Azdel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

burgawpm

I think there is a consensus that lamination with Azdel is the better product for a TT. It is very difficult to find which TTs use Azdel. Besides Lance and some models (which I am not sure) of Forest River and Gulfstream. Any ideas on finding these?  Thank you.

Who is in this consensus that thinks Azdel is better than something else?  Would they happen to work in Coachmen's or Gulfstream's advertising department?  It's not clear to me that Azdel  has any advantage other than a relatively low manufacturing cost. It's a replacement for old stick & tin construction and maybe better than that, but there are many other excellent composites.

Google shows that Gulfstream, Lance, &  Coachmen use Adzel composites.

Thanks Gary,  So you have no problem with luan for lamination issues. I was looking at high end TTs like Lance which is above my price change. Then I look at Forest River which seems to be highly rated and they use luan in the Surveyor. I guess we go back to previous advice I have read. Find a floor plan you like and go with it. And take care of it.

luan will crumble if it gets wet adzel will not obsorb water and crumble therefore will not release the fiberglass (delamination) my chaparral has it and also adds r2 to the insulation value of my 2 inch thick walls

Whether the siding is Azdel, Luan, aluminum or canvas, the most important thing is FLOOR PLAN!!  EVERYTHING ELSE is secondary.

I probably over-reacted to the "consensus" claim, though still feel it is a bit over-the-top. Yes, a composite does have some advantages over luan backing.

I get that Adzel is a composite rather than a laminate, so no luan backing.  It's scarcely the only brand of composite, though, and other manufacturers use other brands.  There are also laminates that use synthetic backing rather than luan.  Plus, much of the advertising claims by Gulfstream & Coachmen are versus the old stick & tin construction, not filon-luan laminate.

I'll grant that a luan-backed laminate can be damaged by water intrusion, but water intrusion is a serious problem no matter what exterior sidewall material is in use. Floors still rot, mold still forms, interior walls still deteriorate, etc. And the composite skin is still bonded to the frame and can still detach (delaminate) if mositure damages the adhesive.  So, you still need to stay on the lookout for leaks at seams and windows, and using something like Adzel is not a panacea.  It's probably better than what those companies were using before, though.

Mine is Azdel, but I still stress over water intrusion as if it is cardboard.  ;D I'd rather not be a test subject for it.

From my experience, it's not so much the materials used as the TT industry has yet to figure out how to built them with out leaks. Just my two drops worth.

Happy camping and hope it's dry. All have a healthy, peaceful and prosperous new year!

Tom

I believe the biggest issues with the laminates of any type, is not the materials; it is the proper assembly of those materials.

Most of the TT issues we read about are not the fault of the materials that were used but how the were assembled.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom