Dual Tire Air Balance System. Pros & Cons

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AStravelers

If you are thinking adding a "Dual Tire Air Balance System" or are thinking of adding one, read the link below, info from a retired tire engineer.  Basically he doesn't think it is a good idea.

In case you don't know what the system is, it is a way to tie the both tires of your dually tires together so both tires have the same pressure.

http://www.rvtiresafety.net/2017/12/quick-post-on-dual-tire-air-balance.html

Thanks!  This article raises several good points.  A dual tire air balance is no replacement for a good TPMS.

I have Crossfires on my duals. I also have one tire pressure sensor on each set of duals. My monitor is set to alarm if the pressure drops 5 psi (from the 100 psi) I will get an alarm long before the pressure gets low enough for damage to happen.

I have a "Crossfire" system but have not been able to install it.....

On the trip South I blew a tire (inside dual) and had no issues getting to a safe place to replace.
WITH the crossfire instazlled.. i'm not sure I could hzave done that as the outer dual would also have suffered loss of air, only about 20-30 PSI but ... I'm not sure it would have survived that.

From Dual Dynamics,  mcg of Crossfire:

BLOWOUTS AND LEAKS

Crossfire has a safety feature that automatically isolates the ?good? tire in the event of a blowout. When a blowout occurs, the internal safety valve closes immediately with only a slight loss of pressure to the ?good? tire.

In slow leak situations, the valve isolates both tires after a pressure drop of approximately 10 P.S.I.

Since I posted the article, I have learned that the two popular dually tire pressure balancing systems, CrossFire & Cats Eye, limit the pressure loss in the good tire to about 10psi or 10%, not exactly sure which is correct. 

Still neither of the systems negate the need for a TPMS. 

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom