Motorcycle Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would never waste a pie that way. Never met one I didn't like!
BMW makes a bad ass automobile but I have no experience with the bikes. I run with a Harley crowd, or at least did. Nothing like having something big and powerful between your legs.  8)

TonyDtorch said:
Do you have to even shift gears on a Wing...or are they a full automatic now days ?      I know they have a reverse.    ;D

If it was me I'd buy a smaller electric start dual-sport type bike and put it on a bumper rack.    like a Kaw KLR650

I think some of the new Wings are automatic. Mine's an '08, still 5 speed. It does have reverse too.
For the Harley look & sound, I have my VTX 1300R. I don't think it vibrates as much as a Harley, but it does thump pretty good. ;D

IMO...(as an ex m/c repair shop owner)

A BMW (motorcycle) is one of those 'engineers' type vehicles.  They love all the German seriousness, but as with most German vehicles The Fun factor is completely unimportant and accidental if it happens.

And ...I have always said this about Japanese products (both cars and bikes).....If you told the Japanese to make a copy of a Monet painting.  It would come back looking just like a photograph.

I like vehicles that are fun ..... To me,  old British or American bikes (and cars) are just way more fun than some Honda is.

It's the ride...not the destination.

TonyDtorch said:
IMO...(as an ex m/c repair shop owner)

A BMW (motorcycle) is one of those 'engineers' type vehicles.  They love all the German seriousness, but as with most German vehicles The Fun factor is completely unimportant and accidental if it happens.

And ...I have always said this about Japanese products (both cars and bikes).....If you told the Japanese to make a copy of a Monet painting.  It would come back looking just like a photograph.

I like vehicles that are fun ..... To me,  old British or American bikes (and cars) are just way more fun than some Honda is.

It's the ride...not the destination.

Just like hammers and screwdrivers. They both are good at what they do. I always figured Hondas was more along the lines of 500 cc of 2 stroke pulling a long sand hill with a 20 foot rooster tail of sand and my kid hanging on  behind me. Or blowing over three foot woops at full throttle. I liked being able to ride it vs work on it. One of my early bikes was a BSA 441 Victor special. The kick starter would blow a hole in my tennis shoe. YES, tennis shoes, you know, fools gear. :)

And just so y'all know, I really don't care what motorcycle anyone rides.  If he/she is having fun riding it safely, that is what matters most.  My point in my above post is that BMW motorcycles are not necessarily as highly rated as some folks believe them to be.  They have quality and reliability issues and recalls....just like every other brand, so do your research before buying anything.....just like with anything else...and don't fall for the Hype surrounding the name.

While we're discussing motorcycles, if anyone is into retro, check out the Honda CB1100EX. Back to the '70's!
And Harley's have had reverse for years, my 1946 45" flathead had reverse. All I had to do was install a gear from a 45" Servicar. Cost me a whole $18. I already had a shifting drum and dash plate with reverse capability. Just about killed myself with it. Didn't take me long to change the dash plate back to a non-reverse so I wouldn't play around with it.

anyone that doesn't love cars and motorcycles.... should buy Japanese vehicles.

They are disposable transportation vehicles...if something goes wrong they are not worth fixing,  just throw it away and get a new one.

Comparing a Honda to a Harley is like comparing a Bic lighter... to a Zippo lighter.

I've rode Harleys most of my adult life, and still have one left. I still have nothing against foreign made bikes. If there was an Ultra and a 'Wing sitting in my garage, and I was going to ride to Florida from Delaware, I'd most likely jump on the 'Wing.

IMO to answer the OP's question I doubt a Class C will work for towing a Jeep and a Wing.

I have a Class A with a hydraulic motorcycle lift and it will carry a Gold Wind and then could tow a Jeep too.
Putting a lift on a Class C big enough to hold a GW is not likely going to happen.

Getting a trailer big enough to put both the GW and Jeep in would likely be more then he could carry or tow.

So IMO IF having a 4 wheel vehicle and a GW with you is that important, then upgrade to a Class A DP and you can do it.
IF your not willing to do that, then get a trailer for the GW and have someone else drive the Jeep behind you.  Take your pick.  :)

RedandSilver said:
So IMO IF having a 4 wheel vehicle and a GW with you is that important, then upgrade to a Class A DP and you can do it.
IF your not willing to do that, then get a trailer for the GW and have someone else drive the Jeep behind you.  Take your pick.  :)

This is actually what I would do if I wanted both.
I have an enclosed trailer for the Wing, I've seen how dirty vehicles get when pulling them behind the MH. Shoot, my car caddy has quite a lot of soot on the left fender just from the MH engine.
Although I've seen lots of lifts for m/c's on DP's, I'm still a chicken and would be paranoid to do it.lol

kdbgoat said:
Harley's have had reverse for years, my 1946 45" flathead had reverse. All I had to do was install a gear from a 45" Servicar. Cost me a whole $18. I already had a shifting drum and dash plate with reverse capability. Just about killed myself with it. Didn't take me long to change the dash plate back to a non-reverse so I wouldn't play around with it.

I ran out of popcorn so here goes....I had one of those years ago and unfortunately sold it. Mine was an 1945 "45" an old Army bike.

Now there 4 Harley sitting in the shop, a 52 panhead chop that used to take me to work and bars, a 77 shovel that we took to La. and back, an 08 ultra which gets rode weekly for trips more than 20 miles and an 08 streetbob that is great for trips to breakfast and and occasional bar hop.

So far I have owned or rode, Lambretta, Yamaha, Royal Enfield Indian, Triumph, Bmw, Honda Suzuki, Kawasaki and finally HARLEYS.....

Whatever you ride enjoy it, someday you may not be able to.

My first bike was an Ossa dirt bike. Had a lot of fun on that. I think it was about $800 new in 1970. I had a Yamaha after I joined the AF. Didn't keep that one long. My wife bought a $28,000 swim spa once and I told her I was buying a Harley. Bought a Sporster 48 and almost lost all my teeth, very rough ride. Traded that for a Heritage Softail. Had that shipped to England and since I am a fair weather rider I think there was about three days nice enough for me to ride the bike. Sold the Heritage in the U.K. On eBay. Oh, and I had a Honda Passport. Young guy in our shop at Mt Home, ID won it at the NCO Club and was embarrassed to ride it. So I bought it and when we moved to Las Vegas it was stolen.

One option we're looking at is a dolly tow with the motorcycles cross loaded.  At destination can switch to tow the dolly with the Jeep if needed. 

http://www.tandem-tow.com/HDXL.htm

Oldgator73 said:
My first bike was an Ossa dirt bike.

Welcome back O/G.

if you had an Ossa in 1970 you were King of the Hill,  I dreamed of a Husky, Bultaco or an Ossa but all I could afford was new 1970 Yamaha 125 Enduro.        Loved that bike.. took it everywhere with me in the Army.

(In fact I may just go on EBay and get me another one as a lovely little retirement award.  :)) )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom