Installed Washer/Dryer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ClickHill

We traded in our 2015 Itasca Suncruiser, which had a full size stackable washer/dryer for a 2015 Itasca Meridian which did not.  Both had the same cabinet for the washer/dryer but on the Meridian since it didn't have the washer/dryer Winnebago had configured it to be a pantry.  My wife really liked having the washer/dryer so I removed them from the Suncruiser before we traded it in and I finished off the cabinet as a pantry.  The Meridian said it was "prepped" for a washer dryer.  Well that is a little misleading but not entirely untrue.  I removed the back wall in the Meridian in the pantry and what I found was a capped water drain for the washer and a circle on the wall where I had to drill a hole to install the dryer vent.

Later I found a hot and cold water stub out in the bedroom along with two power outlets next to them - yes in the bedroom.

I installed a PEX hot and cold water washer connection in the cabinet in the bedroom, which was a little tricky just because of the limited room to try to use the PEX clamp.  I cut off the cap on the drain line and installed a 12" extension because the little stub they "prepped" it with was only 3" which was no where near long enough to accommodate the drain hose from the washer.  Next I had to extend the closet floor back 3" to give me the room I wanted for the washer.  The floor space would have worked but the washer and dryer would have had NO room between their fronts and the closet doors when closed.  Moving them back 3" is much nicer but wasn't necessary.  Now the scariest part - I had to drill a 4" hole for the dryer vent through the interior wall and insulation, this also gave me a pilot hole from the outside to drill through the exterior wall from the outside to the inside so I wouldn't fracture the fiberglass exterior wall if I had just continued my drill from the inside out.  After drilling the inside hole I taped up the outside wall around the pilot hole and using my cordless on a low speed I drilled the outside hole through the fiberglass - VERY scary.  It worked great!!!  I installed the dryer vent with the clapper and then the chrome vent cover.  Now I went back inside and installed the floor brackets for the washer and installed the washer running the water lines from the washer to the new connections and the power cord to the outlet.  Next I had to install the shelf above the washer that the dryer will sit on.  After I installed the shelf I installed the dryer, connected the dryer vent hose to the newly installed vent clapper and again ran the power cord to the other outlet. - Done deal, or so I thought.

A couple days later when my wife and I were on our morning walk it occurred to me that I never connected the water lines to the back of the washer - damn it.  If this was true it means I have to disconnect the dryer and completely remove it so I can get to the back of the washer to connect the water lines.  After looking at the washer and dryer and confirming there is no way to even see the water lines on the back of the washer I decide to remove the dryer and check if I did or did not connect the water lines - I did not. Details, details, details but thank goodness I realized it before it was used.  I made the connection and reinstalled the dryer - now its a done deal.  All in all it was a pretty easy project.

Yeah, we wouldn't want to be without our stackable washer and dryer either, so I understand the effort. Sounds like quite a project - one that others might find helpful if they're considering doing something similar. Did you take any pictures along the way? It would be neat to see them posted here if you did.

Kev

Kev,

I didn't take any pictures, it really didn't occur to me that I was going to post about the project.  I do wish I had because I think if someone was thinking about installing a washer/dryer but were on he fence about doing it, after seeing photos of what it takes they would do it with no problem.

I find this very informative!  Our camper has W/D Prep.  The pipes are in a bedroom closet, about 2 1/2 ft high, on the side wall.  I guess this is a dream setup?  Thanks for encouraging words!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opal6502
Back
Top Bottom