EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Backing Up, Hooking UP  (Read 570 times)

ziplock

• ---
Backing Up, Hooking UP
« on: December 31, 2017, 12:41:46 PM »
Hubby and I are new to  camping,

and we are sitting  here  chatting,

and decided the most entertaining thing about camping at a campground is watching the person that is directing the driver to BACK up to HOOK UP to the trailer.

They WAVE  and  PUSH BACK,  And Want You to COME backward and then  forward.

Who has some fun videos to share for New  Year's Eve  Entertainment?

Waving at everyone!
2018 Chateau 22r New  to  This! May 2017
Wish we were retired!

Oldgator73

• ---
Re: Backing Up, Hooking UP
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2017, 02:32:49 PM »
I don't have videos but have marveled at how bad some folks are at backing their RV into a spot. The two way radio thing is kind of funny too. I've seen couples almost get into fisticuffs trying to get their trailer in the spot. When I was in the military we were required to have backers or what we called spotters. When we get to our spot at the CG the wife and grandkids usually go check out the area while I back in and get set up.
Retired Air Force
2016 Winnie Drop
2016 Nissan Frontier

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2017, 03:27:30 PM »
It's not just the hilarious ones, though I've enjoyed watching many.   Getting the signals right - and consistent - is also a safety concern, both for the RV and the signaler. A couple times each year some RVer, too often a wife, gets run over due to misunderstood signals or just plain frustration.  A fellow named Ron Jones has put together a number of thoughtful pieces on RVing topics and he has a air of videos that show good technique and a standardized set of instructions that most people will recognize. Whether they use them or not. Ron has a website called AboutRVing.com, but his backing signals videos are on Youtube as well. Suggested viewing for everybody.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_68jWvHw15w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BrzJTHtB1k
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

ziplock

• ---
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2017, 03:41:37 PM »
My favorite line  when hubby is BACKING into a spot is:

That doesn't suit me, can you pull up and get over here  one more inch?

Well, now it's just a joke but  that  day, I was serious!
Wish we were retired!

Oldgator73

• ---
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2017, 04:27:33 PM »
There are standard signals for the spotter to use and the spotter needs to know where to stand. In the Air Force we had signals for a spotter, signals used for spotting a crane, forklift, helicopter, just about anything. I always look at the spot I am backing into and envision where I want the door, the sewer, water, etc. I found it was easier backing our 37' 5th wheel than our 17' TT.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 04:32:04 PM by Oldgator73 »
Retired Air Force
2016 Winnie Drop
2016 Nissan Frontier

catblaster

• ---
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2017, 06:27:33 PM »
  The irritation and possibility of harsh words and bad feelings is just not worth hassling over. Jane watches and directs me while I back up usually disregarding the finger pointing and simulated wheel turning, but if the arms start flailing and I see the palms of her hands up in the air I pay more attention. When and if something goes wrong i will just suck it up and take the blame.  She is helping and keeping me from doing damage so I dont want to make angry the only help I have.
Will and Jane
95 Winnebago Luxor

edjunior

• ---
  • Roman Forest, TX
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2017, 06:40:07 PM »
I have long since given up on signals from the wife...except one.  When she starts jumping up and down and screaming at me to stop, I stop.  Otherwise I will go back and forth as many times as it takes until I get the camper in where ever it is we are.  I love my wife to death, but figured out after a few times that the whole signal thing just doesn't work.  Just stop me from running the camper off into a ditch, or smacking a tree, and I'll do the rest.  If I have to get cramps in my legs from getting in and out of the truck, I will.  Just don't let me run the camper in a ditch or tree (or other awbstackle).
Ed.....KF5INW
2011 F-250 XLT, 6.7L PSD
2010 Forest River Wildcat 28RKBS
"I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!"

Rene T

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Every day is a payday and every payday I have off
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2017, 06:55:06 PM »
My favorite line  when hubby is BACKING into a spot is:

That doesn't suit me, can you pull up and get over here  one more inch?

Well, now it's just a joke but  that  day, I was serious!

Or she says, "Go ahead, back up" "Go ahead, backup".
Rene, Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

ziplock

• ---
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2017, 07:09:13 PM »
"I have long since given up on signals from the wife...except one.  When she starts jumping up and down and screaming at me to stop, I stop. "

Yeah! Stop!  hahha
Wish we were retired!

malexander

• ---
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2017, 07:54:55 PM »
My wife IS the spotter.
When we get to the site, we both get out and look it over, decide where we want the MH. 
As I've said MANY times, she knows that if she can't see me in my mirror, I can't see her. She points to the direction the tail needs to go. She knows that I know which way to turn the wheel. She & I, or my brother & I can park/back anything into any location that it will fit, usually without saying a word to each other. Even if it means backing around a corner. You just have to go slow, and pay attention to each other.
Marshall Alexander
2007 Fleetwood Bounder 38N DP, 2008 GL 1800 Goldwing, 2007 VTX 1300, Cessna 150 & 172, Rans S19 Venterra

JudyJB

• ---
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2017, 10:13:33 PM »
My cousin has a big boat.  He says when he can no longer launch or drive his boat, he is going to spend his days on a lawn chair with a cooler nearby watching people launch their boats. 
Full-timing for over five years in a
2012 Fleetwood Tioga Ranger 31N

kjansen

• ---
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2018, 09:05:26 AM »
Happy Hour means it's 5pm, your rig is parked, you have a beverage and a lawn chair, the the entertainment of other campers are starting to back their rigs into the campsites is just starting.  Actually the shorter the camper, the harder to back.  Once a minivan and a 10' popup was good for   30 minutes worth of viewing.  It took me two beers however to watch that one.
Keven Jansen
'06 Chevy 2500 Duramax
'02 Montana Big Sky
Alexandria, Mn

Hosted by Over The Network