Couple newbie questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BigT

I will try to keep this short but I may be taking a job traveling and working 13 week contracts. Meaning I will be moving every 13 weeks from state to state. After doing a very little bit of research I am considering buying a fifth wheel trailer  to live in along with a new truck. I would like to keep the truck and trailer as small as possible but still be livable. Is this possible to do on your own, especially someone with very little knowledge about fifth wheels and trailers in general? This would not be for at least 8 months but I want to start thinking about this to see if it would be worth pursuing. Any advice?

Hi and welcome to the forum! Check out our library and resources sections or use the search function for specifics.  Ask any questions you need to.

I would say yes. We have a travel trailer and it doesn't take you long to get up to speed with things. As long as you are aware of requirements for cold weather I'm sure you would be fine. We have seen lots of people living in them and working close by.

Others will be along with 5th wheel suggestions and other advice.

If you want a fifth wheel you will need a very big truck. Half tons just won't cut it. You might be better off paying to have it moved rather than buying a truck.

Jackie and Tom have good comments, but basically since you'll move every quarter, unless you know that you'll be in the south every winter, you need to consider that places like Minnesota get temperatures (and often snow) that can be rough to deal with in an RV, but otherwise yes, it's quite doable, and you have plenty of time to figure things out. So if a 3/4 ton (or bigger) pickup is OK as your daily driver, you'll probably do fine.

Everyone handles situations differently.  What you are thinking can be done, but I would be looking at a 3/4 ton and a 5er in the 30 foot range for  sure.  In something that size you have plenty of room and won't feel quite so cramped.  As Larry said, stay out of the north country in the winter.  Although this winter has been colder almost everywhere at some point.  Try to stay in the southern 1/3 of the US if possible.  The last few days in Minnesota have  been anywhere from -20 to -30 degrees.

Thanks for the info everyone. Thankfully I get to choose my location so I will definitely stay southern during winter (currently in AZ and it has been mid 70?s this week 8) ) I have been looking at something like 2018 KZ RV SPORTSMEN ? 231RK which is 24ft long, GVW 6140lbs. Not this exact model, don?t plan on buying new due to deprecation, but something of similar size/weight/floor plan. With something of this size would a half ton still be out of the question? I have been looking at F 150?s.

There are VERY few small 5th wheel models that are suitable for an F150, especially older ones. These trucks just don't have the carrying capacity which is normally required,  20% of the trailer's GVWR + hitch ++.

Thankfully I get to choose my location so I will definitely stay southern during winter (currently in AZ and it has been mid 70?s this week 8) )

Well, it's 33 this morning in central Florida and unlikely to reach the 50's during the daytime for several days. Sometimes Mother Nature doesn't follow the play book...

Yeah, I've been looking at the temps across the country. It seems like one has to go to somewhere around Miami or so to stay warm. It's weird, because if you look at the global temp maps, the rest of the world is a bit warmer. Maybe I'm going to have to put an RV somewhere over seas to winter in when I retire. ;D

Back
Top Bottom