Diesel fuel injection - mechanical or electronic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oldryder

Rookie - so to be owner - still shopping.  leaning towards a used diesel.

Wondering what year the Cat diesels switched from mechanical to electronic fuel injection.  (I assume they are all electronic now.)  Also, what watch outs, if any, for the initial years of the electronic fuel injected engines.

Is there an easy way to determine if a given RV has mech or elec fuel injection ; something like an on line database or other resource?

thx for help.

Mark in MN

Not sure about rv cat engines, but in over the road trucks from late 1994 thru early 1997 you could purchase a mechanical, semi mechanical (or semi electrical PEEK), or electronic controlled engine. I always used 1994 as the practical cutoff for mechanical cat engines in the trucking business though I had some friends that stayed with the mechanical engine for a couple years past that.
  The PEEK engines could be problematic, but the full electronic engines were bulletproof from the get go in my experience.

In the Cummins line, the engine model will be IS? for an electronic engine, e.g. "ISB" is electronic and plain "B" is mechanical. Don't think Cat had a neat naming scheme like that.  According to Wikipdia, the popular Cat 3126 was Cat's first electronic engine in 1997, replacing the mechanical 3116. It later (2003) became the C7. Any of the Cat engines with "C" in the name will be electronic.

Actually, all the RV diesels after 1997 will be electronic - it's only the period of 1996-1997 where there is any question. Before that they are all mechanical. Unless you are shopping in that year range, you won't have any meaningful choice.

I don't know of any particular problem with any of the electronic systems, Cat or Cummins, at least nothing that would say "avoid!".  However, like any technology, the later versions are generally improved somewhat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom