CRV toad question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GaryA

Have a 06 CRV and put a class 3 receiver hitch on it with my intention being to install a Mobility Scooter Lift.  Weight of lift and scooter right at 300#.  Discovered that the UNIBODY frame will not support the weight.  Anyone know how to reinforce the unibody?  2 different body shops said they weren't interested in doing it.

It's not just the total weight I would be concerned about. That 300# load would create a significant torque which would work to reduce the front axle load and to increase the load on the rear axle.  I doubt that the rear axle load would exceed limits, especially if there were no second row occupants, but I would be concerned that the reduced load on the front axle could adversely effect handling and traction, particularly in wet weather.  You'd be moving the center of mass of the vehicle towards the rear and making it tail-heavy.  Just the sort of conditions that could result in the rear end spinning out.

I mostly agree with docj on this.  That much weight and inertia that far behind the read axle is likely to swing the tail end of the car  all over the place at the worst possible time.  CRVs are pretty neutral weight distribution wise and this would mess it up big time.  It's just not built for towing.

My Element had a hitch on it and the max tongue weight was 150 lbs.  I never used it.

Thanks, gentlemen.  I'll probably look to putting heavier shock on the rear or enhance the ones already on the car to give a stiffer suspension.  Now, any ideas on the hitch to unibody strengthening?

Shops probably won't touch it because of liability issues. Maybe trade the CRV for a heavier vehicle that's still four-down towing like an Explorer.

Shocks don't provide lift - they are just a anti-bounce dampener. Some shocks also have helper springs, though.

However, I don't think rear suspension capacity is the concern (which the others have already advised). There is no place strong enough to support 300 lbs of hitch weight, plus the shear physics of hanging 300 lbs on a lever off the back end. Gotta lift the front axle and substantially affect the weight balance, thus altering steerability.

You would be far better off getting one of the portable mobility scooters, something like the GoGo Elite Traveler. It comes apart easily (takes maybe 15 seconds) and the pieces fit easily in the back of a small SUV.
http://www.progressmobility.com/go-go-elite-traveler-4-wheel-mobility-scooter.html

Thanks everyone.  I see light, front wheel drive vehicles with the lift on the back but it must be that they are taking some risks.  The CRV is a perfect toad so I'm trying to make is work all around.  Back to the drawing board.  If I could determine  a lightweight, automatic, toad replacement, I would consider that.  Thanks, again.

I've not seen any small SUVs with a 300 lb scooter on the back.  Most mobility scooters are much lighter than that.  Full size scooters rarely exceed 150 lbs and "travel" scooters (portables) are typically around 100 lbs total, with the heaviest component (disassembled) at 25-40 lbs. I think the CRV can handle that without the concerns previously mentioned. However, getting a hitch shop to install a Class III is still going to be problematic, since you might go home and hook up a 20 ft travel trailer instead of that scooter ramp.

Perhaps a shop that deals with mobility mods for vehicles has experience installing a Class III receiver for a lift [only] and the willingness to do so.  They probably have some sort of legal release form where you agree not to tow a trailer with it.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
However, getting a hitch shop to install a Class III is still going to be problematic, since you might go home and hook up a 20 ft travel trailer instead of that scooter ramp.

FWIW I have a Class III receiver on my 2014 CR-V (just to have a bit more options than a smaller receiver would provide) and no one ever asked me why I wanted to do it.  It is a Draw-Tite receiver that was purchased from eTrailer.com

Great!  Perhaps one of the ever-more-rare shops that haven't been sued by some idiot yet.  Let GaryA know who installed it for you and maybe he can go there.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
Great!  Perhaps one of the ever-more-rare shops that haven't been sued by some idiot yet.  Let GaryA know who installed it for you and maybe he can go there.

The work was done by CCRV in Corpus Christi TX back in 2014 when they were setting the vehicle up to be a toad.  At the time we had a heavy bike rack which I felt was more secure with the 2" receiver even though it could have been used with the 1.25" one also.

I've already got the class III receiver installed.  The scooter with the lift, COMBINED, will weight 280#.  I am wanting to reinforce the installation because it is not recommended to put more than 150# tongue weight on the hitch because of the unibody frame. 

Well, Gary, I am one of those who installed a Class III hitch in my Patriot.  I bought it from etrailer and installed in a couple hours. But I only used it for a bikes and to move the dolly (nothing on it)  from one place to another.  Anything heavier would be a problem.  I agree with you that GoGo Elite Traveler is a good alternative.  I don't think there is anything that can be done safely to increase the payload of these small SUV.

Gary, as much as I dislike them, why not buy a trailer that would have room on it for the scooter and the CRV, then you could have both with you behind your motorhome. The CRV is somewhere around 4200 to 4400 lbs. I bet about a 10-12' trailer might fit your needs.

Bill

billwild said:
Gary, as much as I dislike them, why not buy a trailer that would have room on it for the scooter and the CRV, then you could have both with you behind your motorhome. The CRV is somewhere around 4200 to 4400 lbs. I bet about a 10-12' trailer might fit your needs.

Bill
  Good idea but I want to take the scooter and lift with us while in the CRV,

Thanks for all the suggestions and ideas.  Looks like I might need to consider other Toad options.  Hard to find lightweight and automatic transmission that will support the 300# tongue weight.  Thanks, again.

GaryA said:
Thanks for all the suggestions and ideas.  Looks like I might need to consider other Toad options.  Hard to find lightweight and automatic transmission that will support the 300# tongue weight.  Thanks, again.

An alternative is to carry the load inside the bed of a medium sized pickup truck.  For example, Remco says that the 4x4 version of the Chevy Colorado with an auto transmission can be towed 4-down with any of its engine options.  A friend of mine, who is dependent on a scooter for mobility, had a powered lift installed in the bed of his truck which electrically lifts his scooter and swings it into the truck's bed.  That way the load isn't cantilevered off the back of the toad.

I realize this limits your passenger carrying ability but it would meed your other needs.

Back
Top Bottom