EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: sanitizing the tank---how to get water and bleach in???  (Read 4530 times)

julies67

sanitizing the tank---how to get water and bleach in???
« on: May 21, 2007, 05:23:23 PM »
Hello----we have no access to the fresh water tank other than through the city/fill valve.  We want to put a disinfecting solution in and are wondering how.  Do we need a water pump and where would we get one?  Not too familiar with the process and we're going to the campground for Memorial Day weekend.  Any help or advice would be apprciated.   Thank you thank you thank you!!!     jules

Ron

• Former Staff
  • ---
Re: sanitizing the tank---how to get water and bleach in???
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2007, 05:45:16 PM »
When we add chlorine to the fresh water tank to disinfect we just poor the required amount into the empty hose then connect to the water and fill the tank.  Has worked for us for several years.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2007, 07:38:24 PM by Ron »
Ron & Sam-home is where we park it. Currently located   HERE

Carl L

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2007, 06:09:30 PM »
Empty the tank, heater and accumulator.   Take an empty 1 gallon bleach or water bottle and half fill with water.  Add the required amount of plain bleach -- 3/4 cup for a 40 gallon tank.   Fill the bottle the rest of the way with water.   Pour the mixture into the fresh water tank fill port.   Fill the tank with water full.   Operate the water pump to fill the accumulator and the water heater.   Turn on the hot and cold water faucets to move the bleach solution into the lines.

Fill the tank again to top it off and allow it to sit for several hours.

At the end of the several hours, drain the tank, accumulator, and water heater.   Refill with fresh water.  Run the pump to fill accumulator and heater and open the faucet to purge the bleach out of the lines.   Top off tank again and you are done.
Carl L/LA   [Forum Staff]  KI6SEZ

Prowler 23LV TT pulled by a '95 Ford Bronco

julies67

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2007, 07:17:44 PM »
Empty the tank, heater and accumulator.   Take an empty 1 gallon bleach or water bottle and half fill with water.  Add the required amount of plain bleach -- 3/4 cup for a 40 gallon tank.   Fill the bottle the rest of the way with water.   Pour the mixture into the fresh water tank fill port.   Fill the tank with water full.   Operate the water pump to fill the accumulator and the water heater.   Turn on the hot and cold water faucets to move the bleach solution into the lines.

Fill the tank again to top it off and allow it to sit for several hours.

At the end of the several hours, drain the tank, accumulator, and water heater.   Refill with fresh water.  Run the pump to fill accumulator and heater and open the faucet to purge the bleach out of the lines.   Top off tank again and you are done.

thanks for replying----but our whole problem resvolves around the fact that we don't have a tank fill port??  we need to forcefully get the bleach into the tank....

Shayne

• ---
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2007, 07:36:55 PM »
Use a flex funnel for inserting the mix and then use your RV White Water hose run it thru afilter and fill the RV.  That's what I do with My MH and do it all the time.  Or you can make an adaptor to fit on the end of the hose to enter the RV fill.
Old, Stubborn, Opinionated, Set in my Ways, and Independent,  IMHO

ArdraF

• ---
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2007, 07:37:45 PM »
Hmmm.  It seems you have a city water hose connection.  Take your almost-empty (or even empty) hose and carefully put the bleach in it, then attach it to the city water connection and turn on the water.  This, however, will only clean the hoses between your city water connection and the faucets.  I don't believe it will put it into the fresh water tank.

There has to be a way to put fresh water in the tank through a hose.  Every one of our RVs has had some way to fill the fresh water tank, often on the exterior of the RV.  If there's none, that means you'll always have to be connected to city water and I find that very hard to believe.  It kind of defeats the purpose of having a water tank.  Maybe we should ask if you do in fact have a fresh water tank.  If you do, there HAS to be a way to fill it.  If you find an exterior water opening, we have a small tube-like device (probably got it at someplace like Camping World, about 12 inches long) that has a water hose connector at one end where you have an on-off knob and the tube end is what you insert into the water inlet on the RVs exterior.  That's how you fill the fresh water tank.  Once you find this elusive fresh water fill opening, you pour the bleach into it and then start filling it with water.

If you can't find a connection, what kind of RV do you have (brand, make and model)?  Maybe someone on the Forum has one that's similar and can tell you where to look.

ArdraF
ArdraF
:D :D

Ron

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2007, 08:26:53 PM »
Some MH have a freash water fill port that the cap is removed and water filled through the open port.  Some MH just have a city water connection and a valve is placed in the freash water tank fill position.  With either configuration bleach can be added to the freash water tank.
Ron & Sam-home is where we park it. Currently located   HERE

Alaskansnowbirds

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2007, 09:29:20 PM »
Our MH is just like yours. There is NO external water fill port.

The way to sanitize your fresh water tank is to take your EMPTY water hose and hook it up to your water inlet on your MH. Pour the amount of bleach you want into the empty hose. Hook up the hose to your water supply. Open the valve that fills your fresh water tank. Turn on the water and the water will flush all the bleach out of the hose and into your fresh water tank.

If you are using a filter, take the filter element out when you do this. If you are using a filter you can put the bleach into the filter housing when you take the element out instead of pouring it into the hose.

After you have the water and bleach in your fresh water tank, turn off the city water and turn on the pump and pump water through all the lines. Let it sit and then drain and refill.
Don & Peg
Alaska/Arizona
Currently located here.
Weather at Camp Verde, AZ.

TheNextBillGates

• ---
  • Technology Guru
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2009, 03:40:28 PM »
Might want to add this to the library article. I was just going to ask about this. Our coach also has no fill tube. THANKS!

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2009, 01:23:51 AM »
Quote from: TheNextBillGates
Might want to add this to the library article.

Good suggestion, thanks; I've appended it as a note to the article.
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

tallyo

• ---
  • 2012 Phaeton 40QBH Drinks 6, Eats 4 and Sleeps 2 !
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2009, 08:01:08 AM »
If you use an external water filter, take the filter out and fill the container with chlorine /bleach and turn on the water , fill the tank, then run the water through your system and go for a ride then flush.........now if yer going to store the RV use vodka; then in the spring have a party!!!!! ;D ;D

Marc L

• ---
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2009, 08:13:04 AM »
now if yer going to store the RV use vodka; then in the spring have a party!!!!! ;D ;D

In the US maybe, but in Canada, Vodka is 3 times your price.
Marc...

maddog348

• ---
  • Maddog & 'Sunny'
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2009, 08:49:23 AM »
Like Alaskansnowbirds said.  Took a time or 2 to get the hang of it -- find it is easier for me if hook/tie the'open' end of the hose to the fence about shoulder high then slowly pour in bleach - use another short connector hose from spigot & connect together at elevation so bleach doesn't run out.  JM2C
Pam (a.k.a.-Maddog  (driver))
Kate (a.k.a.-One Eyed Old Lady {nagivator))

2 furry copilots ('Charlie' 15# Terrier/X &  'Bella' 10# Min.Schnauzer/X'

2007 Itasca 'Sunova' 26P ~ 2003 Rav4 'toad'(remco tranny pump)

napalm204

• ---
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2009, 03:02:29 PM »
julies67-

I asked the exact same question a week ago and got similar answers.  The truth is when there is no portal or cap on the tank for introducing your sanitizing mixture, (like on many RV's) one must feed it into the tank by hooking a hose to the tank (just like hooking up the water source) and allowing the mixture to flow into the tank via gravity.  One guy also suggested a long nosed funnel, but however one chooses, it requires the mixture to be put in through the same connection the water goes in.

Cumbersome and even unexpected, but that is the way it apparently must be done.

I have not tried it yet and am still wondering how it will work, but that is the lay of the land as I understand it.

Let me know how it goes if you try it.
Joe Don  -  1995 National Dolphin, model 432, 7.5L / 460 CID Ford gas engine, Ford chasis

TheNextBillGates

• ---
  • Technology Guru
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2009, 06:25:13 PM »
I'll try soon...the funny thing is that the RV manual says to put it in the fill tube, but there isn't one!

Marc L

• ---
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2009, 07:02:41 PM »
 Add the required amount of plain bleach -- 3/4 cup for a 40 gallon tank.  

I just used a 1 cup to 5 gallon to sanitize my 3 primary fermenters and the first thing that came to mind was this post.  Works great at bringing back the white to wine stained fermenters.  But that's another topic altogether.
Marc...

TheNextBillGates

• ---
  • Technology Guru
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2009, 07:24:57 PM »
I just did it. No big deal. Partially filled the tank, then drained the hose and filled with 1.5 cups of bleach for my 92 gallon tank, hooked back to the spigot and filled it up. Will let it sit overnight and flush tomorrow.

tallyo

• ---
  • 2012 Phaeton 40QBH Drinks 6, Eats 4 and Sleeps 2 !
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2009, 09:37:07 AM »
In the US maybe, but in Canada, Vodka is 3 times your price.

You can always charge a small fee for the guests, to offset the price or buy "cheap' vodka. Who will know the difference after it sits 5-6 months in the system????? :o

Hosted by Over The Network