Florida Keys after Irma

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hooksters

Planning our first trip with our new RV (Forest River FR3).  We have rented a couple times in the past, so not quite newbies but far from experienced  ;)

Anyway, I am targeting Florida Keys (from northern Illinois) during our Son's spring break the week before Easter, and bringing along my Dad, as he and mom were planning on visiting the Keys just before she passed, and never made it yet.

Doing some research, shows quite a few parks rebuilding yet after Irma, and none that I found yet are taking any reservations for late March.

Does anyone have current information on parks in the Keys, and the general shape of the Florida Keys?
Is it too risky to just go there and find something without reservations?
Is it too early to plan a trip there in March, post Hurricane Irma?

Hoping for some beach time, snorkeling, and maybe rental of some water craft fun..
(And of course some GeoCaching)

Thanks,
The Hooksters.

Irma was a major hurricane that hit the Keys directly. This year would be a very poor time to visit the Keys. I recommend finding a different destination for this summer. The mosquitoes become insane after March anyway so it is a poor time to be there.

Even before Irma, finding RV sites in the Keys in March was very difficult.  The year went it was the first week in April.  I had been trying on line for close to 3 months in the hope that a cancellation would open up.  Finally, the last week in March one did at a State Park in Marathon.  So, I would not try going there without reservations ass there is NO place that you can boondock if you cannot find a place.
    Plus, as Tom said, this likely isn't the year to visit, from press reports, they are still undergoing major reconstruction due to hurricane damage, if I remember correctly over a third of the buildings suffered major damage.  There are plenty of excellent places to visit throughout Florida and March is great weatherwise anywhere in Florida, so why go and potentially be disappointed.

Ed

We left the Keys yesterday, spent the last 12 days at Boyds in Key West. There are still many campgrounds not up and running yet. Id start calling everyone of them along the coast.  There is a lot of clean up going on. We chartered a boat around Geiger key area and our Capt said it will take up to one year for the water to settle back to normal Key West water. With that being said, it was still beautiful and we had an amazing time.  The Bahia campground is half open not sure of the the other state campgrounds.  Again, I suggest calling or emailing them all to hopefully find a spot. Even if you have to move once its worth it.

Thanks mccarrickfamily, welcome to the forum.  There is nothing like current first hand knowledge.

Ed

If you don't have prior reservations I wouldn't try it.
Our park which was hit pretty bad with a five foot storm surge has the sites that don't need repairs booked solid for the season.
Many of the other parks are the same.

The off shore Atlantic waters at the reefs are good and clear, but most of the near shore waters especially in the sounds on the Florida Bay side are cloudy.
The canoe/kayak trails in John Pennekamp State park which are normally as clear as drinking water are terrible and you can't even see the bottom. Largo sound is the same. We have been here since the storm, and they haven't changed yet.
As much as I like to brag about the beauty of the Keys, I think you would be better off on some of the nice sandy wide open beaches farther north for this season.

Jack L

Back
Top Bottom