preventing pipes from freezing.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fred1845

Hi.I have a Thor Freeedom Elite.It is stored in back yard.I connected to city water connection with hose from house.and opened faucet to let it drain slowly.and opened grey tank to let it drain onto grass .
Will this prevent pipes from freezing or busting,or is there something else I need to do ? I turned on tank heater also,does that  help ? Thanks .

You didn't say where your trailer is parked, or what the overnight/daytime temperatures are. But opening a faucet and letting water drip/drain helps reduce the possibility of freezing. Get some hose insulation at a hardware store to protect the hose.

If you have an electric heater, put it in the wet bay of your RV and let it run on a low temp setting. If not, put a few incandescent lamps down there to help keep the temp above freezing.

I'm in Florida.We have a freeze warning for a few days.Yeah,it gets cold in the Panhandle sometimes .Not often,not for long .Over nite 30's,day time mid 40's for a few days.

You shouldn't have a problem with temps in the 30s overnight and above freezing during the day. I wouldn't do anything.

If it was colder, opening a faucet won't protect the remaining parts of the system where there is no water flowing: other faucets, shower heads, water pump, water heater, low point drains, etc.

To be safe, just put water in your FW tank, then disconnect your water hose and drain it. You're suppose to get a hard freeze so the hose may freeze solid.

Like Tom said, the low temperature and the duration are the primary factors. If you're going to have prolonged cold and aren't using the camper, use pipe antifreeze (environmentally friendly) is the best way to go. If you're winter camping, it gets a lot more complex.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom