Backing Up, Hooking UP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ziplock

Hubby and I are new to  camping,

and we are sitting  here  chatting,

and decided the most entertaining thing about camping at a campground is watching the person that is directing the driver to BACK up to HOOK UP to the trailer.

They WAVE  and  PUSH BACK,  And Want You to COME backward and then  forward.

Who has some fun videos to share for New  Year's Eve  Entertainment?

Waving at everyone!

I don't have videos but have marveled at how bad some folks are at backing their RV into a spot. The two way radio thing is kind of funny too. I've seen couples almost get into fisticuffs trying to get their trailer in the spot. When I was in the military we were required to have backers or what we called spotters. When we get to our spot at the CG the wife and grandkids usually go check out the area while I back in and get set up.

It's not just the hilarious ones, though I've enjoyed watching many.  Getting the signals right - and consistent - is also a safety concern, both for the RV and the signaler. A couple times each year some RVer, too often a wife, gets run over due to misunderstood signals or just plain frustration.  A fellow named Ron Jones has put together a number of thoughtful pieces on RVing topics and he has a air of videos that show good technique and a standardized set of instructions that most people will recognize. Whether they use them or not. Ron has a website called AboutRVing.com, but his backing signals videos are on Youtube as well. Suggested viewing for everybody.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_68jWvHw15w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BrzJTHtB1k

My favorite line  when hubby is BACKING into a spot is:

That doesn't suit me, can you pull up and get over here  one more inch?

Well, now it's just a joke but  that  day, I was serious!

There are standard signals for the spotter to use and the spotter needs to know where to stand. In the Air Force we had signals for a spotter, signals used for spotting a crane, forklift, helicopter, just about anything. I always look at the spot I am backing into and envision where I want the door, the sewer, water, etc. I found it was easier backing our 37' 5th wheel than our 17' TT.

The irritation and possibility of harsh words and bad feelings is just not worth hassling over. Jane watches and directs me while I back up usually disregarding the finger pointing and simulated wheel turning, but if the arms start flailing and I see the palms of her hands up in the air I pay more attention. When and if something goes wrong i will just suck it up and take the blame.  She is helping and keeping me from doing damage so I dont want to make angry the only help I have.

I have long since given up on signals from the wife...except one.  When she starts jumping up and down and screaming at me to stop, I stop.  Otherwise I will go back and forth as many times as it takes until I get the camper in where ever it is we are.  I love my wife to death, but figured out after a few times that the whole signal thing just doesn't work.  Just stop me from running the camper off into a ditch, or smacking a tree, and I'll do the rest.  If I have to get cramps in my legs from getting in and out of the truck, I will.  Just don't let me run the camper in a ditch or tree (or other awbstackle).

ziplock said:
My favorite line  when hubby is BACKING into a spot is:

That doesn't suit me, can you pull up and get over here  one more inch?

Well, now it's just a joke but  that  day, I was serious!

Or she says, "Go ahead, back up" "Go ahead, backup".

"I have long since given up on signals from the wife...except one.  When she starts jumping up and down and screaming at me to stop, I stop. "

Yeah! Stop!  hahha

My wife IS the spotter.
When we get to the site, we both get out and look it over, decide where we want the MH. 
As I've said MANY times, she knows that if she can't see me in my mirror, I can't see her. She points to the direction the tail needs to go. She knows that I know which way to turn the wheel. She & I, or my brother & I can park/back anything into any location that it will fit, usually without saying a word to each other. Even if it means backing around a corner. You just have to go slow, and pay attention to each other.

My cousin has a big boat.  He says when he can no longer launch or drive his boat, he is going to spend his days on a lawn chair with a cooler nearby watching people launch their boats. 

Happy Hour means it's 5pm, your rig is parked, you have a beverage and a lawn chair, the the entertainment of other campers are starting to back their rigs into the campsites is just starting.  Actually the shorter the camper, the harder to back.  Once a minivan and a 10' popup was good for  30 minutes worth of viewing.  It took me two beers however to watch that one.

My wife is the worst spotter and that's why I installed two backup camera.  One that's low to view the trailer hitch ball and the other sits high on the roof line, to see what's really behind  :) .

My son in law backed my MH into/under the carport the other day. He had never even sat in the seat, let alone driven it, did excellent.
I showed him how the transmission worked, where and how to operate the parking brake, and a little about the air brakes. Told him to watch me, I'd point which direction I wanted the tail-end to go. I got out in front of the coach, gave him directions and he backed it around, off the street, onto the driveway, and about 120' down the driveway, which had a jog in it just before the carport and then into the hole.

Since I pretty much know the turn radius and the "center points" I could tell him how much and when to start his turns. He put it in the carport without even getting in the yard. :D

We used to have a 37', triple axle 5th wheel; piece of cake to back into anywhere. We now have a 17' TT. A little more difficult to get it just where I want it but still usually only takes one try. I have a small 1800lb dump trailer; not so easy to back up when it's hooked to my truck, virtually impossible when hooked to my lawn tractor.

The Mechanic who installed my replacement engine has a 8 (well now 9) year old son. I watched HIM (the son) back a trailer into a carport.. First class job. Do not believe either I or my professional Semi Driver brother could have done better.

Backing up is easy once you get over being scared.

That said. I'd still much rather back my Class A onto a site than a trailer.

As for hooking up.. Many options here.  They have spotter thigns. basically two magnets with poles attached. one goes on the  Tow Vehicle one on the trailer and when the balls "kiss" you are in position,.

When hooking up, I have no problem lining up using the mirrors and rarely need to pull forward.  However I do generally have to stop and get out to check how far to back up a couple times to put the ball exactly where I want it so I can drop the tongue to hook up.  Having said that, the backup camera on the truck I have now even eliminates that.  Practice is the key and the more you do it, the easier it gets.

When spotting the trailer, I pretty much do what Ed said and if there is anything I could possibly hit while backing in, I have Betty holler if I'm getting too close to something.  I never ask her to give me directions.  In 40+ years of RVing with her, we've never had much luck working together when I'm backing.  I'd rather do it myself and get out a look a time or two if needed.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom