I rercall when I went to college, I had to borrow for one semester.. less than $300. Today college costs thousands of dollars (many thousands) per semester. (though in truth a year ofr Catholic School (high) cost more for my  daughter than her first semester of College, but then she got half off via scholarship for tooting her flute, which she does VERY well).

And what is worse is the new "Tax Law" Trump just signed.  Student loan forgivness, Gone, Tax deduction for interest on the loan, Gone, and cost of education, Increased.  But in truth, parts of the new "law" are written in illegable script so nobody knows what all it says.

Bill, Harrow is in a suburb of London, so that would be England. Several of these very expensive privately operated schools (known as 'public' schools) exist in other parts of the UK.

The state run grammar & secondary schools (equivalent of high schools, and funded from taxes) existed across the UK. I happened to attend one of only two grammar schools in our part of Wales. All the state-funded schools came under an 'education authority' of which there was only one for the whole of Wales. In our case, the line drawn at 10% applied only to schools in Wales, while EAs in other parts of the UK presumably applied their own filter.

A few years after I attended grammar school, they abolished the 2-tier high school education system, and all pre-college kids attended "comprehensive school". Made more sense than attempting to academically screen all kids at 10 or 11 years of age.

Today I learned from a cousin in the UK that these very expensive private schools were actually started as charitable institutions for poor children, but that was a long time ago.

John From Detroit said:
And what is worse is the new "Tax Law" the T.Rump just signed.  Student loan forgivness, Gone, Tax deduction for interest on the loan, Gone, and cost of education, Increased.  But in truth, parts of the new "law" are written in illegable script so nobody knows what all it says.

To be honest John, I have done the formula on the new law and I will pay about $1000 less in taxes so I am not one to complain.  I also recognize the value of reducing the corporate tax figure which was one of the worlds highest to a reasonable level encouraging companies to return their overseas profits back home and invest in expansion of US properties and jobs.  Student loan forgiveness is not on my radar.  I say, if they really felt the need to borrow it, they  need to repay it.  What is the difference between a student loan and any other?  As I said earlier, college has become some sort of right of passage in this country and probably one reason the skilled manual jobs have gone overseas.  In summary, I like the tax law - it has been 30 years and is well needed.  JMHO

Bill if the CEOs owners and stock holders shared the tax cut with the workers, or hired more workers I would agree with you. but that is NOT going to happen. (Source. Experience)

John From Detroit said:
Bill if the CEOs owners and stock holders shared the tax cut with the workers, or hired more workers I would agree with you. but that is NOT going to happen. (Source. Experience)

John, this is what they are doing after the tax cut.

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/katiepavlich/2017/12/22/heres-a-list-or-companies-giving-worker-bonuses-aftee-tax-reform-n2426226

John From Detroit said:

John, it is not a matter of 'sharing' the result of the lower tax.  It can do several things - lower  the price, result in more expansion and the addition of jobs.  If you have experience it has to be at least 30 years old and my experience was somewhat different as I recall.  I really have to laugh when some people say it benefits the rich.  Twenty percent of the  taxpayers already pay 90 percent of the  taxes so maybe they are due a bit of a break.  The things that irk me the most (and they are in this tax bill) are the credits that actually give cash to people who pay NO taxes in the form of earned income credits or child care credits.  No need for me to go too deep into child care because I am one of those dinosaurs who believe that one parent should be at home providing the milk and cookies when the kids come home.  Lack of parenting is a whole nother subject best not broached in this thread.

Bill

Bill N said:
John, it is not a matter of 'sharing' the result of the lower tax.  It can do several things - lower  the price, result in more expansion and the addition of jobs.  If you have experience it has to be at least 30 years old and my experience was somewhat different as I recall.  I really have to laugh when some people say it benefits the rich.  Twenty percent of the  taxpayers already pay 90 percent of the  taxes so maybe they are due a bit of a break.  The things that irk me the most (and they are in this tax bill) are the credits that actually give cash to people who pay NO taxes in the form of earned income credits or child care credits.  No need for me to go too deep into child care because I am one of those dinosaurs who believe that one parent should be at home providing the milk and cookies when the kids come home.  Lack of parenting is a whole nother subject best not broached in this thread.

Bill

Why would a business lower its' prices just because it has more money?  I am guess stock holders would not like that.

Why would a business expand its' business and hire more people just because they have more cash?  If that were the case why isnt Apple, who has about 250 billion in cash on hand using this money to reduce prices, expand, or hire more people?

The same 20% who pay 90% of the taxes, I would guess make 90% of the income.

Paul & Ann said:
Why would a business lower its' prices just because it has more money?  I am guess stock holders would not like that.

Henry Ford did it several times and it made him one of the wealthiest men in America.

TonyDtorch said:
Henry Ford did it several times and it made him one of the wealthiest men in America.

There are lots of businesses besides Apple who have millions or billions in cash on hand.  If they were going to do any of the previously mentioned things, there is no reason they could have not done it already.  So why would anyone believe if they have millions or billions more, they will do things differently?

Millions or billions of dollars doesn't mean as much as it used to....

How much is Mr. Amazon worth now ?

the national debt is Trillions    That's a lot of money !

When the city of L.A. dropped a lot of the "Fees"  (or taxes) to film movies in the city.... the tax revenue increased.

Money stimulates taxes ....taxes never stimulate money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom