EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: 5W - Transporting a UTV to trails  (Read 564 times)

Sprigelz

5W - Transporting a UTV to trails
« on: December 27, 2017, 08:21:44 PM »
Trying to decide between a Truck Camper (TC) w/ towing trailer or a 5W w/ 12' garage. Assuming I have an F350, Diesel, DRW what do you think would be a better option for fulltiming? Obviously the 5W has better living space and what not, the downside is that I may or may not be able to get it into some of campgrounds/trails that I want to ride in, which would make it impossible to get my UTV there as it is not street legal in every state. The TC would be the better choice in that aspect.

Thoughts?

QZ

• ---
Re: 5W - Transporting a UTV to trails
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2017, 11:40:25 PM »
Sounds like you're stuck at truck camper.  My one must have item is a recliner. If I had another TC I'd have to figure out a way to have comfortable seating.   With a TC you are outdoors more but at the end of the day or when it's raining I need a place to relax. DW needed a decent kitchen and I needed a lazy boy.

Where do you ride? What is the trade off with the type of places you would give up if going to the FW. Would you not be able to go to a lot of your favorite places?

I know it's mind racking sometimes. I ended up with a FW and a utility trailer and it works well but our emphasis is wide open desert that is easy to maneuver, hard packed and no trees.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 11:43:31 PM by QZ »

Memtb

• ---
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2017, 07:30:57 AM »
   We went a class c, for towing the boat or the UTV....when hunting/fishing out of state!
Todd and Marianne
Home Base: Winchester, Wy.
Miniature Schnauzers - Sundai, Nellie and Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500,  6.7 Ram 6 speed manual, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom
2007 Bigfoot Class C

grashley

• ---
  • Western KY for now.
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2017, 05:50:12 PM »
The best of both worlds??

Go with the FW, using an Andersen Ultimate hitch.  It only weighs 37 lbs and can be removed or installed in the truck bed in 5 minutes.  Now the truck bed is available to carry the UTV for day trips.
Preacher Gordon, DW Debbie
09 Grand Junction 35 TMS  Progressive HW50C
Andersen Ultimate hitch
2013 F350 Lariat LB SRW Supercab diesel 4X4   TST TMS  Garmin 760
Nimrod Series 70 popup (sold)
It's not a dumb question if you do not know the answer.

rambler28

• ---
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2017, 10:06:09 PM »
I also have F350 diesel and pull a 30' FW toyhauler I don't have to much trouble about parking spaces usually go to BLM campgrounds never a problem in the West if concerned about space I unload the side by side and check it out first.
How old would you be if you didn't know how old you were?

Sprigelz

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2018, 05:33:40 PM »
Thank you all for the information. After further research I feel like a Class B, specifically the Roadtrek 210 Popular will be my choice. It is small, convenient and boasts an almost 8000lb towing capacity.

Lynx0849

• ---
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2018, 08:21:41 PM »
Thank you all for the information. After further research I feel like a Class B, specifically the Roadtrek 210 Popular will be my choice. It is small, convenient and boasts an almost 8000lb towing capacity.

Note that towing capacity isnít likely your limitation. You need to know cargo capacity as it has to include the people, groceries, luggage.... and the tongue weight of the trailer.