Need Inverter Info - 2002 Adventurer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bill N

I have never had a need to use my inverter in my 2002 Adventurer 35U but I can see a need coming up next season.  I have a MVP 300 watt inverter.  I have been scanning through the Winnie electrical diagrams to find some details on the inverter but, for the 35U, I can find nothing regarding what outlets it feeds.  I did find what it feeds on the 37U which is mainly two outlets in the bedroom and that will be fine for me if that also applies to the 35U.

My inverter is in the front right overhead cabinet and I am hoping I have not messed anything up when I removed the old analog TV and have not yet installed the new digital.  The coach is in storage right now and besides the temp being about zero I am not too anxious to go over there until things warm up a bit.  I have found the Users Manual for the unit and it gives good info on the unit itself by nothing on the coach installation of course.

Can anybody with a coach and inverter unit similar to mine tell me which outlets in the coach it feeds for sure.  I know there is a TV outlet in the overhead right behind the inverter so I figure that would be one for sure.  Thanks for any help.

Bill

I am not sure if this helps since my Suncruiser is a little newer a a bit longer, but the Adventurer and Suncruiser are comparable models.  My coach has inverter power to each of the 3 indoor TVs as well as to one outlet beside the copilot.  I am not aware of any other outlets powered by my inverter.

Thanks Joel and Chris.  I had found one of those wiring pages in my wiring guide but I think what I need to do is do some testing in the coach when the weather warms up a bit.  Both of my TV wiring plug ins are located inside overhead cabinets and the unit I want to use (an oxygen concentrator) specifically warns against using an extension cord.  Another one of my problems is a laymans knowledge of reading the wiring diagrams.  For example a small blank square marked RCP is, I assumed, a receptacle but it appears that unless it has two straight lines across the box, that is not true.  Also next to the inverter on one of the pages is a small triangle with the number 5 inside.  No clue what that means.

But all that aside, I think it best for me to just go experiment with what is in the coach.  I appreciate your efforts to answer my question and those diagrams confirm that I did find the proper pages.  Have a great New Year.

Bill

An factory-installed inverter of that size is normally employed only to power entertainment center, i.e.  TV's, DVD and satellite receiver.  I seriously doubt if it is wired to any general use outlet.

I think you are being over-cautious about the extension cord, despite the manufacturer warning. They don't know what sort of cord you may use or how long, so their lawyers "just say no".  A typical home-use concentrator used anywhere from 120 to 600 watts, so the larger models may require a cord capable of 5 amps or so. That exceeds the usual 18 gauge household cord, but is easily handled by the heavier 16 or 14 gauge gauge types, even if 25 ft long. 

You need to check the owner spec on yours to make sure a 300W inverter can even handle it. You can always install a larger inverter, but you also need enough battery to power the inverter for as long as needed. If you have one of the larger model concentrators that need 500-600 watts,  you may come up short on that as well.

Bill N said:
...  Another one of my problems is a laymans knowledge of reading the wiring diagrams.  For example a small blank square marked RCP is, I assumed, a receptacle but it appears that unless it has two straight lines across the box, that is not true.  Also next to the inverter on one of the pages is a small triangle with the number 5 inside.  No clue what that means....

Take a look at Wiring Diagram Help -- that should help you to understand the diagrams.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
An factory-installed inverter of that size is normally employed only to power entertainment center, i.e.  TV's, DVD and satellite receiver.  I seriously doubt if it is wired to any general use outlet.

I think you are being over-cautious about the extension cord, despite the manufacturer warning. They don't know what sort of cord you may use or how long, so their lawyers "just say no".  A typical home-use concentrator used anywhere from 120 to 600 watts, so the larger models may require a cord capable of 5 amps or so. That exceeds the usual 18 gauge household cord, but is easily handled by the heavier 16 or 14 gauge gauge types, even if 25 ft long. 

You need to check the owner spec on yours to make sure a 300W inverter can even handle it. You can always install a larger inverter, but you also need enough battery to power the inverter for as long as needed. If you have one of the larger model concentrators that need 500-600 watts,  you may come up short on that as well.

Thanks Gary.  I think I knew that if I needed an extension cord it could be done with a somewhat heavier than normal cord but I also agree that this inverter is only designed to run the entertainment devices (TVs and VCR); hence the locations of the outlets are high up and located in cabinets where those devices plug in.  I haven't yet checked the concentrator but was told it was not a big power user and we have not noticed any big increases in the electric bill.  It and a tank filler located on top of it are both plugged into a duplex 15 amp receptacle right behind it.

At the moment I am not a 24 hr per day Oxy user so it may be possible just to go without when on the road or use the generator in a pinch.  I guess time will tell.  Thanks for the helpful info.

Bill

I think the original inverter would have been a Dimensions unit. Winnebago used them starting in 2002. MVP doesn't ring a bell with me. Has someone replaced the original one?
Winnebago published some tips about inverters of the era:

DIMENSIONS POWER INVERTER
INVERTERS

Also realize that a 300 watt inverter supplies 2.5 amps (@ 120 volts), no where near what you regular 15 amp outlet provides. Something that isn't a "big power user" at home, may still draw more than 300 watts.

(And you found the right diagram with the "5" notation. That shows the front TV is plugged directly into the inverter, and that it's hard wired to the rear TV receptacle. The key to the notes is in the lower left, "5" references the installation diagram linked above.)

Great info on that 300 watt inverter.  I have the users manual that the OP gave me when I purchased the coach and it does not appear to be a replacement inverter (it is buried below the BOMB (box of many buttons) but I can't really see it.  The Users manual says MVP and this a very early 2002 (Jan 02) model so if they used Dimensions brand, it may have been later in the run.  In any case the info you provided have convinced me that I don't want to trust it to run an oxygen concentrator.  If I really need it on the road, I can always run the generator.  Never have used the TV while in motion so that pretty much makes the inverter once again an unused piece of equipment.

By the way, I saved that Dimensions Inverter Service Tip link you sent and it came out titled:  2003-2004 Inverters, so perhaps it did not apply to the 2002 Adventurer after all.  But I am sure the description of capacities is the same.

Thanks to all who provided info on the inverter.  I learned a  lot from this exercise and didn't even have to get into sine waves which would have really floored me............lol

Happy 2018 all.

Bill

John Hilley said:
Only how to turn it on and off on page 8-20. The parts catalog probably lists it.

I just checked the parts diagram and parts layout sites and the only listing is for Inverter 300 watt - no specific brand is listed.  I think they kept it generic so they could change brands if need be.

Bill

cbeierl said:
The 2002 Adventurer 35U Parts catalog lists

099048-04-000 EA INVERTER - 300 WATT

If you take a look on page 79 of the R.V. Parts and Accessories Catalog you'll see that that part number corresponds to the Dimensions 300 Watt inverter.

I see that but I cannot verify anything because the coach is in storage a few miles away and at 2 below zero I think I will let it stay there for a bit but the user manual I have clearly states MVP 300 watt inverter and the service tips sheet mentioned earlier states in the intro that several models of inverters were used.  From what I can see of the Dimensions face it does look similar to what I have but it is all rather academic now as it may be a few weeks before I get to check it out closely.  I appreciate all of the help provided.

Bill

I doubt if it is significant whether the inverter is MVP or Dimensions. It's a small (300 watt), modified sine model in either case and that's what you need to know. Either one of those items may disqualify it for use with your concentrator.

There are portable (battery) concentrators available and they are lower power and usually have AC adapters. They would work on 300W. And you can add another small 300W-500W inverter to your coach for $50 or so plus wiring (DIY). Then run a power cord to a convenient location inside.

Searching, I can't find any reference to a MVP inverter. I know that the Winnebago Surplus Store had 130 watt and 300 watt Dimensions inverters around 2005.

Bill, you might as well be in North Dakota, about 7F above here now. John Evans called yesterday, he is in South Carolina and it is a cold 39F and he plugged in too many electric heaters and tripped the breaker in his inverter and didn't know it had one. Told him where it was and now he and Helen should survive.

John Hilley said:
Searching, I can't find any reference to a MVP inverter. I know that the Winnebago Surplus Store had 130 watt and 300 watt Dimensions inverters around 2005.

Bill, you might as well be in North Dakota, about 7F above here now.  John Evans called yesterday, he is in South Carolina and it is a cold 39F and he plugged in too many electric heaters and tripped the breaker in his inverter and didn't know it had one. Told him where it was and now he and Helen should survive.
The Users Manual says this is made by the Shin Fu Co. of America, Inc., Kansas City, Mo 64153  but in the warranty description it says Made and Printed in China.  The specs pretty well line up with those I read on Dimensions - they call this a modified sine wave.  In any case it will not work for me and the concentrator.

Sounds like  a heat wave in N.Dak John.  We are only 8F above at noon and have been -2 for the last two nights. That is unheard of in Missouri.  John must have a pretty beefy inverter if it even tried to fire up a elect heater.  Those things are 1500 watts so I guess his coach had a much larger one than mine.  Hang in there and Happy New Year.

Bill N said:
The Users Manual says this is made by the Shin Fu Co. of America, Inc., Kansas City, Mo 64153  but in the warranty description it says Made and Printed in China.  The specs pretty well line up with those I read on Dimensions - they call this a modified sine wave.  In any case it will not work for me and the concentrator.

Sounds like  a heat wave in N.Dak John.  We are only 8F above at noon and have been -2 for the last two nights. That is unheard of in Missouri.  John must have a pretty beefy inverter if it even tried to fire up a elect heater.  Those things are 1500 watts so I guess his coach had a much larger one than mine.  Hang in there and Happy New Year.

It is a 2,000 watt Dimensions Inverter/Charger. Not all circuits are powered by the inverter, but main power passes through the built in transfer switch. That -2F probably feels colder to you than the -22F felt to us.

John Hilley said:
It is a 2,000 watt Dimensions Inverter/Charger. Not all circuits are powered by the inverter, but main power passes through the built in transfer switch. That -2F probably feels colder to you than the -22F felt to us.

Yep, 10 years in Missouri and Arkansas has thinned out the alligator skin I had after 35 years in the Dakota's but I still miss our 'little house on the  prairie.'

Bill

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awiltzius
Back
Top Bottom