Atlanta Georgia to Dewey Arizona in January

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ysidive

I am considering this trip via a partial southern route I 20.. Jackson Mississippi, possibly a stop in Terrell Texas, on to Odessa Texas to Route 10 up into New Mexico and Arizona.. What kind of weather can I realistically expect?  Thought about I40 but after some research it seems that the higher altitudes in that route could be icy or a lot of snow at that time of year...I will be towing a 31 foot travel trailer... Any advice would be greatly appreciated.....

Should be much safer on southern route. We live in Oklahoma City and go to Az for a couple of the winter months. We head south to I20 vi Wichita Falls, the to El Paso, up to las cruces, then over to Arizona.  I40 is always iffy especially around flagstaff.  We have had good luck with our overnights at RV parks this way. La Hacinda in las cruces, Cochise terrace in Benson Az.

I-20 is not a bad run in the winter. Though, you do have to mind the weather and be a bit flexible.
From Meridian to Shreveport, you're running through a lot of wetland areas and high humidity with a cold snap can create some hazardous conditions rather quickly.
Stay with the southern route on 20 and 10 until you get to Phoenix you should be fine.

OSUTRIKERS said:
Should be much safer on southern route. We live in Oklahoma City and go to Az for a couple of the winter months. We head south to I20 vi Wichita Falls, the to El Paso, up to las cruces, then over to Arizona.  I40 is always iffy especially around flagstaff.  We have had good luck with our overnights at RV parks this way. La Hacinda in las cruces, Cochise terrace in Benson Az.

Okie here also.
It can actually get pretty sketchy as far east as Erick or Elk City that time of year.

malexander said:
Okie here also.
It can actually get pretty sketchy as far east as Erick or Elk City that time of year.

The stretch of I-40 between Memphis and OKC can be a bit scary in the winter time, as well. Not to mention the Texas Panhandle. There is nothing to stop the winter winds when they get howling across there.

LarsMac said:
The stretch of I-40 between Memphis and OKC can be a bit scary in the winter time, as well. Not to mention the Texas Panhandle. There is nothing to stop the winter winds when they get howling across there.

Yeah the only thing to slow the wind down out in the panhandle is a 5-wire fence. ;D

malexander said:
Yeah the only thing to slow the wind down out in the panhandle is a 5-wire fence. ;D

And four of the five strands have been blown down :D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chewys79
Back
Top Bottom