Video: Finding and Refilling Boondocking Water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Two questions we often see on RV forums and Facebook groups both relate to boondocking water: where to find it, and how to refill it while staying long term. My new video today shows how we deal with both issues:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_VlsVWldG8

I welcome your feedback! If you've got other solutions I'd love to hear them.

Good video, thanks for the ideas. We currently use one plastic, 46-gallon RV tank for fresh water hauling and another for grey/black water transfers while long-term boondocking, but they take up a fair amount of space (14"X19"X37" I believe.) I think we might replace the fresh water transfer tank with one of the pillow tanks you use, that's really slick.

Also, definitely going to get a portable digital water meter like you use. I have been wanting to know just how much we are putting in our tank, as we fill it different amounts for different reasons (just enough water to travel from camp to camp with, enough for a few days, etcetera.) That meter is just the thing!

One thing that might make your life easier (it has mine!) is hose quick connects between the hose and tank. They eliminate the need to thread/unthread (rotate) hoses and fittings, especially useful on the male hose end that doesn't have the swivel collar built in. Super quick, no twisted hoses.

These are the ones we have https://www.amazon.com/Melnor-Quick-Connect-4-Piece-Garden/dp/B00004SDUW/ref=sr_1_8?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1518134493&sr=1-8&keywords=hose+quick+connects , not the best quality, but they are cheap.

There are better ones out there made of brass that I plan to upgrade to once I figure out a reason why these just aren't good enough. ;)

Thanks again for the video!

Good info for those who travel. My TT is parked out in the woods of MI and doesn't move. I have used a similar set up for many years. Only difference is I use a 55 gallon food grade plastic drum, 50' of 1/2" potable water hose, and a Shurflo pump picked up at a RV surplus outlet. I also made a trigger type nozzle to take advantage of the pressure switch on the pump. Works great for small outside washing jobs without wasting the water.

Well done. 

msw3113 said:
Maybe I missed it, but does anyone have a source for that collapsible bladder tank?

I had this one for awhile and was happy with it. Beware though, the surface the tank lies on must be smooth or it can rub an unrepairable hole in the tank (ask me how I know  :-\ ). I plan on replacing it with a rigid polyethylene tank.

Back
Top Bottom