GL-iNet 300M Router Problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Heli_av8tor

I just got this and want to tether to my Mobley. Upon powering for the first time I had wifi and could get to the UI. However, I was not successful getting connected to the Mobley and internet.

Now for some reason unknown to me the router is no longer sending wifi. The power light (only) is on. If I power up while holding the reset button the wifi light flashes 4 times then the center light comes on. Still no wifi and I can't connect with a LAN cable either.

If I cycle the power off and back on I'm back to just the power light.

I can't figure a way to get the UI to reload the firmware or get it to reset to the original configuration.

I don't know if I screwed something up or it just failed. I ordered another one in case I can't sort this out.

Any ideas?

I'm desperately trying to tie up a bunch of loose ends to escape this snowbelt. Got 6 more inches yesterday!

Tom

More than likely both the AT&T Mobley and your router have the same ip address: 192.168.1.1.  You will need to change one of them to something like 192.168.10.1 or something like that.

Thanks Bill,

Actually the GL-iNet router comes with the ip of 192.168.8.1.

However, at this point the router is not transmitting WiFi, nor can I see it through the LAN Ethernet connection. 

Thanks, Tom

On the router itself make sure it is broadcasting the "ssid."
On your device trying to connect on wifi, you can manually input your "ssid."
Also check to make sure it is broadcasting 2.4g and not just 5ghz..some older devices only support the 2.4g band.

Maybe directly connect with static ip (192.168.8.2) ?

https://www.gl-inet.com/docs/mini/ 

Well, I finally was able to log into the Uboot routine. I?m not sure what all I did to accomplish this.

These are the steps I remember:
Change my existing router address from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.2
Connect the network cable from a LAN port on my existing router to the WAN port on the GL-iNet router
Download firmware from gl-inept.com/firmware/mt300n-v2/clean/  I used 2.264
Hold reset button and power up. Held for about 12 seconds.
Log into router at 192.168.1.1  Even though router address is printed on unit as 192.168.8.1
Follow prompts to flash firmware.

After flashing the ssid  changed to LEDE. Logging back in required setting a user I?d and password. The UI looks nothing like the original. So I decided to try the firmware version 3 months older.
It?s still showing LEDE as the ssid.

Guess I?ll try some of the other versions to try to get back to original. So frustrating. Guess I?m in over my head. Looks like I need a remedial crash course to understand. 

Could any of you with this router log in to it and check the firmware version?

I still have not been able to find one that has the original UI

Thanks,
Tom

This is getting really old!

I finally have firmware installed that resembles the UI that I started with.
It appears that the Mobley is connecting to the router, but there is no internet access.

Here's a screen shot of the internet setup page. Gotta think that there's a setting that isn't right.

Tom

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    87.8 KB · Views: 20
What are you using for a gateway?  Is the Mobley IP what is shown as the gateway?  If so, the DNS may have to be set to the same as the gateway IP.

It looks like you are getting close now that you have the non "clean" version of the firmware installed

Click on the globe, and select 3G/4G at the top in the tab that opens, it looks like you now have cable selected,  then pick USA for country, and AT&T for provider and see if that works.

Ike

I sent an email to GL-iNet. Alfie Zhao said my firmware is too old and upgrade to 2.264.
I upgraded to: lede-mt300n-v2-2.264.bin
Still no internet. Below are two screen-prints of the setup.

Molaker said:
What are you using for a gateway?  Is the Mobley IP what is shown as the gateway?  If so, the DNS may have to be set to the same as the gateway IP.

I don't know what Gateway means. The Gateway on the GL-iNet shows 10.64.64.64 and the DNS is 192.168.1.1. The DNS on the Mobley is set to AUTO. I can't find Gateway anyplace in the Mobley UI.

Isaac-1 said:
It looks like you are getting close now that you have the non "clean" version of the firmware installed

What is "clean" vs. non-clean versions?

Isaac-1 said:
Click on the globe, and select 3G/4G at the top in the tab that opens, it looks like you now have cable selected,  then pick USA for country, and AT&T for provider and see if that works.

Ike
That's what I did the first time and again now that the version is upgraded. The Internet Status page shows Cable as Not Connected and the Modem as Connected.

On the Internet Settings page once the Region was set to USA all the other fields were auto populated.

You are right in that I have to be very close...

Attachments

• Capture2.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    86.6 KB · Views: 10
  • Capture3.JPG
    Capture3.JPG
    77.6 KB · Views: 10
I will be out at my coach in a couple of hours and will try to check the settings on mine and compare to the screen shots you have posted.

I think you may have the wrong TTY device connection, I know 2 or 3 show up, you might try selecting the others and see if that solves the problem.

Ah, I think I see part of your issue, the mobley does not distribute DNS over the USB connection, you must set it manually, try using googles free dns service at 8.8.8.8

p.s. the firmware clean / non-clean version has to do with the GPL open source license under which the firmware was developed, the non clean version mixes GL iNet's proprietary code with the open source code, the clean version removes this for people that want to build their own custom implementation and distribute it.  The main proprietary thing in the non-clean firmware is the easy to use tab based setup for 3G/4G modems that you need here.  They can be set up in the clean version, but require manually editing text files, etc.

Ike,

Just tried the other two options with no joy.

Just tried changing the DNS to use 8.8.8.8 and it has come to life!

Speed is a little slow, but it is working. Three tests have shown  5.57, 6.60, and 9.27

Thanks to all who tried to help me with this.

Tom

It seems to always be just one little thing, the hard part is finding which one little thing it is.

I've diagnosed and troubleshot electronics from tube through LSI microprocessor circuits along with  mechanical problems all my life.

I just get so frustrated when I don't have the knowledge base to work from.

Thanks again,

Tom

Back
Top Bottom