Winnebago Minnie Winnie 22R with 5.4L V8 Engine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom55555

Winnebago Minnie Winnie 22R with 5.4L V8 Engine

Gas Mileage and Performance

December 2017, we drove round trip between Cincinnati and Tampa and wanted to share gas mileage and performance information. I-75 is a good example because it has a mix of flat road in Florida, high inclines in Tennessee and lots of rolling hills.

Vehicle, Load & Fuel Type:
2015 Winnebago 22R Minnie Winnie
Approximately 4000 miles on vehicle prior to trip
Ford 5.4 L V8 engine
5 speed automatic transmission
Approximately 1500 pounds of payload
Used regular 87 octane gasoline

Speeds & Fuel Mileage:
Target speed was 75 to 80 on flat road, 70 to 80 on rolling hills and 60 to 80 on high grades
Target RPM was 2000 to 3000 mostly in 5th gear, 4th gear was necessary on highest grades
Total of 2015 miles @ 236.1 gallons = 8.53 MPG

Performance: The 5.4 L V8 engine will get the job done without excessive engine noise between 2000 and 3000 RPM which produces most of the engine?s torque. Cruise control will constantly down shift on anything more than a slight incline or strong head wind. With calm wind on a flat straight road, one hand 80+ MPH driving is effortless with or without cruise control. In contrast, my last RV was an R-Vision, Trail-Lite B Plus with Chevy 8.1 L V8 engine which was 2? shorter, 6? lower, and 1200 pounds lighter. It accelerated much quicker and would maintain higher speeds without down shifting on fairly steep inclines but the suspension was stiffer which degraded ride quality. The Winnebago 22R with 5.4 L engine has an excellent ride quality and is a good value C Class RV but potential buyers should understand their needs and have realistic expectations. It is not fast but will generally handle inclines within GVWR near posted speed limits or keep up with most tractor-trailers. The Bottom line is knowing what you intend to haul and don?t exceed your RV?s GVWR. If you need to pull at or near the maximum GVWR often especially in hilly areas or want to use cruise control up-hill, get a bigger engine.

Over the last three years, with the cruise control set to 65 mph while towing, we've averaged 7.2 mpg over a little less than 14,000 miles. When climbing grades, or anytime the engine load hits 100%, the instant mpg indicates 2.2 mpg. I'm pretty sure I'd have to have my foot on the floor to maintain 80 mph on flat roads. I can't even imagine the fuel bill.

Kev

Welcome!

80 mph - holy cow, you must be in a huge rush. We run at 65 mph on the highway and we average about 7.4 mpg. Our gross combined weight (coach plus Jeep on a trailer) is about 40,000 pounds.

If you would dial back your speed,  I'll bet you can add about two mpg.

Kevin Means said:
Over the last three years, with the cruise control set to 65 mph while towing, we've averaged 7.2 mpg over a little less than 14,000 miles. When climbing grades, or anytime the engine load hits 100%, the instant mpg indicates 2.2 mpg. I'm pretty sure I'd have to have my foot on the floor to maintain 80 mph on flat roads. I can't even imagine the fuel bill.

Kev

I wasn't towing and my payload was about 1500 pounds total. I find cruise control wants to downshift often verses just slowing down a little.

John Canfield said:
Welcome!

80 mph - holy cow, you must be in a huge rush. We run at 65 mph on the highway and we average about 7.4 mpg. Our gross combined weight (coach plus Jeep on a trailer) is about 40,000 pounds.

If you would dial back your speed,  I'll bet you can add about two mpg.

If I was towing I would go slower. I only go 80 mph downhill or on flat roads when traffic is going that fast. I try to stay in 5th gear going uphill and let the speed drop. I try to keep the engine RPM between 2000 to 3000. In Tennessee, sometimes I was down to 55 and had to use 4th gear. I always feel like I'm pushing the engine too hard over 3000 RPM. My gross weight was about 11,300 pounds. 

Wow, 80mph! 

I cruise 60-65 mph and get 10 mpg on my 27' Itasca per my UltraGauge info center  but have yet towed my 20' Alumaweld boat...so though, soon  ;) .

The mpg difference between 60 mph and 80 mph is substantial, regardless of payload or towing.  Probably 2 mpg and maybe as much as 3.  It's all about wind resistance, which increases with the square of the speed. Even 5 mph more makes a substantial difference.

My rig's happy place is 57 MPH (in the right lane).  Not in a hurry.
Get between 11.5 and 13.5 depending on grade and wind.

I think 80MPH is illegal in most states.

Oldgator73 said:
I always thought those speed limit signs were just a suggestion. ;D
No, they're minimums.  Especially here in south Florida.

That's what most people think - that speed "LIMITS" are actually Suggested Minimum Speed.  But they are not.

In Canada this past summer I noticed that instead of "Speed Limit" they use the term "MAX."  Maybe it makes more sense.  They do seem to follow the Maximum Speed Laws much closer than we do.  Of course maybe the penalties are more severe.  I didn't speed, so I didn't get caught, so I didn't find out.

Ron

We lived in Las Vegas for a few years. I don't know if it's true or not but we were told the State and local police would not stop folks for speeding heading towards Vegas. Reason being they wanted them to have plenty of gambling money. Different story for the folks heading out of town.

John wrote: "LOL. We're out in ranch country (Texas) and the speed limit near our exit on I-10 is 80 mph. It's 80 almost all of the way to El Paso, about 400 miles worth.
"

As I said, 80 MPH is illegal in most states.  Texas is big, but it's dwarfed by the rest of the country.

Ron

We have a Minnie Winnie 26a (three slides) with the V10 Triton.  I set the cruise around 65-66 on the highway.  We're in the Midwest, so mountains aren't common until we get into Pennsylvania.  I did the math on the 5000 miles we did last season, and our overall average, including a bit of on-the-road genny time, was right around 8.5 mpg. 

That V10 has plenty of power for our rig.  I've never found myself wishing for any more "umph".  Pretty happy with it so far.

FunSteak said:
We have a Minnie Winnie 26a (three slides) with the V10 Triton.  I set the cruise around 65-66 on the highway.  We're in the Midwest, so mountains aren't common until we get into Pennsylvania.  I did the math on the 5000 miles we did last season, and our overall average, including a bit of on-the-road genny time, was right around 8.5 mpg. 

That V10 has plenty of power for our rig.  I've never found myself wishing for any more "umph".  Pretty happy with it so far.

Thank you for the details.

Slower speed, bigger engine, more weight and getting 8.5 MPG makes perfect sense. Someone suggested by dropping my speed to 60 may reduce my gas consumption by 2 to 3 MPG which also makes sense; if true, it would have saved 61 gallons or $137 @ $2.25 per gallon. It would also have increased drive time by 4.2 hours plus another dog walk (LOL).

edit by staff - fixed quote block

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom