RETIRE HERE NOT THERE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alaskansnowbirds

Site Team
Interesting read

https://www.workandmoney.com/s/retire-here-not-there-d96e761abd6040b9?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=fac&utm_campaign=retirehere-a741ddd29df53f50

Interesting... I kind of like retiring into a motor home and moving about.

Of course if some folks get their way (Evil folks) retirement won't happen for many of today's workers.

I was hoping we would, at least, be in the ?bottom ten?!    It?s gotten far too crowded here, over the last 10 years!

The majority of the top 10 tax incentive states are in the snow belt,  where winter heating costs can erase any annual tax advantage.

#11 is Arizona ...that works for me.

Having lived in many of those northern states I found that article very difficult to believe. It read like they were trying to drive retirees to those northern states.

I'm sort of stuck with my first requirement being no snow. After that I'd start getting picky about how consistent I want the temperature to be. As the author says there are 49% of the surveyed people saying weather wasn't most important factor. Money surely matters to me but the author may talking about maintaining the persons current life style. I'm sitting in the desert and have probably spent $100 for propane, dump, water, gasoline this month. I'm not hooked up or sitting at the pool. I'm doing even better than that. :)

As the author says there are 49% of the surveyed people saying weather wasn't most important factor. Money surely matters to me but the author may talking about maintaining the persons current life style.)
I think those surveyed are the same 100 people they survey for Family Feud.  ::) ;D

The 'Current lifestyle' in Maine or New Hampshire is shoveling 60" of snow or huddled inside a house.

that's not what I wanted to do in my retirement .  :)

Where to retire is a complex subject. Let's look at one couple that sells their current home, and makes $25,000 profit to buy a small retirement home, and then live off of $2000/month SS, then look at a couple that sells off 10 investment/rental properties, buys a "cheap" $250,000 vacation cabin, banks the rest, collects $4000/month SS, along with another $4000/month from other retirement income, etc. The one couple will be looking at a lot of things differently than the other couple.

TonyDtorch said:
The 'Currant lifestyle' in Maine or New Hampshire is shoveling 60" of snow or huddled inside a house.

that's not what I wanted to do in my retirement .  :)

I agree.  It was not what I wanted years ago when I lived on the east coast and why I moved to Phoenix.

Maybe all of these stories should start with a new and improved rating method.....lets call it the broken hip index ....:)

8) First off, I guess we all live within our means! I'm disabled at just a little over 66, and live in a 34' fifth wheel near the Nashville area. My lot rent and utilities average out at $375.00 per month with Dec. thru February about $75.00 more for propane and electric and car and Ins.=$72.00. My health care and Scripts is with the VA.
  For entertainment I ride my Mountain Bike, of course on more level ground, fish, and attend some of the low cost and free events locally.  ;D
    I worked since I was 12 with paper routes and then 3 yrs., 1971-4 in Uncle Sam's Army and up to year 2000 for various employers in the motor vehicle mechanic field and work-camped for until I became disabled from a Severe Heart Attack that left me with Congestive heart failure, shortness of breath, and fatigue! Life is still quite good I am on top of the grass.  8)

We intend on moving from Utah to Iowa in 2019. I retired in 2015 and Kevin retired in 2013. We are doing it for family, cost of living, health care,  and enjoying four seasons. The snow isn?t an issue if you become a snowbird! There are also a number of places people can buy that include snow removal along with summer yard maintenance. We will either buy a condo where exterior maintenance is included or a house where we just hire a maintenance company. Then again, we have a comfortable income in retirement being one of the lucky ones with pensions. My kids sure won?t have it as easy!

Memtb said:
    I was hoping we would, at least, be in the ?bottom ten?!    It?s gotten far too crowded here, over the last 10 years!
We've been thinking about moving our entire family (71 and growing) out your way. Where exactly are you?
Thanks, Jeff

Alpena Jeff said:
We've been thinking about moving our entire family (71 and growing) out your way. Where exactly are you?
Thanks, Jeff

Jeff,  North Central! You may need to check with the State Immigration Department. We may have already reached our Michigander Quota!    ;)    It May require some adjustments...closest Wal-Mart is 90+ miles, nearest large city (50 K) 155 miles (too close), nearest interstate - 100+ miles (over a mountain pass...can be a winter challenge), average annual precipitation- 6”, winter temperatures occasionally -30(can be cooler), summer highs -100+ (for 2 or 3 weeks per summer).  Try it - you might like it!

Just noticed the Harley,you do have chains...don’t you?

"We will either buy a condo where exterior maintenance is included"  ..

Exactly !  a condo.  If I never paint another house, or repair a fence or roof again.... it will be too soon.

North central kinda broad. Got gps numbers? I got a nephew that can skin and quarter a deer in 22 minutes.
You have hookups for 20 campers? Most have tents.

Back
Top Bottom