Slides

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ClickHill

I saw on a Facebook site that someone recommended opening a door or window when moving your slide.  Has anyone ever heard of this?

Yup. It may not be necessary, but if your rig is very airtight it may relieve some stress from the slide mechanism. Kinda like the old VW bug whose doors closed more easily if you first rolled a window down a little. But not all rigs are tight enough to matter.

most rigs have a roof vent that is opened up just a bit.

Yes, we open the door. It really makes a difference, especially for the full wall slide.

It's on Facebook - it must be true!  8)

But seriously, yes our manual recommends a vent, window, or door be open. Our slide switch is near the door and you can definitely feel the air movement as the slide goes in or out.

I doubt that many RVs are air-tight enough to make any difference, especially once the slide begins to move and gaps open around the edges (the seals only engage when the slide is fully in or out). However, I see many recommendations to do this and it surely can't hurt.  The larger the slide, the more air has to move to fill in as it opens, so this is perhaps more a concern on big rigs or full wall slides.

Our 5er has a vented ( to outside, like a home) attic, which eliminates the need to open a door or window. Also, helps minimize the high humidity and interior “sweating” that many experience in cold weather. We have “no” sweating in temperatures down to and below zero F. One of our previous 5er’s had a solar powered attic vent fan. The vented attic sure makes winter camping pretty nice!

Back
Top Bottom