Route from San Diego (CA) to Sedona (AZ)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

resucami

Hello Forum,

I'm flying on Wednesday to San Diego to look at an RV which I then hopefully will buy - and use to get back to Sedona, Arizona. If this happens it will be my very first RV trip. Happy New Year!

From San Diego to Sedona are 460 miles. I'm sure I will not be able to drive this distance in one day, especially not if I'm starting my trip probably not before 3 pm. I hope I can do it in 2 days - first day San Diego to Ehrenberg or Quartzsite, second day back home to Sedona. Is that realistic?

If I get the feeling that I should not drive all the way to Ehrenberg on the first day, where could I best stop for the night? I guess the best route from San Diego to Ehrenberg is taking the I-8 to El Centro and then the SR 111 or SR 115 and finally the SR 78 to Ehrenberg. Does that sound ok?

Several months of research and looking and test driving might come to an end on Wednesday. Or not, if I don't like the vehicle. We will see.

I would be happy and greatful if I could get some tips for the trip back to Sedona here. Thanks.

Nick

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Are you buying privately or from a dealer? If from a dealer and you have warranty cover you may want to stay somewhere close to dealer and get any snagging completed before heading home.

Also you will need to have a thorough check of everything, particularly look for signs of a leak, many regions had flooding and severe storms,  so buyer beware.

Good luck and safe travels.

I would take I-8 to Yuma then US-95 up to Quartzsite.  About 240 miles depending on where in San Diego you start.  For a place to spend the night, as you drive up US-95 toward Quartzsite, at about MM76, for the next 20 miles, start looking for RV's parked out in the desert.  Pull off toward the RV's and find an open level spot to park for the night.  If you are going to use your generator, stay at least 1/4 mile from other RV's.  Many of the RV'ers out here don't use generators and really resent someone parking within a couple of hundred yards from them and cranking up a generator. 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davestic
Back
Top Bottom