Propane recall

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kdbgoat

Apparently there is some propane that has been distributed without enough odorant in it.

https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2018/Western-Gas-Recalls-to-Inspect-Propane-Gas-Due-To-Fire-and-Burn-Hazards

Oldgator73 said:
How would you know if you had any of this recalled gas?

It?s limited to five states and an 8 month period, which should give you some sense of whether you could be affected

As I read this, the only thing wrong with the propane is it would be difficult to know if you have a leak by the smell of the propane.  So if you have already used the propane, or will very shortly then no problem. 

If you filled your tank and then are storing the RV for winter, or filled your tank and have not used the propane by now, you should follow the instructions in the recall.

I have been given old propane tanks to use as compress air tanks, even after washing them out and purging them they still smell strongly of propane years after. Finally had to stop using one of them because others were scared of it. However burning them ( like a bbq grill ) seems to get rid of the smell.

What I am getting at is even if it was filled with odorless propane there would be enough residual odor to make a leak noticeable.

Agree with catblaster. It may be less stinky than it should be, but it's certainly not going to be odorless. However, the manufacturer has to make an official recall, since it's basically an illegal product if it doesn't meet the LP gas safety standard.

Ethyl Mercaptan is the chemical added to propane for the smell, IIRC 3 oz per 100,000 cubic feet. Worst smelling substance according to Wriggley?s. Used to be used in polystyrene plastic.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
Apparently nobody at Wriggly's has been around anything really evil-smelling.  Ethyl mercaptan is very noticeable, but hardly the worst.

IMHO there are many things that smell worse than the chemical in propane. Many I won?t mention here. Has anyone ever come across a sulphur water well. Smells like rotten eggs. Speaking of rotten. How about a rotten potato or onion in the pantry? Not to mention the bedroom after a big dinner consisting of lima beans.

Oldgator73 said:
IMHO there are many things that smell worse than the chemical in propane. Many I won?t mention here. Has anyone ever come across a sulphur water well. Smells like rotten eggs. Speaking of rotten. How about a rotten potato or onion in the pantry? Not to mention the bedroom after a big dinner consisting of lima beans.

or a big dead rat in the squirrel cage of your AC unit ....in the summertime, sitting in the sun, with the fan still running.

catblaster said:
or a big dead rat in the squirrel cage of your AC unit ....in the summertime, sitting in the sun, with the fan still running.

A couple weeks ago I went out to check the mail (quite a fete since I was two weeks Post knee replacement) and heard my AC short cycling. Checked and sure enough the fan was not coming on. Looked closer and saw a snake was wrapped around the fan shaft. Luckily my son was here so I had him remove the shroud and take the fan motor out. A snake had crawled in there and when the AC came on got wrapped on the shaft and was tied in a knot. Wasn?t there long enough to stink or do any harm to the motor.

As I think it was Gary who said that Propane. all by itself is oderless or so close to odorless you won't' smell it till it goes BOOM.  In fact I think this was a plot element in an episode of CSI Miami (may have been a different show).

The chemical he mentioned (Essence of Skunk if I recall correctly) is added so you can "Sniff" it out.

Unscented is sold for some industrial applications but it should never be sold to you or me.

Now if you "Top off" your tank with unsented. No harm done.  as you will have left over stink alreaedy there.

And yes. The heat of combustion.. "Denatures" the odorant.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom