Exterior Kitchen and Murphy Bed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Huckyducky

Would love to get opinions on how useful exterior kitchens are and how easy and worth any effort to raise up and lower down a Murphy bed is on a daily basis. We are in the upgrade phase for our 4 year old and 35,000 mile towed Rockwood MiniLite 2014S. Working on what we truly need vs what we think we would like. Happy New Year all wherever you are.

...on how useful exterior kitchens are...

To me, not at all. But there are some folks who swear by them. It's strictly a personal thing.

...how easy and worth any effort to raise up and lower down a Murphy bed is on a daily basis.

To me, it's not worth it, though in an especially small rig I might put up with it, but I much prefer the lack of hassle in having a dedicated bed that I can leave ready for use any time, preferably with walk around space, at least enough of it that DW and I can get in on separate sides, and enough that it's fairly easy to change the sheets for laundry, etc.

Again, it's a personal thing, since there are folks who'll deal with things just fine (even prefer) either way.

Our coach doesn't have an outdoor kitchen, but we mostly boondock, and most of our cooking ends up being done on an outdoor grill. For me, that's camping, but I don't need a full blown outdoor kitchen to do it, and I don't think I'd want to give up the storage space to have one. Some outdoor RV kitchens are pretty well equipped, with built in grills, fridges and sinks, but they do take up a fair amount of space.

Kev

DW and I didn't think we would want an outside kitchen, and thought they were just a waste of space. Now that we have one, it would be sorely missed.

We decided to save the weight and space of an outside kitchen. If we do cook outside, I just break out our small propane grill or the good old Coleman stove. We also have a small toaster oven that gets used both inside and out. It?s usually just the two of us though. If you are cooking for a bunch of folks, a dedicated outside kitchen might be worth having.

Thanks for the feedback. Anybody have a experience putting up the Murphy bed everyday? When we take long trips the exterior kitchen was not a consideration  -we were not spending time in the campground, but now will be staying for longish periods.

When you say Murphy bed, are you talking about the bed above the front seats that raise and lower?  If you are I don't think raising it and lowering it everyday would be any deal at all.  Leave it made all the time and just raise and lower it as you need.  I did this for 14 years and it was no problem.  I stripped the linen's once a week to wash and then remade the bed, no problem.  If you had to strip the linen's and fully remake it everyday that would be a totally different issue and for us a - No WAY!

Our outdoor kitchen is small. I like it but it's really a novelty. The stove is only good for small pans so we mostly use the Coleman grill. I would mostly miss the fridge if we did not have an outdoor kitchen.

We have an outdoor kitchen with a sink, fridge and two burner stove.  I do all the cooking on it.  Mostly breakfast stuff.  Dinners get cooked on the Smokey Joe charcoal grill.  I like cooking outside.  We would really miss the outdoor kitchen.  Getting drinks out of the outdoor fridge is very convenient too.

For us an outdoor kitchen would be more of a pain since many times I have had to change location of the stove and table to knock down the wind or smoke. Would prefer having the ability to move it where ever I need to put it even if it is in the back of the jeep.

Back
Top Bottom