weight issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

laureltaylor

Hi there , I am REALLY new to Rving, like eight days and no road trips in yet.  I am starting by doing a total facelift and removing all the 1980's interior.  Here is my question: I see in the manual that it is very important not to overload the weight on the vehicle but can you be too light?  Having removed the carpet, cabinet doors, and all valances I have easily reduced her wight by 225 pounds.  Will it be too light?  Sorry if that is an idiotic question, but I got to thinking as I was carrying it all out and thinking about crosswinds while driving.
Thanks for any help you can give and hopefully meet you on the road soon!

There is no such think here as an idiotic question.  We all started out RV'ing without experience.  It is difficult to imagine that removing weight could hurt, especially such a small amount. 

To get a proper response on this forum I recommend that you first tell us what you are working with as an RV. You can well imagine that taking 225 lbs out of a pop-up camper is a bit different than taking the same weight out of a 40' diesel pusher.

Welcome to the Forum!

To quote my favorite college professor, "There is no such thing as a dumb question if you do not know the answer."

The short answer is NO!  Too much weight can be a big problem as it can overload tires, axles, springs, frames, etc.  I can not imagine too little weight causing any issues as long as you maintain at least 10% of the total weight on the hitch.  I suspect some of that weight MAY go back in with the remodel work.

Keep reading and keep asking questions!  It gives us something to do and keeps us off the streets.

Congrats on the purchase!  And what's wrong with the 1980's??  ;D

Tell us more about your rig and we can certainly help.  But I agree with Gordon that no, removing a couple hundred pounds will not hurt your RV in any way... and may actually help.  Even the smaller 1980's Class C motorhomes probably still weigh around 13,000 pounds (just an educated guess).  Weight limitations were not as closely followed when those rigs were built, and they were often rolling at/near their maximum capacities in terms of chassis, suspension, and tires.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom