How to tell if I have an inverter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Your coach model didn't come with one from the factory, so it won't be hidden. Usually located in or near the house battery and connected to it with heavy cables. However, if it is something a previous owner added, it's hard to guess where he may have put it and how it is wired to the battery system.

One quick test that is 98% conclusive in most motorhomes: with shore power and genset disconnected/off and the engine off, turn the tv on. If it powers up, you  have an inverter. If not, odds are it does not. Basically, if any wall outlet or the microwave has power when shore cord and genset are off, there must be an inverter somewhere to supply power.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
Your coach model didn't come with one from the factory, so it won't be hidden. Usually located in or near the house battery and connected to it with heavy cables. However, if it is something a previous owner added, it's hard to guess where he may have put it and how it is wired to the battery system.

One quick test that is 98% conclusive in most motorhomes: with shore power and genset disconnected/off and the engine off, turn the tv on. If it powers up, you  have an inverter. If not, odds are it does not. Basically, if any wall outlet or the microwave has power when shore cord and genset are off, there must be an inverter somewhere to supply power.

Thanks, that's what I thought. I don't have TV power when disconnected so I don't think I have one.

wijames2002 said:
Thanks, that's what I thought. I don't have TV power when disconnected so I don't think I have one.

Probably 99 percent right but inverters also have an on/off switch so there is a slim (very slim) possibility you could still have one.  Mine is in an overhead cabinet and services the same plug in that the tv uses. 

Bill

On my panel there is an INVERT button that MUST be push to turn on the inverter.
If it's not turned ON nothing electrical works when not on shore power or generator and engine off.

The only default is when plugged in to AC the House batteries start charging - the inverter doesn't start on it's own.

Larry N. said:
I presume you meant nothing that runs from AC, since lights and other DC items should still work.

Yes - 120volts (or AC) is what I should have said.

Even though 12volts is considered electrical - I usually consider it battery operated.

RedandSilver said:
Yes - 120volts (or AC) is what I should have said.

Even though 12volts is considered electrical - I usually consider it battery operated.

OK, I just wanted to be sure -- certainly 12 VAC (like a doorbell) and 12 VDC are electrical, though the 12 VAC doesn't directly come from batteries. To avoid confusion in the future, just recall that many of us consider DC (and batteries, which are charged from something else) electrical, whether it's a 1.5V dry cell, a 12V car battery, or a 48V telephone office battery.

Thanks,

Back
Top Bottom