traveling to Gold Beach, Ore from Sacramento

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

henkelphoto

Hi guys!

My wife and I will be joining another couple in Sacramento and will be traveling to Gold Beach, Ore., for a couple of days of salmon fishing. I was looking at a map book and there doesn't seem to be any direct route to Gold Beach from Sacramento. One way is to go west from Redding to connect with the 101. The only other way that I can see is to continue up I-5 to Medford and then take 199 west back down to CA and over to the 101 from there (seems like a lot more driving on this route). Both of these routes seem to be quite curvy and mountainous. There is a seemingly small road from Medford directly to Gold Beach, but my map books doesn't mention it's number.

We will both be pulling small travel trailers (less than 24') so I was wondering which of these routes would be the safest for us.

Forgot to add, this won't happen till either late spring or early fall of 2018.

I live in Eureka and have made the drive to Sacramento too many times to count.  The best route in my opinion is I-5 to highway 20 and over to US 101. North on 101 to Gold Beach is no problem.  I pull a 22 foot TT.

I agree with Nash - I-5 to 20 to 101 north.  Don't even think about that small road from Medford (Grants Pass) to Gold Beach.  It's a narrow winding forest service road.

X3 on the  I-5 to 20 to 101 route. If you are not in a hurry, stop for a while at The Aurora RV Park on Clear Lake in NIce. It is a lovely spot, and the personnel on site are very welcoming and helpful.

Because sometimes I have fat fingers when I'm reading the Forum on my phone, and didn't catch my slipup.  Sorry about that and it's been fixed.

Agree that US 20 from the Willamette valley to the coast is the best cross-over for Gold Beach.

Under NO circumstances would I drive from  Redding to the coast on Hwy 299?.  IMO.

Have fun

Back
Top Bottom