EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Atlanta Georgia to Dewey Arizona in January  (Read 511 times)

ysidive

• ---
  • Coachmen Freedom Express , 2011 Silverado 2500HD
Atlanta Georgia to Dewey Arizona in January
« on: December 27, 2017, 05:53:42 AM »
I am considering this trip via a partial southern route I 20.. Jackson Mississippi, possibly a stop in Terrell Texas, on to Odessa Texas to Route 10 up into New Mexico and Arizona.. What kind of weather can I realistically expect?  Thought about I40 but after some research it seems that the higher altitudes in that route could be icy or a lot of snow at that time of year...I will be towing a 31 foot travel trailer... Any advice would be greatly appreciated.....

OSUTRIKERS

• ---
Re: Atlanta Georgia to Dewey Arizona in January
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2017, 06:37:59 PM »
Should be much safer on southern route. We live in Oklahoma City and go to Az for a couple of the winter months. We head south to I20 vi Wichita Falls, the to El Paso, up to las cruces, then over to Arizona.  I40 is always iffy especially around flagstaff.  We have had good luck with our overnights at RV parks this way. La Hacinda in las cruces, Cochise terrace in Benson Az.
2013 Allegro Open Road
2014 Jeep Wrangler

LarsMac

• ---
  • Larry and Margo With Ami the Chi-cha
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2017, 07:47:03 PM »
I-20 is not a bad run in the winter. Though, you do have to mind the weather and be a bit flexible.
From Meridian to Shreveport, you're running through a lot of wetland areas and high humidity with a cold snap can create some hazardous conditions rather quickly.
Stay with the southern route on 20 and 10 until you get to Phoenix you should be fine.

2000 Itasca Sundancer 430V
2007 Saturn Vue

"The trouble with people isn't that they don't know, but that they know so much that ain't so."

malexander

• ---
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2017, 04:35:40 AM »
Should be much safer on southern route. We live in Oklahoma City and go to Az for a couple of the winter months. We head south to I20 vi Wichita Falls, the to El Paso, up to las cruces, then over to Arizona.  I40 is always iffy especially around flagstaff.  We have had good luck with our overnights at RV parks this way. La Hacinda in las cruces, Cochise terrace in Benson Az.

Okie here also.
It can actually get pretty sketchy as far east as Erick or Elk City that time of year.
Marshall Alexander
2007 Fleetwood Bounder 38N DP, 2008 GL 1800 Goldwing, 2007 VTX 1300, Cessna 150 & 172, Rans S19 Venterra

LarsMac

• ---
  • Larry and Margo With Ami the Chi-cha
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2017, 01:55:33 PM »

Okie here also.
It can actually get pretty sketchy as far east as Erick or Elk City that time of year.

The stretch of I-40 between Memphis and OKC can be a bit scary in the winter time, as well. Not to mention the Texas Panhandle. There is nothing to stop the winter winds when they get howling across there.

2000 Itasca Sundancer 430V
2007 Saturn Vue

"The trouble with people isn't that they don't know, but that they know so much that ain't so."

malexander

• ---
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2017, 07:00:19 PM »
The stretch of I-40 between Memphis and OKC can be a bit scary in the winter time, as well. Not to mention the Texas Panhandle. There is nothing to stop the winter winds when they get howling across there.

Yeah the only thing to slow the wind down out in the panhandle is a 5-wire fence. ;D
Marshall Alexander
2007 Fleetwood Bounder 38N DP, 2008 GL 1800 Goldwing, 2007 VTX 1300, Cessna 150 & 172, Rans S19 Venterra

johnaye

• ---
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2017, 03:56:54 PM »

Yeah the only thing to slow the wind down out in the panhandle is a 5-wire fence. ;D

And four of the five strands have been blown down :D
John and Becky
2004 Alfa See Ya DP
2008 Honda CRV

Experience comes from mistakes.  I have a lot of experience