Motorcycle Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Harley's don't leak...they mark their spot.

and when a British bikes stops leaking....it's just the low oil indicator... :)

As I've gotten older I've realized this about Vehicles....

In Cars.

If I wanted a good little sports car to buzz reliably around the hills with the top down and the radio playing (sorry..Bluetooth library to you millennials  ;) ) .. A Mazda Miata will do that perfectly well.  been there done that, over it.

But,  Tooling through the hills is a whole different experience.. in a wonderful old Austin Healey 3000.

The same thing with motorcycles...most all of the newer ones (aka Japanese) are just sole-less reliable transportation machines. 

sorry,  They don't do anything for me. 

I am going to make one more comment here.  I'm not even sure what a "hipster" is, so I don't know if I am one or not.  What I do know is that I've been riding motorcycles since 1971 (46 years) and I've had dirt bikes, Enduro bikes, I campaigned a drag bike, rode ATVs, Street bikes, and track only/race bikes that have been ridden at Road Atlanta, Barber, NCM, CMP, Little Tally, Jennings, and Nashville.  I've been knee down at 120 mph through T6 at NCM, and 175-176 mph down the back straight at Road Atlanta.  I've sold em for a living, I've rode them for years and years, and I continue to enjoy them.  So, I guess you could say that I've had a bit of experience with them....but the thing that confounds me....What's a hipster?    8)

Just a note for those that are constantly accusing the old harleys of leaking oil. They have an automatic oiler that is adjustable with a screwdriver, it sends crankcase oil onto the drive chain so there is always an oil drip there,the primary case is designed to hold a vacuum under test, this allows the oil in the case to return to its tank.  That explains the oil drip, if needed the oiler can be screwed all the way in and there will be no oil puddle.   

Brit bikes- electrics by Lucas, Prince of Darkness. ;D Yes I've owned a BSA too. Had to sell it before I finished it though.

There's an old Harley riders saying....  "If I have to explain it to you...you'll never get it".... ;D

Oldgator73 said:
Kept mine in the dining room. No leaks.

When my wife moved in 34 yrs ago as a girlfriend she saw my 52 pan sitting in the living room and said that will have to go outside........eventually I did take it outside after I banged into it several times.

yes,  gotta love Tecnology.

Today I can put any Grandmother in a new Tesla, have her mash the peddle and do a mid 10 second 1/4 mile run....wow back in the 60's I used to think that was superhero stuff.

Being in the 200 mph Bonneville club is not what all it was either......just go buy any brand new BMW, Honda, Kawasaki/Suzuki superbike and bypass the speed limit settings and you're knocking on the door... if it was on blacktop I'll bet even gramma could even leave the traction control on...  1st run..maybe 180MPH.  :))

catblaster said:
When my wife moved in 34 yrs ago as a girlfriend she saw my 52 pan sitting in the living room and said that will have to go outside........eventually I did take it outside after I banged into it several times.

Or was it a matter of survival. "Yes Dear".  :p :-[ :-X :'( ;D

The photo I posted was our house in England. My wife had gone back to the States to care for our grandkids. I'm pretty sure the bike would not have been in the kitchen if she was still there.

Xrated.

Nothing on you.

The guys I was referring to are what I see as these younger super high tech, world economy, bearded, man bun guys wearing tight jeans, Factory colored leather jacket with elbow pads, a Go/Pro on their helmet, the Iphone GPS/music on the bars, ear buds...... riding those actual Repsol Honda RC51 tribute bikes (could've been a factory rider if he want to),  out on a Sunday ride. 

You've seen them right ?..  those knowers of all "real" information.....disgusted with those damn archaic Harley riders...a hipster kinda guy ?

:) ( just fun)

OK........I'm definitely NOT a Hipster then.  I'm somewhat clear on who/what you are referring to.  When they are on sportbikes, we sometimes call them "squids".  That's a combo of squirrly and kid!  Usually no protective gear, rides on the street doing dangerous/stupid stuff with no regard for anyone but themselves.

And now, back to your regularly scheduled programming.

xrated said:
OK........I'm definitely NOT a Hipster then.  I'm somewhat clear on who/what you are referring to.  When they are on sportbikes, we sometimes call them "squids".  That's a combo of squirrly and kid!  Usually no protective gear, rides on the street doing dangerous/stupid stuff with no regard for anyone but themselves.

And now, back to your regularly scheduled programming.

We just had a "squid" bite the big one last night....right into the side of a semi making a left turn...They didnt say who was at fault but did make the statement that the bike was traveling at a high rate of speed. No Happy New Year for him.

The L.A. fire dept. refers to them as ..'Organ Donors'.

Every weekend up on Mulholland Drive at least one guy crashes a Panigale or other superbike trying to show everyone how talented he is coming back from the Rock Store,  all us old archaic British and Harley riders carefully pass by the scene with all the flashing emergency lights and 2 or 3 other Rice Rockets parked nearby.

Do you remember back in 74/75 when the Goldwing first came out it was marketed as "the new 'Sport' bike from Honda".....it was a flop as a Sport bike,  so they put bags and a windshield on it and sold them to old men as a cruiser.

xrated said:
I always get a laugh out of the people that are like...I'm buying an "AMERICAN" made motorcycle, not that Japanese crap.  Did you know that the forks on the Harleys are made by Showa....a Honda owned company?  Did you know that the Brembo brakes aren't American made either?  A majority of the electronics that are on the Harleys are Japanese made!  When I worked in motorcycle sales, you couldn't find an American made piece of Harley branded clothing in the Harley Davidson dealership!  What's up with that....riding an "American" made Harley with Japanese parts, then getting pissed off when someone else prefers another brand?  I'm not saying that pissed off person is YOU, I'm saying that there is a lot of folks walking around with blinders on....trying to be something that they are not.  The Japanese products from years ago were in fact, mostly junk, everyone knew that and made fun of that.  But the Japanese adapted.....figuring out how to build better and better products.  Their success pushed, for example, the American car industry to make a choice....either start building better cars to compete with their Japanese competitors, or lose marketshare.  If forced a lot of the industries to improve their products because most people would rather spend their hard earned money for a quality product than to spend the same amount, maybe more, on inferior products.  It's reality.  You can love it, you can hate it, or you can just ignore it....but the bottom line is that the available product choices of many things have improved tremendously over the years.  The Chinese are going through that very same thing right now, that the Japanese did 50 years ago.  They will improve also....which will, in the end, cause the American industry to improve their products to a higher quality.....or they will fall behind and lose marketshare.

Also, most forget (or don't know) that until 2012 the Honda Goldwing was built in Marysville Ohio, which last time I checked was in the USA...

Look around you next time at a stop light.

You will see about 10% of the cars are from American companies. Every year it gets less and less.

Yes. You guys are correct. The American motorcycle is on it's way to being one of those things we fondly remember like your favorite Schwinn bicycle.

GM is financially upside down with benefit obligations, Chrysler should have been allowed to die instead of increasing the national debt with it's declining sales. Ford will hang on for a while and then will finally go the same way as Sears will this year or next.  (except for the Iphone..mfg. in China) American's product marketplace (GNP) is shrinking more and more every day.

Just read your comments.....  IMO,    the writing is on the walls...It's all over for American vehicle manufactures.    :-X 

Confidence is gone from American products,  and foreign companies will pounce on the weakness of American makers in this "World Economy".

Look around America,  once an industry is gone...it's gone forever,  the town becomes another ghost town with a story,  or an assembly plant for some foreign company.

In the 'World Economy'....Do you think the Chinese or Japanese also feel competition is great for everybody ? 

;D  ...In the background I can hear Don Meredith singing.... " The Party's over".

(I'm done..sorry)

See if you can pick out the products made in the USA:

While you are sitting on your couch watching the grandkids open their Christmas presents, a Wilson football and some K-Nex toys, your wife is in the kitchen making cookies using her new Kitchen Aid mixer. Of course you are on your computer that has Intel chips installed. You put down your tablet and pick up your Crayola Crayons and start a letter to your congress person on a Post-it note. You hear your wife opening the new Sub Zero fridge in the kitchen. It is so comfortable sitting in front of the fireplace with Duraflame logs burning. Now the wife is making a racket getting the Pyrex glassware out. Oh no, she dropped one. Time to get out the Oreck XL vacuum and clean up the mess.

The Japs killed everyone.  and they also killed factory sponsored Flat Track racing.  (you can't shift,  if your shifter is in the dirt).

[/quote]
racing flat track back then we could not down shift once you hit 4th gear you had to stay in it except on tt races. the first time i raced a yamaha i almost blew it up trying to shift the brake lever.
the Japanese didn't kill anything they simply built a better mouse trap and advertised it

And then... the Chinese take that great little Orek vacuum and start selling an exact copy at Walmart for half the price....(and advertise it).
... those little Oreks are friggen expensive...I bought one.

Beaverfever....In the early days, (pre 69) Flat track bikes didn't have any brakes (same as Speedway racing today).....it was only after a couple bad pit accidents AMA allowed brakes.

then...they found they could actually go faster with a front brake on the bike, you just tap it and it pitches the bike sideways into the turn,... at 100 mph.  :eek:

Jeff in Ferndale Wa said:
Also, most forget (or don't know) that until 2012 the Honda Goldwing was built in Marysville Ohio, which last time I checked was in the USA...

So,  When (or if) you ever ride your shiny new Honda in a Veterans Day or 4th of July parade,  it's totally cool to put little American flags all over it ?

or would you get a beer bottle thrown at you for being dumb ?..  ...( that's probably what I would do  8) )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom