Gas Leak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Turn your bottles on, or open the valve on your tank. Use soapy water to check all connections until you get to the outlet of the regulator. If the leak isn't found doing that, turn your bottles off or close the valve on your tank if built-in. Bleed the pressure from the system through your kitchen range. Unhook your system as close to the outlet of the regulator as you can. Pressurize the system at about 10 psi from an air compressor, then use soapy water around the joints in the system. Normal LP system pressure is only about 1/2 psi, so using the compressed air on the rest of the system will make the leak more apparent.

A spray bottle of windex will let you get to the hard to reach places. It?s my go to product for finding air leaks,tire leaks, any kind of pressure leak.

I catch a scent of propane at times when my tank is on. Outside only. I've been told it could be "normal" due to pressure release? I did test with soapy water before the deep freeze....no leak detected.
Should I seek professional help before we take it on the road next month?

I know a good psychiatrist

Alpena Jeff said:
I catch a scent of propane at times when my tank is on. Outside only. I've been told it could be "normal" due to pressure release? I did test with soapy water before the deep freeze....no leak detected.

That's a difficult question to answer. When I am in these situations I defer to what my wife says to do.  I am being serious for two reasons; sadly enough she is usually right and if she is right and I did not ....well you get what I am saying.
What I am saying is if you ask that question and do not get it checked you will most likely have it on your mind the whole time you are using your RV. This could very well ruin your trip.

Oldgator73 said:
That's a difficult question to answer. When I am in these situations I defer to what my wife says to do.  I am being serious for two reasons; sadly enough she is usually right and if she is right and I did not ....well you get what I am saying.
Loud and clear! ;)

I catch a scent of propane at times when my tank is on. Outside only. I've been told it could be "normal" due to pressure release?

There is a valve that will release pressure by bleeding a some gas off, but that is only to prevent the tank from exploding in a fire or other extreme. There should never be any bleed-off in a normal operating environment. An overfilled tank (greater than 80% by volume) may bleed a bit due to the reduced space for gas expansion.

malexander said:
A match or a lighter works too. ;D

I know most people find that hilarious but I hope there isn't anyone out there that takes you seriously. There are gullible people out there.

Rene T said:
I know most people find that hilarious but I hope there isn't anyone out there that takes you seriously. There are gullible people out there.

I know. That's why I put the big grin on it. :-\

I will have to say I've done it before. I could smell propane when I would go outside, my auxillary/extend a stay tank was just outside the door. I tried to check all the fittings on the tank, but it was SO cold outside that my soapy water would freeze on contact. So I actually did use a lighter. The leak was right at the tank valve and was so small it made a flame about the size of a birthday cake candle.

On a side note, the water for/in the coach was frozen somewhere and the ONLY place I had water was at the outside shower!

Rene T said:

If we as a country have actually become that stupid, we?re doomed.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom